Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackpool - the grumpy old visit  (Read 5781 times)

RonaldMcBurger

Blackpool - the grumpy old visit
« on: 05 September 2006, 09:30:00 »

Went to Blackpool yesterday afternoon with a view to staying there a couple of nights with my 13 year old son.

Got there at 2.30. We were back home at 9pm!!!!

Now, if any of you guys live in Blackpool, I apologise in advance. But heck, what happened?

I have never been there before so was under the misconception that it was the life and soul of british holidayville. Having a 13 yo, we headed straight for the pleasure beach with all its magnificent rides. Nearly bought the £29 day ticket online, but decided to have a look first. Glad we did. Pepsi BIG ONE, er closed as were several of the other big rides. In fact, all that was open was the Avalanche and the Iron Bru thing and a few side stalls where you could get 3 goldfish with 3 darts or something, yeah yeah.

So, as the only exciting ride was Avalanche, my lad decided he wanted to go on. 3 tickets. Tickets cost £1 each, making £3. WRONG! 3 tickets @£1 each = £5 in this dump. Minimum spend! What exactly do I do with these two tickets now then? Nothing else open took 2 tickets. Not re-saleable (printed on the back). They will be sent with a suitable letter to the management.

Anyway, enough there. lets see the other parts of holiday heaven.

Blackpool tower! Yay..... er....boooooo. Closed. The piers? Well, open but talk about run down! Cheap tacky stalls selling nasty plastic crap. Slot machines, last seasons video games, and those f***ing machines that grab fluffy toys to get you excited then drop them again. Does anyone ever win????

McDonalds? That was good. But the one in Nottingham is also good. Trams? Not a chance mate. Has nobody realised that the cabin is too small for the stand-up-only drivers who all have a hunch? Donkeys? Er nope. We did consider the horse and carriage along the prom, but this horse gave me a look that said 'you think you back hurts now matey?'.

Never mind, I said. we'll book into the hotel and see what we can do tomorrow. Can we go home was the reply. Good, I thought. My sentiments exactly.

OK, so there were the shows. We did look. There was one with a load of 'STARS' I have never heard of. Another with a lot of rejects from last years X-Factor - alas not the funny entertaining mad ones, just the spoilt brat wannabees who thought they were 'it'. Then the highlight would have been Joe bloody Longthorne impersonating, wait for it....... Shirley Bassey! Well that's new Joe. Only 25 years doing the same act huh?

So, lets sum up this outing. Shabby, second rate, mostly closed and out of date cack.

Home 1, Blackpool Nil!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpool - the grumpy old visit
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2006, 09:35:57 »

Sorry gotta laugh   ;D, I'm sure its alright when its busy.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2006, 09:36:55 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2006, 09:36:05 »

My one and only trip to Blackpool was a similar experience, but I gave it the benefit of doubt as it was February...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2006, 09:41:43 »

Blackpool is good for trams and sports cars, for seaside you need to go to the south west, Devon or preferably Cornwall, however there are some nice places in Wales as well.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2006, 09:41:55 »

Ive not been to Blackpool for a very long time but I think its only stag and hen partys that go there now.
Retired

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2006, 09:44:13 »

I have been there and I hate the place, my wife used to go there as a child, until her mum said to go somewhere else.

Full of trannies now (not the van)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2006, 09:44:38 »

I've been to blackpool and rmcb i totally agree with you
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2006, 09:46:04 »

For tacky seaside towns, Yarmouth has that horrid, tacky, overdone, British seaside town...
Grumpy old man

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2006, 09:58:19 »

I can feel a POLL coming on....

Personally, I think the WORST seaside tourist type place in Britain has to be HUNSTANTON in norfolk. I would rather spend a month picking a fight with Mike Tyson than spend 5 minutes in that place ever again. We went there once. It was literally closed!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2006, 10:04:25 »

A couple of years ago I had to do some work in Blackpool for about four weeks so I stayed in a hotel during the week and commuted on Mondays and Fridays.

I thought it would be great! Don't get me wrong, I know it's a sh*thole, but at least I went kind'a knowing what to expect and at least I'd get a few rides at the pleasure beach, (and go on a couple of roller coasters too!! Baroom-boom!!).

Anyway, I got there and it was shut!  :o >:(

Absolutely f*ck all to do but sit in the bar of my sea front hotel and gaze out at the pi55ing rain!!!

Very disappointing to say the least!!

And don't get me started about Gt Yarmouth. I'd love to find out who decided to call it 'Great'! It's anything but!!!
If I have to explain you won't understand!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2006, 10:17:42 »

I specifically left the Great off Yarmouth ;)

I have fond memories of Hunstanton due to going there regularly as a kid.  Disappointed last time I went - nothing had changed since the 70s (and it seemed old and run down then!).

Weston-Shitty-Mere is another I don't like.

Just got back from Bournemouth (my nearest seaside) a fortnight ago. They are doing their best to ruin an already so-so place. Though I have a soft spot from Swanage, though no idea why...

Moving around to Cornwall, Newquay. What an awful place. Everything thats bad about Britsih seaside towns.

Went to Bognor for the first time ever a couple of years back for my birthday (July). It was shut. Couldn't even get fish and chips.

Gonna try Skeggy one day... ;)
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2006, 10:21:06 »

Went to Blackpool a few times in my early 20's & enjoyed it. Went again about 5 yrs ago & have to agree with what eveyone says....won't be going again.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2006, 10:21:34 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2006, 10:21:08 »

Skegnes when I last went didn't seem too bad the last time I went, job somewhere there granted didn't see much of the town it had alot of caravans though  ;D

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2006, 10:23:13 »

blackpool is only up the road from me and I don't like it either, it's full of grumpy tourists with nothing to do ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2006, 10:24:42 »

blackpool is only up the road from me and I don't like it either, it's full of grumpy tourists with nothing to do ;D ;D ;D
;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.