Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing homemade cd's on car cd player?  (Read 7754 times)

file28

Re: Playing homemade cd's on car cd player?
« Reply #30 on: 13 February 2008, 13:44:30 »

thanks mark that really simplifies it :o

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2008, 14:27:48 »

So, it’s not recommended to play any CDR’s or CDRW’s. Trouble is that most of my CD’s are copied so that original is untouched.
DaveDND – as I understand, this is a laser unit problem, not the player. I know that these lasers (FL models) are quite expensive (how much BTW) but is there any way to fit different laser that will not have any problems with reading CDR’s?
I know that the best way is to change the unit but as it’s 2DIN unit in FLs, it’s expensive to buy the player, 1DIN cover, cables (steering wheel controls)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2008, 14:47:39 »

The technology of the basic stereo is simply not there to run a different type of laser, and with the unit being so old, it just isn`t economic to redesign a circuit to allow a 10 year old stereo to run what is essentially illegally copied discs.

I understand your thinking - but it aint happenin !
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2008, 14:57:33 »

My radio is not even 8 years old! ;)
So the only way to avoid constant laser damage is to buy a decent MP3 unit?
I might be wrong but I can make one copy of any CD or DVD as a “backup”.
Anyway, as an expert, can you please advice any good unit which can be plugged to Omega (with steering wheel buttons operation)? I don’t fancy radio on MID display so it’s not a desirable feature.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 February 2008, 15:39:25 »

Why mess about writing CDs anyway?

Surely MP3 is the ideal format for car use. I would be happy with a head unit containing a tuner and a hard drive on a caddy. Just fill it up with MP3s at your preferred level of compression and you've got your whole music collection.

Is there something on the market like the old Dension units that used to do this?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #35 on: 14 February 2008, 16:10:10 »

The best way for storing mass MP3`s these days is almost without question the iPod.

I would also be very surprised if there was not an interface available to allow connection to the standard head unit - somebody else here will have the answer to that one.

As far as other formats - Dension is still around, but the high cost and FM modulator lose out to the iPod again. Dedicated HDD head units are still too close to four figures to be considered, and if going for a genuine aftermarket head unit, most have steering control and iPod connectivity solutions - just make sure you go for a good quality brand.
www.dndservices.co.uk

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 February 2008, 16:17:01 »

I will have to start looking for a new stereo, but it's not urgent. If you have any suggestions about something that works with GM car, let us know.
Is there any way to make an "AUX-IN" in 2DIN units? I know that TraffcMaster playes messages throught the radio so there is a way to connect it (maybe it's just a FM transmitter so the quality is poor).

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #37 on: 14 February 2008, 16:32:36 »

We use these transmitters - they are excellent and inlike the others, you do not need to mess around with the aerial leads - which is generally where the interference problems start !!

http://ice.dndservices.co.uk/shop_show_item.php/ST/savv/IID/2947/PAGE/shop_search_index.php
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 February 2008, 17:12:19 »

The best way for storing mass MP3`s these days is almost without question the iPod.

It just seems an expensive way of buying a hard drive and also something that's liable to get nicked out of the car if you don't disconnect it and take it with you every time you leave the car... There seems to be very little else, though. :-/

What with mobile phones, sat nav, etc. I'm sick of gadgets that I have to take with me.

Regarding feeding audio into the factory head units the trafficmaster / phone input is mono. However, I have been meaning to pull my CCR2006 out and figure out a way to connect a stereo input.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #39 on: 14 February 2008, 17:20:21 »

Expensive?

you must  be joking !

I picked up a 40GB ipod for £35 on ebay, I have stored on it enough music to last nearly a month with duplicating the same track, and I leave it permanently attatched to the stereo so that it charges and runs as soon as the stereo is turned on - and this is velcro`d to the inside of my glovebox so that I never need to look at it, let alone take it out !
www.dndservices.co.uk

Martin_1962

« Reply #40 on: 14 February 2008, 18:31:20 »

And decent MP3 players can work as well.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2008, 21:26:33 »

Expensive?

you must  be joking !

I picked up a 40GB ipod for £35 on ebay, I have stored on it enough music to last nearly a month with duplicating the same track, and I leave it permanently attatched to the stereo so that it charges and runs as soon as the stereo is turned on - and this is velcro`d to the inside of my glovebox so that I never need to look at it, let alone take it out !

Fair enough  :-[ Hadn't thought about a 2nd hand one TBH. Don't know why. Most of my stuff comes from Ebay. Will keep an eye out for one.

I assume you've got a head unit that can talk to it - or is it possible for it to power up and start playing automatically with just audio and power connections.

Kevin

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2008, 21:55:31 »

There are a number of ways to connect an iPod - really depends on budget and requirements.

Some of (but not all) options are - a head unit that can control the iPod directly via a dedicated socket or interface, an fm modulator, or via a basic aux in lead where you still control the iPod frrom its own switches and simply pipe the music through the head unit.

options are almost infinate !!
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2008, 14:11:11 »

They do appear to be a lot of leads for ipod that just enable you to connect up the ipod (electrically) in place of CD Changer, allowing head unit controls (and steering wheel controls) to control the ipod.  The ones I've seen, you create 6 (or 10) playlists on the ipod, and these become the 'CDs' as far as the headunit is concerned.
Grumpy old man

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 February 2008, 16:43:01 »

Do you know how to do it, or somebody who knows?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.