Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Reach v BT  (Read 5734 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Open Reach v BT
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2017, 20:19:02 »

Really? I thought it was a genetic condition...  :o

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 29 March 2017, 20:32:20 »

If we play our cards right, it could be a foreign country soon.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 March 2017, 21:42:10 »

Thanks for all your comments on this but you can imagine all the customers being fobbed off with reasons for low speed. They may of course come back and say it is now as fast as it can be at 5meg that, if you attached a morse key to it and started tapping away you'd have communication, so it's fine.!!

FTFY :y
I'm far to rusty now to even pick up slow morse, but when I used to sit in a van all day with a collegue who was learning it via cassettes that were in the vans, I got reasonably good at it, at the speeds needed to pass the exam for the amateur radio licence.  Wish I'd done the exam now, not that I'd realistically use it, but with morse being the hardest bit IMHO....

Even now, occasionally I'll hear something rattling somewhere, and subconsciously decode letters, even though the whole thing is gibberish. Sad bastid, I know  :-[

You don't even need morse these days.

But it's a curse once you've learnt any. You hear it in music, background noise, everywhere. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2017, 22:03:47 »

Talking of your morse addiction, has anyone heard of the 'BID tic' ?

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2017, 09:38:03 »

jimmy944 - that's exactly the way it should be. And in fact the way it is.  My Internet doesn't work, I shout at Zen Internet, not their supplier (Openreach).  Zen then do some (decent) sanity checks and diagnostics, and if believed to be a line fault, send it to Openreach (or BT Wholesale is it needs exchange work).

I, too, have a chubby for Zen. Used them for many years (despite paying much more than I would to their cut-price competition, let alone to useless idiots like Talk Talk) and was incredibly happy; their technical support was actually that - technical - which is an immediate differentiator to their competition!

In the end I moved from Zen to O2 due to cost (while unself-employed) and a week or two later (coincidentally, I'm guessing, unless exchange work happened) the line speed dropped from a rock steady 2.5Mbit (60dB attenuation line, despite being ~3Km from the exchange, poxy Slough) to a wavering 1.5-2Mbit that dropped, regular as clockwork, every 5pm and would resync at ~300Kbit until the SNR came back up magically 30 minutes later.

I gave up on O2 ever figuring out what was wrong there and put up with "Normal for your line, Sir, you're a very long way from the exchange" and just wrote a script to monitor the SNR & sync rate of the router and if the sync was low and SNR had climbed back up to >18dB to kick the router again.

.. bet that would never have happened with Zen.

(Now I use Virgin .. because 200Mbit, and I'm too cheap to pay for FTTH!)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 March 2017, 09:49:11 »

I know three fifths of fack all about this kind of thing, but what Aaron has just described, describes perfectly what has happened to my interweb since I signed up with SKY almost a year ago. Their interweb and 999 channels of shite TV will be getting binned as soon as the 12 month contract expires.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 March 2017, 10:17:10 »

I had a little progress yesterday too...
external FTTP team turned up and found and fixed an issue, we now have green lights for power, optical and lan...
No internet light yet, and smarthub now orange..
Apparently we now need the internal team, but what the hell they need to do i cannot say? possibly just confirm its now ready to be activated?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 March 2017, 10:20:56 »

jimmy944 - that's exactly the way it should be. And in fact the way it is.  My Internet doesn't work, I shout at Zen Internet, not their supplier (Openreach).  Zen then do some (decent) sanity checks and diagnostics, and if believed to be a line fault, send it to Openreach (or BT Wholesale is it needs exchange work).

I, too, have a chubby for Zen. Used them for many years (despite paying much more than I would to their cut-price competition, let alone to useless idiots like Talk Talk) and was incredibly happy; their technical support was actually that - technical - which is an immediate differentiator to their competition!

Yep, I'm a Zen fan too. I think I've had a problem once, and that was about 2 weeks after moving house. Straight on the phone to Zen and explained the problem. Guy knew his stuff, so no "have you tried rebooting?" BS to wade through. They kicked Openleach's @rse and got it fixed. Turns out they'd processed the cease for the previous service after mine had been connected for a week. ::)

I keep wondering about moving somewhere cheaper, but I just know it would end badly.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 March 2017, 10:51:35 »

Update - OR Engineer "I am outside your building" . Why?. "To do a Lift and Shift". You are supposed to do that at the Exchange. " It does not say that on my notes, OK will go to the Exchange do the Lift and Shift and ring you later"

This story has legs ....
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 March 2017, 11:30:27 »

oooo  My case handler just rang....shes brought the internal team forward to tomorrow :)

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 30 March 2017, 12:34:53 »

oooo  My case handler just rang....shes brought the internal team forward to tomorrow :)
Your case handler? Sounds like someone from social services or the probation service. ;D

It's not, is it, Jimbob?  :-\

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 March 2017, 12:37:44 »

Your case handler? Sounds like someone from social services or the probation service. ;D

It's not, is it, Jimbob?  :-\

;D ;D ;D
no....
Its what you get when BT have been incompetant for the best part of 2 months

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 March 2017, 12:46:35 »

Only two months :o I thought it was a foundation stone of their mandate... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 30 March 2017, 12:47:44 »

Two months could be enough to ruin the business of anyone working from home.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 March 2017, 12:58:58 »

We seem to be running very well now but speed per BT test hasn't changed (they said it might take time). Performance is far better than it has been for some time whilst seemingly at same line speed  pre problems.

Ah well - see how long it lasts.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.