Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any sorento owners?  (Read 8136 times)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Any sorento owners?
« on: 21 February 2017, 12:05:21 »

Has anyone ever owned or had experience with a Kia Sorento 4x4? I'm basically having to sell my omega to accommodate her horse hobby :(

We're looking at 07 plates as they have the facelift and 168bhp standard, and xe model as they have 2wd and 4wd on demand. Everything else seems permanent 4wd and a very sensitive torque on demand system which can go wrong.

Just want to know anything else to be looking out for? Unfortunately the xe is the more basic model so not many have leather seats or cruise control.

I'm not excepting any automatics this time! It's just not for me

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Any sorento owners?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2017, 14:24:10 »

Sorry, no experience with the sorento, but surely the omega would tow a nag-in-a-box without issue? You could even get a set of Mud &a snow spec tyres for the damper months.

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2017, 14:34:58 »

It can tow the trailer with one horse, that's pretty much the limit but she wants to tow 2. Plus my cars lowered so the rear trailer wheels are barely on the ground, doesn't make for a comfortable ride.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2017, 15:12:24 »

Why own a horse and then cart it around?

Surely a set of reigns attached to the rear towing eye should suffice?

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2017, 15:12:59 »

I thought horses came with a complimentary Range Rover? ???

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2017, 15:27:13 »

I think you'll find what happens is that proximity to horses triggers blindness as to what is, or is not a reasonable sum of money to pay for things. Thus making a range rover the next logical step.  ;D

This phenomenon has also been observed in females during preparation for a wedding celebration.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2017, 15:50:20 »

I think you'll find what happens is that proximity to horses triggers blindness as to what is, or is not a reasonable sum of money to pay for things. Thus making a range rover the next logical step.  ;D

Yep, and then they buy a tatty 20 year old box van and cart the horses around in that at 20 MPH, making the Range Rover a mere fashion accessory. ;D

In other words: spend the money on a 20 year old box van and keep the Omega. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2017, 16:07:22 »

This phenomenon has also been observed in females during preparation for a wedding celebration.

PMSL  ;D ;D ;D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2017, 16:11:05 »

Poor pete, I feel like I've dragged his thread well off topic now  :-[ :-[ :-[

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2017, 16:11:49 »

Back on topic :

Kia Sorento has a towing capacity of 2-2.5T going by a quick google.  Depending on the size of her horses and whether it's a proper ifor trailer and kit weight etc you might need to go discovery/range rover/defender/land cruiser amazon or the other one that's rated to 3.5T towing... I forget...

Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2017, 16:41:42 »

It can tow the trailer with one horse, that's pretty much the limit but she wants to tow 2. Plus my cars lowered so the rear trailer wheels are barely on the ground, doesn't make for a comfortable ride.
That'll learn ya... ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2017, 17:13:17 »

I don't know much about them as I've never had one.. but Sorento's were very popular for a while on the caravan circuit, I know several folks who have had them, but only one still does .... I don't fully know why but the bad bits I remember are :

One guy went through 3 turbos very quickly, seems that once one goes it keeps chewing them for a pastime, he now uses a Honda CRV.

There have been several occasions where, after dragging themselves and their vans out of muddy fields, that folks could not get out of "low/4 WD" without going through some long winded reset procedure. Luckily, on one occasion where someone completely blocked the gateway there was someone else who knew the procedure and we could then all go home with calling the rescue truck ....

The guy who still has one .. 56 plate I think .. has had a LARGE amount of welding done to the rear chassis, including a complete new cross member due to corrosion, he only still has it due to the money he has spent on it .....

On the field they appear capable enough, but seem to have the turning circle of the QE2, and are very sensitive to having decent tyres in order not to get stuck, on a couple of occasions I know of a Disco (with good off-road tyres) having to pull one guy out as he refused to buy off-road tyres .... he now also has a CRV, but still won't buy proper tyres for it.

HTH a little

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2017, 18:24:32 »

One man I vaguely know offered this advice to anyone considering owning a horse: Put your shotgun under your chin, and pull both triggers. And being a pilot, he knew all about unavoidable expenses ;)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2017, 19:08:00 »

Darn it you lot have been busy.

I would love a Range Rover but the price is crazy and the older ones are a electrical nightmare, I've seen a few issues with the sorento but not in huge numbers or common to all.
Theres a local one forsale that I've been told had a engine rebuild due to blown turbo so asked him for details on who did it and got nothing back so I guess it was bodged to sell.

The newer sorento doesn't tow much at all, the 07 year and similar can do 2.8 or the titan spec 3.5 iirc

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2017, 19:09:20 »

My next problem will be I'm just a baby so have to do my trailer test :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.