Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another newbie (Renault fan!)  (Read 3506 times)

Wessex_Electric_Nutter

• Chichester, UK
    • 4 of them!
    • View Profile
Another newbie (Renault fan!)
« on: 16 April 2016, 19:16:56 »

Hello everyone,

At the risk of being disliked because of my title, I thought I'll introduce myself. Now I am on the forums as I ended up with a Vauxhall Omega, I'll explain that in a bit. However, I'm more into Renaults on the reason that I like Renault Espaces (cue the laughter.) and I currently own 2 of them. Although those were my 4th and 5th car. One came from Autotrader which I spent about 4x more than I brought the car for, the other was brought on an internet auction site, I never looked at the car to begin with (work reasons), but I put in a bid and got the car, so far, its been less hassle than the other one! These 2 are mentioned on a different forum, that being here if you are interested. On top of that, I also own a Renault clit which ironcally was my first car and I still own it.

Now onto myself and the Omega. I live in the south coast and I am a train enthusiast (hence nickname), I work for a train operating company mostly these days cleaning out trains (known as a turnaround cleaner) although I do a number of other tasks. Despite being a Renault fan, I have owned a few other vehicles, those being 2 corsas (a B and a C), a Ford Focus and an Audi A6. 3 I didn't really drive, despite owning them because they were for my family, 2 for my sister under hire, one for my dad again under hire.
I became an Omega owner around October 2014, for a grand total of £0 because it was my dads, he had the car since 2000 and under his possession, I've driven it and did quite like it - I just never imagined owning it. It became mine after I brought an Audi A6 (on finance) for him, to which in exchange, I got the Omega and he paid me off in April 2015 and it sat on the drive since and this year, I set myself a target of returning it to the road.

(click thmbnail to view a larger image)

The Omega is an S Reg Elite spec saloon from the factory, outshopped with the BOSE sound system, leather seats (electrically heated and adjustable) and as many toys you could get for it at the time, except 2. Self leveling suspension from the factory, cruise control from the factory, automatic gearbox (that I hate) from the factory, mated with a 2.5L V6, even has the original  Elite 5 spoke alloys. And no, it didn't go into the police force, it was strictly a civilian only vehicle, which I guess makes it really unusual. The only bits missing? Car phone and Sat Nav, the latter I found in 2014. A civilian that lived in Bognor Regis anyway. It seems like he owned it for a year before trading it in at what was then Swan Renault, to which my dad picked it up and liked it a lot. £8k later, it was his for the next 14 years. It saw me from my school days to the railways and then passed to me later as I mentioned above.

(click for a larger image)

It hasn't come without faults, its knackered! Totally, the engine runs with misfires, the leather seats were best described fit for the skip (thanks to dog ownership), millions of scratches and dents, the last one my sister did on the gate post outside the house which has claimed many scratches on the cars. My clit, my sisters Corsa which had a nasty whack, my espace, limited to the door only, etc, the boot lid had to be replaced, the passenger side rear door had to be replaced and there is rust everywhere due to the salt air where the dogs get walked. To top it off, my dad had a minor RTA in it and damaged the front offside front, not forgetting the arguments he got into which lead to the scratches and dents.

So, you may wonder "if its this bad, what do you intend to do with it?", fix it and enjoy it. Refurb and preserve or at least restore it, with a couple of additions.  The speakers and head unit might have to go in the future if the BOSE sound system starts degrading and the sat nav will need installing as I already have it, but thats about it.
On here, I intend to talk about my restoration from a wreck (nothing unusual!) to something with a little more glory, hopefully it will be a learning process for me as well as everyone else. And no, I'll try and keep the 3 Renaults out of it, unless someone specifically asks. Also, suggestions what I could do with a car given to me other than do something wacky or split it for spares would be nice.

EDIT: links don't seem to be working for some reason, or photobucket doesn't know they exist yet.
Vehicles:
1997 Renault clit (D7F)|2001 Renault Espace (G9T)|2001 Renault Espace (L7X)|1998 Vauxhall Omega (X25XE)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Another newbie (Renault fan!)
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2016, 19:29:17 »

Hello and welcome to OOF.Wealth of knowledge and experience on here to help you getting it sorted.Have a look in maintenance guides for many answers,but don't be afraid to ask if/when stuck.I'm fairly sure forgiveness will be forthcoming with regards Renault ownership ;D ;D

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2016, 00:03:50 »

Hello and welcome to the forum  :y. I have obtained plenty of advice and help from the forum. Many great helpers on here !  :y

Delroy47

• Intermediate Member
  • Luton
    • 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2016, 00:11:27 »

Welcome to the forum  :y

Wessex_Electric_Nutter

• Chichester, UK
    • 4 of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2016, 18:17:04 »

Thank you all for the welcomes, the only question I have, where would be the best place to keep a diary thread? As I would like to post my progress of "restoration" as I go through.
Vehicles:
1997 Renault clit (D7F)|2001 Renault Espace (G9T)|2001 Renault Espace (L7X)|1998 Vauxhall Omega (X25XE)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2016, 18:17:42 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the history on your Omega - sounds like it's a long job ahead depending on what you do. Looking forward to future updates.  :y
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2016, 19:27:03 »

For your diary thread,if doing it with accompanying pictures I'd suggest popping it in the gallery section.Others may offer alternatives.Most on here seem to use either dropbox or photobucket to post their pictures.A guide to these being in this section.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2016, 21:54:11 »

Hi and welcome  :y

baggedestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Gillingham kent
    • 3.2 estate ex police
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2016, 08:56:12 »

Hello and welcome

Freebird

• West Cumbria
    • Omega 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2016, 20:55:56 »

Welcome to OOF. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.