Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ECU swap to be or not too be lol  (Read 5363 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: ECU swap to be or not too be lol
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2010, 13:37:29 »

no not them  it plugs into ecu and the one on car fits into it 2" space needed, seen them on sport shop in motor shop. so have 2 ratings and some go up to 10 ratings.

;D ;D ;D

Seen those, 'adjustable boost control' don't tell me you belive the bull they say?

All those do is try and fool the ECU into thinking its colder outside and to try and force more fuel in...... but the ECU soon learns and those devices become useless
« Last Edit: 15 January 2010, 13:37:54 by tunnie »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2010, 13:49:10 »

no not them  it plugs into ecu and the one on car fits into it 2" space needed, seen them on sport shop in motor shop. so have 2 ratings and some go up to 10 ratings.

Yes, so all it's doing is manipulating the inputs to the ECU to "fool" it into using more boost or injecting more fuel.

Much better to use a proper chip that actually has a map to control the engine outside the "factory" parameters that are present in the original configuration.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2010, 18:07:50 »

hi all ok been to see a remap geezer in cannock staffs today, he reckons he has the correct equipment laptop to plug in via obd socket and modify my tractor and offers such a service that he comes out in the car and customs it for my own needs until i'm happy with changes, i.e more ummph and smoother rev due to turbo timing being modified, also reckons slight gain say 2-3 mpg and no known issues with computer mis reading after remap, normal price £150 but as i work local and paying cash he will do it for £130, he said no need with his tools to open up and pull out chip etc

so over to the experts for your opinions on this geezer, he does own a very to do performance shop and even has a seperate workshop on site for pure tooled up engine builds etc

so questions on a postcard is he for real or is he for a 6ft trench in the woods lol

« Last Edit: 16 February 2010, 18:09:13 by shark1e »
2.5 cdtd omega 1999 manual estate Chipped and poorly at the moment -  is there a doctor in the house

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2010, 22:40:12 »

If not, I can strongly recommend Motech who do much the same.
http://www.motechperformance.co.uk/

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2010, 23:05:27 »

Hi all,

Ok looking to get mine remapped to get more BHP and better MPG

question is will it help?

MPG increase yes or no?
BHP increase yes or no?

if yes then what is cheapest and best way to go about it?

Do i get a spare ECU so i have original as backup or put back to normal and spare as remapped one?

cost to remap in staffordshire area?

thanks in advance

Shark1e

MPG increase - possibly a mile or two more per gallon, though certainly no noticeable increased consumption
BHP increase - yes.
The chip that many of us have sends the engine back to BMW spec of 143BHP plus 10%, (so around 150 horses).
Driveability - a very marked improvement.
Much better low-down torque, though a tad of black smoke on initial acceleration. Mine still flew through the MoT emission test though.
Cost of chip - around 70 quid, just 'PM' TheBoy.
Recommended - YES!
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2010, 23:27:25 »

hi all ok been to see a remap geezer in cannock staffs today, he reckons he has the correct equipment laptop to plug in via obd socket and modify my tractor and offers such a service that he comes out in the car and customs it for my own needs until i'm happy with changes, i.e more ummph and smoother rev due to turbo timing being modified, also reckons slight gain say 2-3 mpg and no known issues with computer mis reading after remap, normal price £150 but as i work local and paying cash he will do it for £130, he said no need with his tools to open up and pull out chip etc

so over to the experts for your opinions on this geezer, he does own a very to do performance shop and even has a seperate workshop on site for pure tooled up engine builds etc

so questions on a postcard is he for real or is he for a 6ft trench in the woods lol

He talks out of his @rse. The map on this ECU is stored in a PROM, hence the only way to change it is to open the ECU and physically change the chip.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2010, 08:22:32 »

Indeed, there is jack shite he can do by the (non) OBDII socket as the map is stored on a hard programmed EPROM which is soldered the to the ECU PCB!

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2010, 09:06:38 »

should be interesting when i turn up then, cuz he ain't getting anymore money above the £130 even if he has to pull the chip out, he quoted me and thats that, we paddys aint much for being arsed about. will update later

thanks all
2.5 cdtd omega 1999 manual estate Chipped and poorly at the moment -  is there a doctor in the house

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2010, 12:55:46 »

should be interesting when i turn up then, cuz he ain't getting anymore money above the £130 even if he has to pull the chip out, he quoted me and thats that, we paddys aint much for being arsed about. will update later

thanks all

Also, bear in mind that if he doesn't open the ECU he is selling snake oil, so don't pay him at all! :y

Kevin

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2010, 15:29:33 »

ok either book me in to the nearest nut house or this guy does what it says on the tin,

right i watched him plug in the lead to the obd11 and it downloaded a hell of a lot of folders and files, like turbo timing, delay etc wastegate timing delay etc, loads took about 90 sec, then off we went to the office where he edited files and after 10 mins said hes ready to upload new files, told me to drive steady for 8-10 miles then should have reset all sensors by then, ok now before i had problems accelerating in 3rd/4th/5th gears, now it pulls in all but more so in 3 and 4, so if snake oil how the hell is it doing that? now when i booted it before it did smoke a bit, now no smoke so where did it go? the turbo does seem to kick in faster now, and less pause between gear changes,
and he never had the bonnet up!!!

still feel it could be better but i honestly do see and feel a difference, so how can this be?

the program he used was something like "engine uitv"
he said if not happy come back and he will alter to suit my needs etc,

so am i mad or is he for real, also he knocked another £10 so now £120 as i kept mentioning the club lol and how everyone would be very interested in the results, and also if it was shite, and shite sticks better than good results lol he agreed.

so over to you all-----
« Last Edit: 17 February 2010, 15:32:19 by shark1e »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2010, 19:14:20 »

ok either book me in to the nearest nut house or this guy does what it says on the tin,

right i watched him plug in the lead to the obd11 and it downloaded a hell of a lot of folders and files, like turbo timing, delay etc wastegate timing delay etc, loads took about 90 sec, then off we went to the office where he edited files and after 10 mins said hes ready to upload new files, told me to drive steady for 8-10 miles then should have reset all sensors by then, ok now before i had problems accelerating in 3rd/4th/5th gears, now it pulls in all but more so in 3 and 4, so if snake oil how the hell is it doing that? now when i booted it before it did smoke a bit, now no smoke so where did it go? the turbo does seem to kick in faster now, and less pause between gear changes,
and he never had the bonnet up!!!

still feel it could be better but i honestly do see and feel a difference, so how can this be?

the program he used was something like "engine uitv"
he said if not happy come back and he will alter to suit my needs etc,

so am i mad or is he for real, also he knocked another £10 so now £120 as i kept mentioning the club lol and how everyone would be very interested in the results, and also if it was shite, and shite sticks better than good results lol he agreed.

so over to you all-----
Firstly, let me make this 100% clear.  I don't make anything from the chips supplied by my contact - I simply forward details.  Therefore, I have nothing to gain or lose either way :y.  Thus my answers are 100% honest :y

X25DT engine ECU (DDE2.1) is NOT OBDII compliant.

The wastegate on the X25DT engine is NOT ecu controlled, its purely mechanical.

The turbocharger on the X25DT is entirely mechanical, thus not ECU controlled.

The actual ECU software and the engine maps are both stored on (seperate) EPROMS. Note EPROMS. Not EEPROMS. They cannot be reprogrammed without removal, 15mins under a UV tube, and reprogrammed, before refitting.

At best, he has reset some of the learned values in the ECU.  This will soon revert to what it was, as the ECU constantly adjusts its Block Learn.  Actually, disconnecting ECU will do the same as well.

Assuming that he hasn't done one of those resistor 'fool the ecu that engine is cold' bodges, I would say that the (slight (barely noticable), going by your comments) improvements are what you want to believe.  The chips that I have recommended (and had myself when I had a 2.5TD) are immediately, massively noticible - much better power delivery, lots more of it as well.

As I said, I just want to reiterate, I get no backhanders, commision, whatever from these chips :)
Grumpy old man

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2010, 19:31:49 »

i trust what your saying mate but i'm not imagining the difference although i have been back to him after leaving work, and said it could be better, he plugged in a diagnostics handheld to see if there were any underlying errors or faults, result none so all good there,

he then re uploaded the files and it seemed even better than the first time. but i will see tomorrow on the way to work, like you said in the pm even with the chip from terry it won't win any races but you will see the diff etc, but if this guy is wrong then i will having my cash back no problems,

thanks for your info and i will update over the next couple of days, thanks rob

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2010, 19:55:58 »

just remembered the software he used on his lappy = enginuity v0.4.0 beta along with a obd11 usb lead very similar to the shape and colour blue / purple  of the ones on ebay.

so have i been taken from the rear severly? may well have been.

ok well looks like i will be paying him a visit tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 17 February 2010, 19:56:28 by shark1e »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2010, 20:04:21 »

Somewhat worrying ...

a google has found a load of stuff from 2006 on this site ...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134783-enginuity-tuning-software-released-alpha-version-2.html

all the links to enginuity fail ......  :(

but another comment shows it has been renamed to RomRaider

http://www.romraider.com

and is a FREE so-called tuning aid ....  :(

and it is ALL Subaru orientated !!!!

"touch not with a barge pole" comes to mind !!!

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 February 2010, 20:10:54 »

urrrmh the software i just dowloaded is the one he used, and is off soundforge free shite i'm not happy now.

can anyone help me with what last 3 digits on my ecu are needed for the new chip jobby, i have loads of numbers and even a mobile number written on it lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.