Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to replace the future classic with?  (Read 5089 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
What to replace the future classic with?
« on: 26 August 2019, 22:21:05 »

I always thought if I had the money, I would buy a Jag XFR or an M/AMG car but now I'm ready to pull the trigger its a very hard decision.

I have gone off the idea of these types of cars now, now I want something newer ('16 + ) under 30k ideally, but still want a big petrol engine, fast (obviously), mid size - I have three young children so Omega size is unnecessary and unwanted. I was thinking along the lines of F30 3 Series or Jag XE-S but some of my friends think £25k is a lot of money and they think I should get a 6 Series GC or Range Rover.

I went to Wales on Saturday to look at a 340i, it was fully loaded but condition wasn't as I expected (or led to believe) for a 3 year old car - my 11y/o Omega was in better nick when I bought it and the dealer wouldn't let me test drive it unless I committed to but it  ::) so I walked away.

So thinking outside the box, other than the three Germans what else can I get for my money? What would you buy?

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: What to replace the future classic with?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2019, 07:25:02 »

Maybe smaller than you want and not a 'big' petrol engine, but have you thought of the Golf 'R'.
It even comes in estate guise if you need extra luggage space.
Defo ticks the 'fast' box, and relatively comfy for a gocart.
It will be high up my list when it comes to getting shot of the Mundaino!   ;D :D ;)
Good luck!   :y :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2019, 10:53:00 »

The Omega isn't that big...

F30 3 series is pretty good for cabin space, and eats miles well. Prices should be dropping off a bit for later ones as the G20 takes hold.

Manual X drive should tick most of the driver boxes, and the GT is useful if yo don't need a full estate :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2019, 11:56:02 »

It falls just outside your budget, but I might be tempted to haggle hard for this...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806157534223?atmobcid=soc3

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2019, 11:58:00 »

I think I agree with you about the size of Omegas. I can easily reverse it into my garage without folding the mirrors, something I couldn't do with the Vectra 9-3

I have noticed the 68 plate Shadow Editions F30 are rapidly coming down in price, but still out of my price range. Then its a matter of finding one with the spec I want. I'm hoping the price will come down more once the G20 M340i hits the streets. So far I have only seen 320i/330i about.

I think XEs might be a bit tight in the back, going by the reviews  and its not really feasible to take the family out to a dealership to try one. Ditto with the Golf, I think that may be even smaller

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2019, 11:59:12 »

It falls just outside your budget, but I might be tempted to haggle hard for this...

Which child do I leave at home?  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2019, 12:40:20 »

I always thought if I had the money, I would buy a Jag XFR or an M/AMG car but now I'm ready to pull the trigger its a very hard decision.

I have gone off the idea of these types of cars now, now I want something newer ('16 + ) under 30k ideally, but still want a big petrol engine, fast (obviously), mid size - I have three young children so Omega size is unnecessary and unwanted. I was thinking along the lines of F30 3 Series or Jag XE-S but some of my friends think £25k is a lot of money and they think I should get a 6 Series GC or Range Rover.

I went to Wales on Saturday to look at a 340i, it was fully loaded but condition wasn't as I expected (or led to believe) for a 3 year old car - my 11y/o Omega was in better nick when I bought it and the dealer wouldn't let me test drive it unless I committed to but it  ::) so I walked away.

So thinking outside the box, other than the three Germans what else can I get for my money? What would you buy?

Fast......mid size......and with a thoroughbred petrol engine rather than the engine from a diesel cement mixer. I'd go for an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. :y

500+ BHP  from a 2.9 V6 with plenty of torque. I think you'll struggle to find one within your budget though. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2019, 12:41:41 »

......a Range Rooney is essentially a posh van with windows.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2019, 12:46:55 »

Which child do I leave at home?  :-\

Apologies, I read your original brief as:

I no longer have three young children so Omega size is unnecessary and unwanted.

Given the average age of the users of this forum I assumed that the family had flown the nest.  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2019, 12:57:36 »

I would have thought that with three young children, Omega interior space is essential? And that's a problem, because although things like a 3 series, C-class, Insignia etc are almost as big(bigger for the Insignia) as an Omega, they are less spacious inside. That's probably because most private buyers of family cars prefer more useful MPVs like Zafiras etc.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2019, 13:23:13 »

I would have thought that with three young children, Omega interior space is essential? And that's a problem, because although things like a 3 series, C-class, Insignia etc are almost as big(bigger for the Insignia) as an Omega, they are less spacious inside. That's probably because most private buyers of family cars prefer more useful MPVs like Zafiras etc.
My astra estate is great for throwing stuff in the back, but the legroom for rear passengers is very tight and, as you say, Nick, it looks bigger than an omega out side.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2019, 13:34:03 »

The 3 series will seat 5 in reasonable comfort, OK not tried it for a long journey but at 6'2"/15 stone, I don't feel squashed in it, and having done Hampshire to Orkney and back in three days in it, it's a decent cruiser :y

Was 5 up in a Porsche Cayenne on Sunday, and whilst comfy enough, the rear seat isn't any bigger (wider) than the Golf, point being that size and space aren't always the same thing ;)

I was going to suggest a C32 estate as an interesting aside, but too old for your requirement  :-\

£10-15k would see you in a w211 E55/63...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2019, 17:45:38 »

Maybe smaller than you want and not a 'big' petrol engine, but have you thought of the Golf 'R'.
It even comes in estate guise if you need extra luggage space.
Defo ticks the 'fast' box, and relatively comfy for a gocart.
It will be high up my list when it comes to getting shot of the Mundaino!   ;D :D ;)
Good luck!   :y :y :y
I quite like them. But I can't tolerate them for any distance without needing a back transplant after.  So if you fancy one, take one on a long test drive to see if you can live with it.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2019, 18:50:24 »

I think XEs might be a bit tight in the back .........

My sister had one, I defy anyone over three feet tall to get in the back without smacking their head on that rediculous roof line as they get in or out.
Depreciation was horrific as well.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2019, 18:53:37 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2019, 19:13:05 »

Big Family Car!  :-\

Big Family Car Wiv Grunt! and for less cash!  :y

There's a V90 Cross Country T6 with 306bhp which looks interesting, but sadly out of budget.  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.