Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT rules in May  (Read 1783 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
New MOT rules in May
« on: 22 February 2018, 15:59:50 »

Seems to be Europe wide. One by product will be to get old polluting vehicles off the road. Another will be to boost the car manufacturers sales and get more eco friendl vehicles on the road. There will be less in the way of secondhand cars so a sellers market(?).

Is this general perception what is likely to happen in Britain or have all the old cars mostly gone?

I had a guy pull up next to me at the Spanish MOT station on Monday, in his post war Santana 4x4 ( Land Rover made in Spain under licence) It must have been 60 years old and judging by the age of the driver he had it new. Like other older diesels he then sat there revving the cods off it readying it for the fearsome exhaust test. Seemed so incongrous as I bet normally it never exceeds 1000rpm.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT rules in May
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2018, 18:29:55 »

pretty sure the new rues only apply to newer vehicles,certainly wont be getting rid of my 97 lol yo good to get rid of in spitr of nearly quarter million miles on the clock!
As t6ot he spanish itv, our old mitsubishi pajero 2.5td(was 2.3td) ;D merely 32 years old never failed an itv on emissions in the 7 years we oend it, and the spanish farmer that bought it after constantly brating me to sell it to him, has passed easily on the emissions,just a matter of proper set up of the pump, all of them that old are purely mechanical pumps with lda,s on the top of the pump with 3 ways to adjust the fuel set up, confess i may have "tuned it for emissions" the day before the itv, then parked outside testing station cafe turned it back up, for full power mode the mountain climbs!

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2018, 18:36:43 »

My MOT is due in April, better get it booked in quick. I reckon there'll be a fair few who book in a few months early so they can wait and see what happens when the shit hits the fan when the new MOT comes around.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2018, 18:39:08 »

pretty sure the new rues only apply to newer vehicles,certainly wont be getting rid of my 97 lol yo good to get rid of in spitr of nearly quarter million miles on the clock!
As t6ot he spanish itv, our old mitsubishi pajero 2.5td(was 2.3td) ;D merely 32 years old never failed an itv on emissions in the 7 years we oend it, and the spanish farmer that bought it after constantly brating me to sell it to him, has passed easily on the emissions,just a matter of proper set up of the pump, all of them that old are purely mechanical pumps with lda,s on the top of the pump with 3 ways to adjust the fuel set up, confess i may have "tuned it for emissions" the day before the itv, then parked outside testing station cafe turned it back up, for full power mode the mountain climbs!

:y Glad to see you are still enjoying the regime :y Nice to see they take a photo of your car now.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2018, 20:55:09 »

The other aspect of the new MOT regulations is that cars over 40 years old and are exempt from excise duty in the 'Historic Vehicle' tax class, will be exempt from MOT testing. Owners can still have their cars tested for peace of mind, but is that ever likely to be done?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2018, 21:06:50 »

The other aspect of the new MOT regulations is that cars over 40 years old and are exempt from excise duty in the 'Historic Vehicle' tax class, will be exempt from MOT testing. Owners can still have their cars tested for peace of mind, but is that ever likely to be done?

I know a couple of guys with vintage cars, and one with a vintage fire engine... lucky bugger .. chatting to them, the clubs they belong to will not allow the vehicles to be shown without a valid MOT, and all have stated that this will not change when the rules change. These guys are real enthusiasts, and their attitude, across the board, is that they might make a mistake doing work, and the MOT is their "quality control" .. they all, also, are on good terms with the garages who do the MOTs and I've overheard the conversations where they actually say what work they've done and ASK for it to be thoroughly checked !!

I know not everyone will do the same, but I suspect a great number will ...

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2018, 23:08:14 »

I know a couple of guys with vintage cars, and one with a vintage fire engine... lucky bugger .. chatting to them, the clubs they belong to will not allow the vehicles to be shown without a valid MOT, and all have stated that this will not change when the rules change. These guys are real enthusiasts, and their attitude, across the board, is that they might make a mistake doing work, and the MOT is their "quality control" .. they all, also, are on good terms with the garages who do the MOTs and I've overheard the conversations where they actually say what work they've done and ASK for it to be thoroughly checked !!

I know not everyone will do the same, but I suspect a great number will ...

I agree, these sart of guys won't be the issue, it will be the guys running the late 70's tat that CBA to fix their rust buckets that will Cause .

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2018, 20:38:27 »

Is there a website to check how this offers us?  I’m not getting rid of my CD, especially after spending a small county’s defect in rebuilding her over the past two years.
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2018, 22:24:19 »

the new mot rules shouldnt affect anyone who drives a correctly maintained car. the mot is intended to get dangerous and non complying cars off the road (at mot test time) and the law about owners resposibility to keep them in an mot worthy condition when being used should work for the other 364 days of the year. its also supposed to stop the cars with misleading /spaced registration plates too but what the mot doesnt get ,the police can.
regarding the 40 year exeption people like me who drive ‘late 70’s tat !’ will continue to keep the cars in tip top condition. i actually think mine will need mot test anyway cos i read somewhere about power to weight ratio increases of up to 12% ? but not sure if it only applies to bikes ? . dvla arnt showing too much info as yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.