Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3261 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2017, 16:49:17 »

Ah yes, Zigbee, that totally secure protocol  :)

It's an IoT device so the security can be found filed under "TODO" in the project plan. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2017, 16:57:34 »

Right. So I'm not having one then. I'll be on the news, refusing to be digitised while EDF try to starve me out.

powerslinky

« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2017, 17:26:54 »

Talking "water"  here  . . . got some smart meters on my patch  . . . makes it really easy to find leaks on the individual supply. . . as, basicly, the smart meter tells our company that if the useage of a particular household never goes to zero  . . .there must be a leak of some kind  .           Simples !     

I then go round there & find it  ;) ;)      I've had a few leaks up around the 1000  litres per hour mark  on domestic properties :o :o
« Last Edit: 24 March 2017, 17:33:14 by Essex Big Al »

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2017, 17:34:46 »

Talking "water"  here  . . . got some smart meters on my patch  . . . makes it really easy to find leaks on the individual supply. . . as, basicly, the smart meter tells our company that if the useage of a particular household never goes to zero  . . .there must be a leak of some kind of leak .           Simples !     

I then go round there & find it  ;) ;)      I've had a few leaks up around the 1000  litres per hour mark  on domestic properties :o :o
That's all well and good, Al, but I live in a four bed, two bath house and pay about £350 a year with no meter. Before we moved we lived in a three bed, one bath house with a meter and I was paying £60 a month, both with Yorkshire water. I'll chance the leak.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2017, 17:43:07 »

Talking "water"  here  . . . got some smart meters on my patch  . . . makes it really easy to find leaks on the individual supply. . . as, basicly, the smart meter tells our company that if the useage of a particular household never goes to zero  . . .there must be a leak of some kind of leak .           Simples !     

That's all well and good, Al, but I live in a four bed, two bath house and pay about £350 a year with no meter. Before we moved we lived in a three bed, one bath house with a meter and I was paying £60 a month, both with Yorkshire water. I'll chance the leak.

Perhaps you had a leak  ::)

powerslinky

« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2017, 17:45:33 »

Just saying Steve,  from my point of view , for my job of  finding leaks, smart meters are really helpful    ;)

Another point  . . .the public don't seem  to bother about water leaks  . . .  pretty harmless really a water leak in comparison to a gas leak  ::) ::)

As for  your £60 per month  bill  . .  .maybe you had a leak  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Edit . . .must type faster  :-[ :-[

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2017, 17:54:26 »

No leak. Yorkshire water are really good, great customer service too. I queried the charges after my first bill. They sent someone round and told me to turn everything off while they looked at the meter and he got his listening stick thingy out. No internal leaks, just fickin expensive water.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2017, 17:55:54 »

One thing I could never figure out was the fact that they charged more for draining it away than they did for supplying it.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2017, 17:58:10 »

Good on you, but ...... I thought that if you moved to a new property then you had to have a metered supply - even though the previous resident may not have had it.

What was your address again?  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2017, 18:06:28 »

Good on you, but ...... I thought that if you moved to a new property then you had to have a metered supply - even though the previous resident may not have had it.

What was your address again?  ;D
Never heard of that, not here anyway. Even if I chose to have a meter in, if I didn't like it, I could have it ignored, but not removed. The next occupiers would then have no option but to use it.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2017, 18:20:06 »

Well, I tried to do my bit, enquired about a smart meter......I refer you to an earlier thread, where I related the story. It was unbelievable!!!!!.
I therefore decided, there and then, there would be no smart meter in this house for as long as it was humanly possible to keep it at bay.
Since then, stories of hacking, extortionate bills, etc, have increased my determination to resist these pieces of technology !!!! ;)
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

powerslinky

« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2017, 18:39:11 »

Well, I tried to do my bit, enquired about a smart meter......I refer you to an earlier thread, where I related the story. It was unbelievable!!!!!.
I therefore decided, there and then, there would be no smart meter in this house for as long as it was humanly possible to keep it at bay.
Since then, stories of hacking, extortionate bills, etc, have increased my determination to resist these pieces of technology !!!! ;)

Won't do it on here Terbs, but when I see you again , I will fill you in with some details .
It's not all doom & gloom  . .surprisingly  ;D ;D

I don't want one myself at the moment actually  . . .but thats because I DO have a leak on my supply  . . . .just gotta get round to sorting it  :P :P

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 March 2017, 18:53:39 »

No chance of me having a smart meter as Eon never turned up to fit one on the several occasions that they arranged to fit one.  ::)   On the plus side they credit me with £15 every time they let me down.  :)
I enquired about a smart gas meter when I recently extended as the meter needed moving but British Gas said they could not install one as they are not my electric supplier, and they need the electric to read the meter.   ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 March 2017, 19:29:03 »

!!! 4/5 bed house, 3 baths, 2 people, metered, £228PA. :y

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 24 March 2017, 19:42:26 »

!!! 4/5 bed house, 3 baths, 2 people, metered, £228PA. :y
Smelly git  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.