Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New car for wifey  (Read 7409 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: New car for wifey
« Reply #45 on: 06 March 2018, 20:53:14 »

Just out of interest. Why an Astra as opposed to another Renault or a Focus say?  :-\

What a stupid question! ;)

STEMO

« Reply #46 on: 06 March 2018, 20:54:33 »

Picked it up earlier....and I caught her out ;D She followed me from north Leeds through the city and on to the M621, then down the M1 until we turned off. I snuck into a dark bit by the side of the road and waited till she passed me, then pulled out a couple of cars behind. She, of course thought I'd gone on ahead. Well......she certainly gave it the beans. Even though hers is a 1.6 diesel and mine is 2.0, I had to floor it to keep up with her on a dual carriageway.
Should have seen her face when I pulled up behind her at home.

;D ;D ;D

She likes it.   :y :y :y

Just out of interest. Why an Astra as opposed to another Renault or a Focus say?  :-\
Cause it looks better and it's red (her) and it's an auto box...not edc or powershift. (me)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 March 2018, 21:09:17 »

Picked it up earlier....and I caught her out ;D She followed me from north Leeds through the city and on to the M621, then down the M1 until we turned off. I snuck into a dark bit by the side of the road and waited till she passed me, then pulled out a couple of cars behind. She, of course thought I'd gone on ahead. Well......she certainly gave it the beans. Even though hers is a 1.6 diesel and mine is 2.0, I had to floor it to keep up with her on a dual carriageway.

;D ;D ;D

Cause it looks better and it's red (her) and it's an auto box...not edc or powershift. (me)

.. and not French..

Oh, wait! Yes it is. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #48 on: 06 March 2018, 21:10:48 »

;D ;D ;D

.. and not French..

Oh, wait! Yes it is. ::)
Not yet.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 March 2018, 21:28:40 »

It’s good Vauxhall have a traditional auto, unlike the Omega I’m sure the torque converter disconnects when stationary.

The Omega always wants to pull in D and have to have brake firmly planted, soon release it’s off. Zaf on other hand, foot off and it’s a second or so before it engages and pulls.

Flipping shifter to one to side and tap down a few, picks up well on joining a motorway.

STEMO

« Reply #50 on: 06 March 2018, 22:01:11 »

It’s good Vauxhall have a traditional auto, unlike the Omega I’m sure the torque converter disconnects when stationary.

The Omega always wants to pull in D and have to have brake firmly planted, soon release it’s off. Zaf on other hand, foot off and it’s a second or so before it engages and pulls.

Flipping shifter to one to side and tap down a few, picks up well on joining a motorway.
Kickdown works fine for me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 March 2018, 11:58:52 »

Should I be in the market for a mid-sized saloon I would also choose an Astra in preference to a Focus or Renault.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 March 2018, 12:19:10 »

Should I be in the market for a mid-sized saloon I would also choose an Astra in preference to a Focus or Renault.

For me it would be 50/50 between the equivalent Astra or Focus.  For a newish car that I didn't intend to keep for more than a couple of years as Uncle and Auntie STEMO do, I wouldn't rule out the likes of Renault, Citroen, Fiat, Kia etc, as for a runabout it would depend on the best deal.  ;)

I understand that this attitude is complete heresy for some on here though!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07 March 2018, 12:22:32 »

Zaf on other hand, foot off and it’s a second or so before it engages and pulls.

SWMBO's Astra G was like that ...... I was never keen

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 March 2018, 12:23:13 »

For me it would be 50/50 between the equivalent Astra or Focus.  For a newish car that I didn't intend to keep for more than a couple of years as Uncle and Auntie STEMO do, I wouldn't rule out the likes of Renault, Citroen, Fiat, Kia etc, as for a runabout it would depend on the best deal.  ;)

I understand that this attitude is complete heresy for some on here though!  ::)  ;D

Bearing in mind his advanced age and problem with 'leaks' shouldn't that read Great uncle STMO.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 March 2018, 12:23:56 »

Zaf on other hand, foot off and it’s a second or so before it engages and pulls.

SWMBO's Astra G was like that ...... I was never keen

My Signum was the same,could catch you out sometimes :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 07 March 2018, 13:24:28 »

I think you'll find that's the hill start assist, press the footbrake long and hard enough and it engages. In normal driving my astra auto is pulling at the leash, the same as every other auto I've driven.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #57 on: 07 March 2018, 13:57:14 »

I personally think that the Astra is one of the best looking modern cars around, hope it serves Mrs Stemo well & helps with the leg problem.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 March 2018, 14:20:49 »

I personally think that the Astra is one of the best looking modern cars around, hope it serves Mrs Stemo well & helps with the leg problem.

I agree. It makes me wonder how the Insignia turned out to be such a munter.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 March 2018, 14:53:41 »

I agree. It makes me wonder how the Insignia turned out to be such a munter.

Yes.The Insignia has certainly been well beaten with the ugly stick. On the plus side they are cheap to buy and in estate form with the 2.8 V6 could possibly replace even the all conquering Signum. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.