Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading fog lights/main beam  (Read 4858 times)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: upgrading fog lights/main beam
« Reply #45 on: 07 December 2009, 13:28:28 »

I've never understood why all cars not are fitted with superbright headlights as standard-it's a simple, cheap way to improve night driving safety.  Obvious really!

No, I can`t agree with that - the brightness of the bulb may help, sure, but as far as I can tell its the quality of the optics / lens and correct focal length of bulb that is key. I personally have had many cars with some very bright bulbs and although everything closer appears a different colour and certainly brighter, the distance the light goes seldom changes, and certainly deteriorates with many bulbs.

On the other side, I currently have a Subaru forester as a winter hack, the bulbs are fairly dim to look at, but by god, it can light up for miles ahead of me - withoubt a doubt the best headlights I have ever driven on

Ok-the decent ones then, like I always use which are optically correct and last well: the best are Philips Xtremes

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #46 on: 07 December 2009, 13:52:49 »

I've never understood why all cars not are fitted with superbright headlights as standard-it's a simple, cheap way to improve night driving safety.  Obvious really!

No, I can`t agree with that - the brightness of the bulb may help, sure, but as far as I can tell its the quality of the optics / lens and correct focal length of bulb that is key. I personally have had many cars with some very bright bulbs and although everything closer appears a different colour and certainly brighter, the distance the light goes seldom changes, and certainly deteriorates with many bulbs.

On the other side, I currently have a Subaru forester as a winter hack, the bulbs are fairly dim to look at, but by god, it can light up for miles ahead of me - withoubt a doubt the best headlights I have ever driven on

Ok-the decent ones then, like I always use which are optically correct and last well: the best are Philips Xtremes

You are right  :y

Pay good money for a recognised branded bulb and all should be well

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #47 on: 07 December 2009, 18:24:42 »

Not sure if it was a web site or just a thread on a site, but when searching for info on a hid upgrade i stumbled on a whole long conversation on Zenon and hid head lights and how overly bright they are and they should be banned, and i nearly drove into a ditch  blinded by one of those new BMWs etc etc.

You just cant please all of the people all of the time. I still get flashed with my hids, they passed the MOT with flying colours, and i asked the tester to be really fussy with the lights.

Mark dtm's garage door trick for setting head lights works very well by the way. :-)

Martin_1962

« Reply #48 on: 07 December 2009, 20:19:52 »

Off roader HIDs are worst - eye height and fully legal :o :o

My HID conversion is great :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.