Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad news for Opti  (Read 9677 times)

STEMO

Sad news for Opti
« on: 04 July 2019, 17:05:55 »

Sales of hybrid and electric vehicles fell for the first time last month. Only half the number were sold, compared to the same time last year.
I know Opti loves a proper milk float.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news for Opti
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 17:08:18 »

How does that compare to the sales of normal cars?

I suspect that we're barely a couple of years from another global economic meltdown  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 17:10:56 »

I suspect that we're barely a couple of years from another global economic meltdown  :-\
'Normal' cars have been declining for years, obviously. But hybrid/electric have been bucking that trend. Not so now.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 17:42:22 »

until the national grid is massively updated ,electric cars are not a viable option for most people

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2019, 17:43:50 »

Not hard to see why, the tax advantages of hybrids are being slashed. Quite rightly in my view as they are basically a tax compliance exercise. They have a barely usable range (less than 30 real world miles in most cases). Contrast that with full EVs (albeit they are still a tiny segment of the market):

Quote from: Some online news site
The low emission vehicle segment also experienced its first drop in demand in more than two years, trade body SMMT said.

But while sales of plug-in hybrid vehicles fell more than 50 per cent last month compared to June 2018, following the removal of government grants last year, sales of battery EVs shot up more than 61 per cent, making it one of the few segments of the UK car market to enjoy demand growth.

Overall, battery EV sales have soared by 60.3 per cent over the first half of 2019 compared to the same period last year, with British motorists registering almost 12,000 new EVs over the past six months. In comparison, just under 7,500 new EV sales were registered in the first half of 2018.

Talking of cost, our gawd awful payroll providers have finally straightened my payslips out so I can see the impact of having my milk float. £77 a week all in, including insurance, tyres, servicing, oh and my free electricity from work  8). That compares to £63 a week in diesel alone in the Ovlov. If I were paying for my own electric, it would be costing me somewhere around £99 per week.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2019, 17:46:35 »

I misunderstood what I read. I read plug-in hybrid as electric. My bad.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2019, 17:48:37 »

until the national grid is massively updated ,electric cars are not a viable option for most people

What makes you think that? The majority of people in the UK travel less than 10,000 miles per year or 192 miles a week. So even with a short range EV like mine, you would only have to charge it about once every 3-4 days...

Whether they make economic sense for most people is a whole different question. But its the same question you could ask about any new car.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2019, 17:50:29 »

What makes you think that? The majoritypeople in the UK travel less than 10,000 miles per year or 192 miles a week. So even with a short range EV like mine, you would only have to charge it about once every 3-4 days...

Whether they make economic sense for most people is a whole different question. But its the same question you could ask about any new car.
The older my car gets, the more economic sense it makes to keep it. It runs great, but is worth less as a trade in each year.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2019, 17:57:39 »

What makes you think that? The majoritypeople in the UK travel less than 10,000 miles per year or 192 miles a week. So even with a short range EV like mine, you would only have to charge it about once every 3-4 days...

The older my car gets, the more economic sense it makes to keep it. It runs great, but is worth less as a trade in each year.

Exactly & so true I can cruise around in my V8 Merc I owe nothing on it & it owes me nothing & still turns heads .

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2019, 18:09:17 »

Especially if you live, like a lot of people do, in blocks of flats! ::) ::) ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2019, 18:10:06 »

What makes you think that? The majority of people in the UK travel less than 10,000 miles per year or 192 miles a week. So even with a short range EV like mine, you would only have to charge it about once every 3-4 days...

we don't have the power stations to cope
much of the grid is antiquated HV infrastructure
a big chunk of domestic supply cabling in the street is run over capacity and is ancient
DNOs have down-rated many cut outs to 60A

the UK national grid needs a complete overhaul before the government push electric cars onto us all

that will cost billions , recycling are current cars uses masses of energy,
harvesting and shipping the raw materials for electric cars or green energy generation uses masses of energy
"carbon footprint" wise  , swapping to electric cars is crazy
to do any good, public transport needs massive a overhaul to be usable ,so people don't have personal cars

all the updates will cost a gallilion £££££ ,massive carbon footprint and more pollution

for some people, electric cars will work, for some push bikes work , some walk
electric cars for all will NOT work

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2019, 18:32:15 »

'Normal' cars have been declining for years, obviously. But hybrid/electric have been bucking that trend. Not so now.

Yes....perhaps diesel is the new electric. ::) ::) ::) :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2019, 18:36:49 »

Actually I've been showing 'interest' in the Tesla 3 Performance.

Nippy little 'appliance' devoid of soul and passion but it least it seems to have a reasonable range (at least for a year or two before the batteries drop to 50% or so)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2019, 18:46:49 »

Not hard to see why, the tax advantages of hybrids are being slashed. Quite rightly in my view as they are basically a tax compliance exercise. They have a barely usable range (less than 30 real world miles in most cases). Contrast that with full EVs (albeit they are still a tiny segment of the market):

Quote from: Some online news site
The low emission vehicle segment also experienced its first drop in demand in more than two years, trade body SMMT said.

But while sales of plug-in hybrid vehicles fell more than 50 per cent last month compared to June 2018, following the removal of government grants last year, sales of battery EVs shot up more than 61 per cent, making it one of the few segments of the UK car market to enjoy demand growth.

Overall, battery EV sales have soared by 60.3 per cent over the first half of 2019 compared to the same period last year, with British motorists registering almost 12,000 new EVs over the past six months. In comparison, just under 7,500 new EV sales were registered in the first half of 2018.

Talking of cost, our gawd awful payroll providers have finally straightened my payslips out so I can see the impact of having my milk float. £77 a week all in, including insurance, tyres, servicing, oh and my free electricity from work  8). That compares to £63 a week in diesel alone in the Ovlov. If I were paying for my own electric, it would be costing me somewhere around £99 per week.

Jimmy......we at OOF only want to hear about your milk float if......

1......It breaks down and you are left stranded in the pissing rain with a flat battery.
2......It catches fire.
3......It does both of the above. ;) :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2019, 18:55:21 »

if work where giving you "all the petrol you can drink" for free , would you be driving an EV  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.