Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Continental motoring breakdown cover  (Read 3837 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Continental motoring breakdown cover
« on: 23 March 2017, 10:01:43 »

Due to the car now being over 15 years old, my "usual" holiday insurers (ERV) will no longer give me cover. Does anyone have any opinions /advice on good companies for holiday breakdown insurance, 20 days with a caravan ?? 

Green Flag / Red Pennant also appear to be uninterested due to the age of the car .. :(

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Continental motoring breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2017, 10:44:51 »

Try Aviva and Axa insurance. I seem to recall that one of them gave me Euro breakdown insurance a while back, but can't remember which one.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2017, 11:03:26 »

ADAC  :y

Single payment for a year, was cheaper than any quote I got for 2 weeks of Euro driving cover.

https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2017, 11:26:43 »

Have you tried the Caravan Club?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2017, 12:29:35 »

Do Caravans break down  :-\ ;D ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2017, 12:42:45 »

Do Caravans break down  :-\ ;D ;)

Sometimes they do quite spectacularly, if neglected. No need for recovery, though. A broom and a skip is all you need. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2017, 12:48:36 »

Caravan Club is Red Pennant .... 'kin expensive for a car over 10 years old....

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2017, 13:26:46 »

It's a bit odd though, as often driving "over there" I see some really ancient UK registered relics driving around. Do they just wing it and hope for the best ?  I have done that myself, but it makes me nervous, however I have never actually used any breakdown cover while abroad.

I did come back once and took my Volvo 960 to the garage with "a bit of a noise" and the mechanic later showed me an almost bare timing belt and he didn't understand how the engine survived Oooooops
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2017, 14:24:26 »

AXA have no age limits so just need to track down a policy.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2017, 18:12:55 »

Single payment for a year, was cheaper than any quote I got for 2 weeks of Euro driving cover.

If you read (what your can make out in) the small print, repatriation may be an issue.

The small print seems to imply its down to what local agent they use in a given country (apparently AA in UK). I called them up about UK recovery in the event of a breakdown in the UK, and after holding for ages for a English speaking agent, and they confirmed they could not guarantee towing me anywhere, and even if I was towed would be down to the local recovery company. Even then, there appeared to be restrictions or charges involved.

Certainly, it was enough of a concern that I wouldn't be using them for my UK cover, and looked even more worrying for euro breakdown.  Shame, as having something covering UK and EU would be handy, as now I have to get UK breakdown, then a separate EU breakdown.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2017, 19:17:25 »

If you read (what your can make out in) the small print, repatriation may be an issue.

The small print seems to imply its down to what local agent they use in a given country (apparently AA in UK). I called them up about UK recovery in the event of a breakdown in the UK, and after holding for ages for a English speaking agent, and they confirmed they could not guarantee towing me anywhere, and even if I was towed would be down to the local recovery company. Even then, there appeared to be restrictions or charges involved.

Certainly, it was enough of a concern that I wouldn't be using them for my UK cover, and looked even more worrying for euro breakdown.  Shame, as having something covering UK and EU would be handy, as now I have to get UK breakdown, then a separate EU breakdown.

Agree with that interpretation of the small print, also, no mention of trailers or caravans anywhere .. :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2017, 19:30:10 »

Anyone had any dealings with "rescuemycar"  they want £89 and cover cars and trailers ..... but I'm still wading through the "small print" ...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2017, 19:56:02 »

Anyone had any dealings with "rescuemycar"  they want £89 and cover cars and trailers ..... but I'm still wading through the "small print" ...

I was with them for 6 years and called them out 4 times in that period.  They had someone with me inside an hour every time and took me and the car home 3 times without any quibble. Once was a long trip from the Rhondda to Dorset as well!  :y

So I've found them to be very good, but don't know what their Euro service is like.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2017, 00:10:52 »

I did a number of jobs for them. If you would like to know what the customers(and our) experience of them was like then find some bottles in a bin, smash them, and shove all of the bits up your arse with a telephone.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2017, 07:18:47 »

Not waded through small print but:

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/car/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2017, 08:55:49 »

I have cover abroad through my account with Nationwide, and I asked them about the age issue, and was told I was covered. Haven't tested it though. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2017, 12:36:49 »

Thanks for that .. looks very promising .. up to 20 years old and includes the van

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2017, 12:48:53 »

Thanks for that .. looks very promising .. up to 20 years old and includes the van

Was my thoughts. AXA have no age limit if you are insured with them too but standalone breakdown cover seems limited to 16 years.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2017, 21:01:18 »

Use for euro cover, but never had to actually use them
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2017, 16:46:26 »

mmmm

ETA want £166.32 !! this gives 12 months UK cover and up to 90 days europe ... you can't have one without the other ... :(  but they don't cover the tin tent itself ..

Caravan Club (Red Pennant) want £196.68 for 18 days europe cover and cover everything

Rescuemycar want £88.49 for 24 days europe cover, but some of the "small print" is a tad disconcerting.. " if in the Recovery Operator’s opinion, repair is not possible, we will arrange and pay the costs of transportation of 7 passengers, including the Driver, to be recovered to a single destination within 10 miles of the Incident." ... I don't see 10 miles being much good when I'm hundreds of miles from home, or out for the day away from the tin tent ....  as "If the Vehicle cannot be repaired within 48 hours or any other time that We can agree, We will arrange for Your Vehicle and up to 7 passengers, including the Driver to be transported either to Your Home or original destination." combined with .. "What is not covered .. Overnight accommodation or car hire charges if repairs can be carried out at or near the scene of the Incident within an agreed time. implies I have to pay hotel bills etc for the 48 hours they spend trying to mend it 10 miles from "the incident" ..  :(

:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2017, 19:59:39 »

mmmm

ETA want £166.32 !! this gives 12 months UK cover and up to 90 days europe ... you can't have one without the other ... :(  but they don't cover the tin tent itself ..

Caravan Club (Red Pennant) want £196.68 for 18 days europe cover and cover everything

Rescuemycar want £88.49 for 24 days europe cover, but some of the "small print" is a tad disconcerting.. " if in the Recovery Operator’s opinion, repair is not possible, we will arrange and pay the costs of transportation of 7 passengers, including the Driver, to be recovered to a single destination within 10 miles of the Incident." ... I don't see 10 miles being much good when I'm hundreds of miles from home, or out for the day away from the tin tent ....  as "If the Vehicle cannot be repaired within 48 hours or any other time that We can agree, We will arrange for Your Vehicle and up to 7 passengers, including the Driver to be transported either to Your Home or original destination." combined with .. "What is not covered .. Overnight accommodation or car hire charges if repairs can be carried out at or near the scene of the Incident within an agreed time. implies I have to pay hotel bills etc for the 48 hours they spend trying to mend it 10 miles from "the incident" ..  :(

Try Nationwide Nige, very helpful if you have an account. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2017, 21:11:46 »

Given age of the car and miles, it's going to be super expensive. I looked into it for my Austria trip in the 2.2. But I just chanced it in the end, had no issues.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2017, 21:22:23 »

Given age of the car and miles, it's going to be super expensive. I looked into it for my Austria trip in the 2.2. But I just chanced it in the end, had no issues.

A different story with a burger van on the back, though. Same issue I have if towing a glider. You need to know it's going to get home even if the car doesn't.

In fact, all glider trailers are over the 7m length limit that most breakdown cover allows, so.. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2017, 22:08:17 »

mmmm

Try Nationwide Nige, very helpful if you have an account. :y

Looks interesting Chris ...might be worth opening an account just to use this !!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.