Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Won't Go Out  (Read 1111 times)

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
Display Won't Go Out
« on: 19 January 2020, 18:17:25 »

Firstly, the car isn't getting a lot of use at the moment. Started it this morning, first time since Thursday, a lot of condensation inside.

Noticed the display was blank where the date should be. Put the radio on and the station name was displayed as usual. Switched the radio off and date display blank again.

Finished with the car tonight and the display won't go out.

Still lit 2 hours later.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Display Won't Go Out
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2020, 18:50:03 »

Had the same on my 95 mv6. Did a lot of trial and error before i figured it out. Display gets signal from radio to switch on. But since the radio is off the date just dissapears and all you see is blank screen. I found in mine that there is a line from radio to display that is powered by the radio. This turns the display on. This line also goes to the aerial amplifier to switch that on when radio comes on. Took the radio out and measured that line and found that It was powered even with radio removed sometimes. So something that got constant power is shorted to the radio/display/aerial amp line. Central locking system was my first guess so checked the wiring to the tailgate(estate) which was cracked but didnt cause the issues. Finally traced it down to the cable tray in the front passenger floor. (LHD car). A lot of wires down there in wet floor insulation. Central locking cables and antenna power were corroded. Cut ut wires, soldered in new and insulated and problem went away.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2020, 18:53:16 »

Check your pollen filter drain whilst you are there ;)

The floor can literally absorb litres of water before the carpet gets wet.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2020, 11:54:43 »

Had the same on my 95 mv6. Did a lot of trial and error before i figured it out. Display gets signal from radio to switch on. But since the radio is off the date just dissapears and all you see is blank screen. I found in mine that there is a line from radio to display that is powered by the radio. This turns the display on. This line also goes to the aerial amplifier to switch that on when radio comes on. Took the radio out and measured that line and found that It was powered even with radio removed sometimes. So something that got constant power is shorted to the radio/display/aerial amp line. Central locking system was my first guess so checked the wiring to the tailgate(estate) which was cracked but didnt cause the issues. Finally traced it down to the cable tray in the front passenger floor. (LHD car). A lot of wires down there in wet floor insulation. Central locking cables and antenna power were corroded. Cut ut wires, soldered in new and insulated and problem went away.
Being RHD, does the loom still run the same? Should I be looking for wires on the drivers side?

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2020, 12:21:28 »

Dont know. Lhd cars have the alarm/central locking ecu behind the passenger kick panel. Wiring runs there and further down the sill to the back. But there are cable trays with a massive amount of wiring across both front footwells. I believe the wire you are looking for is red with a white tracer. Do you have remote control for the radio on the steering wheel? Do those buttons also stay lit? Mine didnt have them but i believe they are powered by the same line. Easiest way to confirm if this is your problem would be to remove radio, locate the red/white wire behind it and disconnect the one that goes to the mid from the rest of the loom. Removing the radio alone wont help. If display now works normally(without radio info) the red/white wire between display/radio/steering wheel control/CD autochanger is your problem.
I have never owned a facelift so cant be sure if the wiring colours are the same.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2020, 17:17:47 »

Being RHD, does the loom still run the same? Should I be looking for wires on the drivers side?
Yup.
All Omega wiring runs the same regardless of steering wheel position. Some run through the dash, and some run across both foot wells and over the tunnel.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.