Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad news for Opti  (Read 9662 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news for Opti
« Reply #30 on: 04 July 2019, 20:25:43 »

I can't read your reply Lizzie with all these tears in my eyes  :'(

Ahhhhh, that's so sad :'( :'( :-*

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 July 2019, 20:41:30 »

I love my current gas guzzler and that is why I keep her.

But, almost all of us is talking about this subject in 2019.  The Government, with some critism that they are not doing it all fast enough, is talking about no new petrol or diesel vehicles after......... wait for it.........2040

Now that is 21 years away, which means a lot will happen before then to resolve any issues about electric or other non-fossil fuel vehicles. Power supplies, charging points, and any other difficulties will not exist in 2040, if not before as it will all be resolved.

Our current cars will be almost totally life expired and either recycled or in a collection. By progression the motor vehicle will naturally change as the younger generations take over, just as 4 star, leaded fuelled vehicles so quickly disappeared, were converted to unleaded, or were scrapped.

That is what happens as new technology evolves, just like when the horse and cart disappeared and the motoring infrastructure we know today developed.

Let us, of advancing years, not get too worked up about it. It will all be ok 'on the day' ;)
:o :o
Lizzie removed from Christmas card list  :(

IF the government start now (which they won't) , they might have most of the infrastructure in place by 2040
disruption in the interim will be horrendous

Ah, i said "us of advancing years Dave, so I was keeping you and the other youngsters out of that description :D :D ;)

It will also not be the government. It will be the private sector that will do it all for the profits they believe are up for grabs. It was the same for the railways, with private investors being pursuaded (conned) to sink their money into the new technology. ::) :D
It's the government that needs to pay millions on reports and commissions and feasibility studies to start the ball rolling and find investors to pay for what will be the biggest overhaul of "our electrics" since Victorian times 
this should have been done and British investors in place  ;D :D
personally , i think water,electric gas and public transport should be nationalized again ,but run better/properly obviously  ::)

3 rolls of andrex later ......
so not us young OOFers then  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 July 2019, 23:21:09 »

I love my current gas guzzler and that is why I keep her.

But, almost all of us is talking about this subject in 2019.  The Government, with some critism that they are not doing it all fast enough, is talking about no new petrol or diesel vehicles after......... wait for it.........2040

Now that is 21 years away, which means a lot will happen before then to resolve any issues about electric or other non-fossil fuel vehicles. Power supplies, charging points, and any other difficulties will not exist in 2040, if not before as it will all be resolved.

Our current cars will be almost totally life expired and either recycled or in a collection. By progression the motor vehicle will naturally change as the younger generations take over, just as 4 star, leaded fuelled vehicles so quickly disappeared, were converted to unleaded, or were scrapped.

That is what happens as new technology evolves, just like when the horse and cart disappeared and the motoring infrastructure we know today developed.

Let us, of advancing years, not get too worked up about it. It will all be ok 'on the day' ;)
:o :o
Lizzie removed from Christmas card list  :(

IF the government start now (which they won't) , they might have most of the infrastructure in place by 2040
disruption in the interim will be horrendous

Ah, i said "us of advancing years Dave, so I was keeping you and the other youngsters out of that description :D :D ;)

It will also not be the government. It will be the private sector that will do it all for the profits they believe are up for grabs. It was the same for the railways, with private investors being pursuaded (conned) to sink their money into the new technology. ::) :D
It's the government that needs to pay millions on reports and commissions and feasibility studies to start the ball rolling and find investors to pay for what will be the biggest overhaul of "our electrics" since Victorian times 
this should have been done and British investors in place  ;D :D
personally , i think water,electric gas and public transport should be nationalized again ,but run better/properly obviously  ::)

3 rolls of andrex later ......
so not us young OOFers then  :)

Nope! :-* :-*  :D :D ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 July 2019, 23:34:02 »

How does that compare to the sales of normal cars?

I suspect that we're barely a couple of years from another global economic meltdown  :-\

Lots of negative figures suggest about a 6 month lead in time to the next recession. Trump's trade wars are one of a number of factors with uncertainty holding back investment. US freight levels & revenues show that their economy is slowing down. This has been an unusually long economic cycle. EU is in much worse shape where they are already having an economic slowdown from QE stopping but ZRIP & NRIP continuing. The failure beyond using smoke & mirrors to pretend non-performing bank loans are perform & will be paid back ;D ;D ;D is going to hit EU banks hard, just don't mention the war or Deutsche Bank. ::) ::) ::) We need to be out of the EU on 31/10 with no deal or an outline WTO Article XXIV FTA so zero tariffs for both sides apply as May's surrender document makes us liable for up to €1tn in joint Eurozone bailout funds for up to 10 years after we leave. >:( >:( >:( If we get caught for this it will massively increase UK sovereign debt & probably higher long term interest rates. :( :( :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 July 2019, 00:26:32 »

Google as Google does put a group of committed greens & engineering PHDs together as an incubator to plan & execute Google's green renewables future & new income streams. After 5 years the division has closed as their conclusion was that renewables can never ever be made to work without the current fossil fuel power generation being in place 24/7 as backup with many plants just sitting on idle to chime in at a moments notice to keep grid stability due to the intermittent nature of renewables. Some of their other conclusions were:

1. Not enough global cobalt reserves.
2. Society has progressed from wood to coal to oil & gas & finally nuclear with ever increasing power densities & lowering of costs. Renewables are a regression from this & battery backup in the quantities required is a non-starter in terms of natural resources, cost & numbers.
3. The only viable route if you want to reduce CO2 (although god knows IMO why you would possibly want to stop this most welcome survival of plants & multi-cellular life saving CO2 correction over a complete carbon cycle) then nuclear fusion & fission is the only way forward & if you look at the number of nuclear power station deaths they are a fraction of those of miners & without all these OTT safety systems electricity really would be too cheap to bother metering.

Lot of these green fantasies are now going to hit the cold light of reality, so make a choice, follow the green fantasies, deindustrialise & regress back to the middle ages, their lifestyles & lifespans or accept what is doable as we continue to advance society & civilization. If you look at what progress we have made in the last 200 years in terms of knowledge, innovation, energy efficiency & reducing pollution, what can we achieve in the next 200?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 July 2019, 00:55:45 »

One little battery (288 Megawatt /hour) that works ,and has been working for over 30 years is Electric Mountain   8)
that's even better than Duracel heavy duty  ;D
and you don't need to throw it in the bin after a few years and make another

using solar cells on everyone's roof to charge the battery in cars ,to then run our houses is a novel idea but I don't think that will be in place in time for 2040

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 July 2019, 10:42:40 »

1. Not enough global cobalt reserves.
2. Society has progressed from wood to coal to oil & gas & finally nuclear with ever increasing power densities & lowering of costs. Renewables are a regression from this & battery backup in the quantities required is a non-starter in terms of natural resources, cost & numbers.
3. The only viable route if you want to reduce CO2 (although god knows IMO why you would possibly want to stop this most welcome survival of plants & multi-cellular life saving CO2 correction over a complete carbon cycle) then nuclear fusion & fission is the only way forward & if you look at the number of nuclear power station deaths they are a fraction of those of miners & without all these OTT safety systems electricity really would be too cheap to bother metering.

Any link to these conclusions, as they seem to run contra to Google's own white paper on renewables? (Link below). The white paper states that they are moving towards 24/7 use of renewable energy (without fossil backup) and calls out grid level energy storage as one of the solutions that will support this.
https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-environment.appspot.com/pdf/achieving-100-renewable-energy-purchasing-goal.pdf

Re. cobalt, my understanding is that demand will outstrip supply leading to a depletion of existing reserves in c16yrs, but this is only about 10% of the available cobalt, the rest just isn't economically viable to extract *yet*. However, as the demand/supply imbalance increases, I have every confidence that what's 'economically viable' will shift, as it always does.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 July 2019, 10:33:37 »

Most segments of the UK economy have been in recession since 2016.  This is clearly visible when you walk down the high street, nobody is spending.  And online is only taking a 5th of the deficit of pre 2016.

Sad fact of life, and entirely predictable.

The high street is a good indicator, as it aligns with disposable income available in households.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 July 2019, 11:54:29 »

Most segments of the UK economy have been in recession since 2016.  This is clearly visible when you walk down the high street, nobody is spending.  And online is only taking a 5th of the deficit of pre 2016.

Sad fact of life, and entirely predictable.

The high street is a good indicator, as it aligns with disposable income available in households.

No, sorry TB, that is not the full story.  Out of town shopping centres, high parking charges, and, the big one, online business, has been the crippling factor behind the high street decline, and indeed in retail units generally. ;)

In 2018 alone over 2,500 retail shops closed in the top 500 high streets in the country.  Anymore disposable income aavailable, which yes has been hit, would have no doubt gone into the high street competitors as described.  Shopping habits have changed, and thanks to your industry, it will change even more!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 11:58:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 July 2019, 12:14:26 »

That and the crippling business rates for high St. shops, which are needed to fund the index linked pensions of the local council dignitaries  and their buddys, who are well and truly hitched to the gravy train.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 July 2019, 12:28:43 »

That and the crippling business rates for high St. shops, which are needed to fund the index linked pensions of the local council dignitaries  and their buddys, who are well and truly hitched to the gravy train.

Very true, that as well which is not applying to the onliners!! >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2019, 12:29:43 »

We shall see the demise of the high street as we know it today in 10 years unless WE want it to be different!! ::) ::) ;)
« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 12:31:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 July 2019, 13:33:43 »

I would add that our town of Ashford, a massively growing kentish town with building everywhere. and I mean everywhere, and a International railway station, is a great example of what is happening to the high streets.

The out of town Sainsbury's has taken in store Argos, Timpson and Specsavers, with the former two closing stores in the town.  Marks & Spencer have closed their store, with a new M&S Food Hall opening alongside, albeit 500 yds away from, the Sainsbury's store.  Debenhams which is a purpose built, just 7 year old massive store, will close in 2020.  Aldi have opened a store alongside the new Curious Brewery and facilities away from the old high street.

That is just some of those that have closed, or are about to close. This is happening as the famous out of town, McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Centre expands by 50 units!

Two years back another out of town centre opened to accommodate B&M, Tapi Carpets, Hobbycraft, Costa Coffee, alongside the existing TK Max, Dunelm, Boots, Smyths and Argos, alongside a separate Wickes, which all now having the massive and new Junction 10A of the M20 built on their doorstep.

We have also B&Q, PC World, Pets At Home, Halfords, and Dreams in other, away from the high street, centres.

So, that is just how one town, with a population growing from 118,000 in 2011 to 141,000 in 2021, which in the 1980's had grown to 87,000, is going.  The lovely, nationally known pedestrian, friendly,  free space high street which has seen it's own developments with yet another cinema complex and more coffee shops along with restaurants, is metophising probably more than most, but showing the way forward.  High streets for leisure, banking and estate agents, along with coffee shops / restaurants, and little else. :(
« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 13:37:47 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 July 2019, 14:17:46 »

One big advantage of out of town shopping centres is parking. It isn't possible to park on a high street nowadays without incurring a hefty fine. You have to park in a car park, pay through the nose for the privilege and walk to the shops.
Everything is stacked against retailers on the High St.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 July 2019, 14:28:17 »

One big advantage of out of town shopping centres is parking. It isn't possible to park on a high street nowadays without incurring a hefty fine. You have to park in a car park, pay through the nose for the privilege and walk to the shops.
Everything is stacked against retailers on the High St.

That, as I say, is a major obstacle for the high streets to overcome now, but the greedy councils who subsidise other services with those charges, knowing motorists are easy money,  are not backing down.

In Ashford it is true and honest to say that at least the council owned multi-storey car park and one other has free parking after 1500 on weekdays and weekends, and are free on Bank Holidays.  So they have listened in part, but still the NCP car parks, that the council take a cut out of the charges, do charge all the time, handsomely!! >:( >:(

Even the away from the high street Asda and McArthur Outlet Centre HAVE to charge for parking because the council dictate they do to match the cost of parking 'in town'!  At least Asda pays you the parking fee back if you spend £5 with them! ::) ::)

« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 14:31:50 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.