Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 6931 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
WHY?
« on: 26 March 2017, 10:36:47 »

Why, oh why do we indulge in this bi-annual madness of changing our clocks? It's a phenominal waste of time, money and effort on the part of those who do not have self-setting radio code controlled clocks, and for no useful purpose. We have been doing this for just over 100 years now; if it's a good thing (supposedly) how the hell did we m,anage all those millennia before we adopted this procedure? The day is still 24 hours long, however you carve it.

Ron.

STEMO

Re: WHY?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 10:56:17 »

Madness? I think I may have just experienced that. My lad has one of these Pure iPad docks/radio things. I shouted up and asked him if he'd managed to work out how to change the time. He said no, so dad to the rescue. I went up and it said 9:40, so I got the little remote, went through the settings and changed it to 10:40....done. Put it back to standby.....9:40. Hmmmm....went through it all again..9:40 to 10:40... standby. 9:40.
Right....powered off and leave it a while. Set to 10:43 by now, standby, 9:43. F*** it.
Then it dawned on us. It was 9:43, not 10:43 and it was receiving an rds signal and setting itself.
Dooooooooh!  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 11:04:21 »

Its for the Northern England and Scotland folk, so there kids can walk to school in the mornings in daylight.

Don't have this problem down South as they all go to school in 4x4's.  ::)

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 11:21:08 »

You have to think of the poor child living in the Utter Hebridies that would have to walk from the croft to school ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 11:48:31 »

So, for those few lost souls in Outer Wherever, we all have to suffer great inconvenience? 'dangle berries' to them!

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 11:59:00 »

I think it's great that when the weather is supposed to get warmer and nicer, we suddenly get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings to enjoy it!  :y

Or maybe not......  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 11:59:28 »

Now now Bigron, that's a bit cruel, they may be eaten by a feral haggis or even Nessie ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2017, 12:17:36 »

::) Nightmare ! must have taken me all of 5 minutes to change the clocks/watch/microwave  , just have to gear myself up to do it all again in the autumn !

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 12:27:36 »

Madness? I think I may have just experienced that. My lad has one of these Pure iPad docks/radio things. I shouted up and asked him if he'd managed to work out how to change the time. He said no, so dad to the rescue. I went up and it said 9:40, so I got the little remote, went through the settings and changed it to 10:40....done. Put it back to standby.....9:40. Hmmmm....went through it all again..9:40 to 10:40... standby. 9:40.
Right....powered off and leave it a while. Set to 10:43 by now, standby, 9:43. F*** it.
Then it dawned on us. It was 9:43, not 10:43 and it was receiving an rds signal and setting itself.
Dooooooooh!  ;D

9:43  ?

Now let me think . . . . Ah yes. I was still in bed . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz     :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2017, 12:46:22 »

Wasn't it originally done for the farmers during some war or other?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2017, 12:48:21 »

::) Nightmare ! must have taken me all of 5 minutes to change the clocks/watch/microwave  , just have to gear myself up to do it all again in the autumn !

Ermmm....It took me all of 0 secs to change mine....Clock in kitchen/Living room/Alarm clock/Weather station and even CH controller changed times themselves  :y :)

I expect the Humax box has changed itself too.....I shall see when I turn the tv on.... :-\

The mondeo will probably change itself too if I retune to a national radio station....don't think the local radio station I listen to transmits time signals  :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2017, 12:54:42 »

No, Benjamin Franklin had this brainstorm over 100 years ago, and we were daft enough to copy some time later.
Farmers have farmed perfectly adequately for millennia before this pointless interference held sway.
Apparently, the royal household has thousands of clocks to adjust twice per year and it takes lots of staff over 50 hours to do so! Not that I'm all that worried about them, but in offices, workshops etc., all over the country time is wasted re-setting clocks - and time is money.
I've got to go out in the cold now and re-set my sundial.....

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2017, 13:47:48 »

We get an extra hour of daylight this evening.  :)  How can that be a bad thing?  ???  ::)  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2017, 13:52:41 »

No you don't, unless you have a galactic influence denied to the rest of us mere mortals. You could have had the extra hour last week, or any day, by adjusting your personal waking/sleeping hours, if you so chose.

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2017, 13:52:54 »

We get an extra hour of daylight this evening.  :)  How can that be a bad thing?  ???  ::)  :y

:y

So, all that is needed is a bit of sunshine, and I can start thinking about firing up the BBQ !   :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2017, 13:56:31 »

:y

So, all that is needed is a bit of sunshine, and I can start thinking about firing up the BBQ !   :y
In March, in Wales? Eff off  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2017, 14:10:45 »

You have to think of the poor child living in the Utter Hebridies that would have to walk from the croft to school ;D ;D ;D

Or they could change the school day to start an hour later for all 67 of them, instead of pissing off the whole nation.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2017, 14:44:57 »

I got to work an eleven hour shift last night, so no complaints here ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2017, 14:47:26 »

Absolutely hate it. Normal working hours means unnecessary dark evenings during the winter. Most of my clocks are radio controlled as I have better things to waste my life on. I also find that it takes 1 to 2 weeks for internal body clock to adjust, which as a poor sleeper affects my sleeping patterns. :( :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Hopefully once Wee Krankie gets her way we can abandon this madness. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2017, 15:21:44 »

If you can't sleep at night, don't force yourself too... it's a 24 hour world, adjust yours to fit :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2017, 16:35:32 »

Or they could change the school day to start an hour later for all 67 of them, instead of pissing off the whole nation.  ::)
Means they'd have to walk home in the dark then.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2017, 17:05:52 »

Another "WHY".....why is it that when you lose an hour's sleep, it takes at least a week to recover/adjust, and yet when you gain an hour the benefit evaporates as rapidly as a politicians promises after an election? ::)

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2017, 17:12:51 »

I never notice the hour lost......................because I am retired and can carryon leading my quiet, unhurried life ;D ;D ;D

You poor souls who work as I once did...how I do not miss that! :D ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2017, 17:17:56 »

Same here, Lizzie, but what I DO miss is the income - my pension ain't elastic enough to stretch to running a thirsty Omega!  :(

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2017, 17:21:18 »

Same here, Lizzie, but what I DO miss is the income - my pension ain't elastic enough to stretch to running a thirsty Omega!  :(

Ron.

Ah, that is not good news Ron. :-\

I only do about 4K miles a year now, so MPG is never an issue, and my Company and State pensions cover that. ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2017, 18:12:40 »

Ron.

I only do about 4K miles a year now, so MPG is never an issue, and my Company and State pensions cover that. ;)

Ahhhhh Pensions. Now there another whole new can of worms topic  :-\  . . . . . . . .

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2017, 18:26:39 »

Ron.

Ahhhhh Pensions. Now there another whole new can of worms topic  :-\  . . . . . . . .

Were you one of the ones affected by the moving retirement dates? Wife and I are in the "retire at 70" age group. My personal prediction is nearer 80.  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2017, 18:54:06 »

I was in education (a college), so could have retired at 60; I chose 62 and a reduced lump sum (all gone ages ago!) but teaching wears you down - not the students, so much, but interfering governments and management.  >:(

on.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2017, 19:40:19 »

If you can't sleep at night, don't force yourself too... it's a 24 hour world, adjust yours to fit :y

The secret to a relatively stress free life as a nightshift worker.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2017, 19:41:10 »

Give them a fackin torch.  ::) ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2017, 22:34:20 »

Give them a fackin torch.  ::) ;D
Well if gave them a fackin torch they could walk to school in the fackin mornings when its dark.  ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2017, 23:18:35 »

Ron.

Were you one of the ones affected by the moving retirement dates? Wife and I are in the "retire at 70" age group. My personal prediction is nearer 80.  ;D

No, not affected. I've had letters telling me that I need to claim if I want pension to be paid. The thing is, I'm still earning a modest amount, so any pension income will be deducted from my tax free allowance. Effectively, I'll pay tax on it. So the way I see it, taking the pension only makes sense when I have zero other income. Errrrrr  . . . I think  :-\

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2017, 00:11:55 »

No you don't, unless you have a galactic influence denied to the rest of us mere mortals. You could have had the extra hour last week, or any day, by adjusting your personal waking/sleeping hours, if you so chose.

Ron.

Alright boss I'm coming into work at 8am and going home at 4pm this summer. You nutcase  ::)

It's GMT in the winter that's bullshit not BST.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2017, 08:36:01 »

Ron.

Alright boss I'm coming into work at 8am and going home at 4pm this summer. You nutcase  ::)

It's GMT in the winter that's bullshit not BST.

Trouble is, X30XE, most people here are 90 years old and have forgotten what it was like to be in the workforce with a boss to answer to! ;)  ;D

Except Opti, we determined last week that he's at least 130..

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2017, 11:01:47 »

Aaron, no way have I forgotten! I taught at a college and with a full timetable, I had to here, there and everywhere at precise times - or answer to the consequences. Now, having retired, it is supreme luxury to get up whenever I chose and do whatever I want to.....within the constraints of my budget and hospital appointments - the downsides of retirement.  :(

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2017, 11:06:38 »

Aaron, no way have I forgotten! I taught at a college and with a full timetable, I had to here, there and everywhere at precise times - or answer to the consequences. Now, having retired, it is supreme luxury to get up whenever I chose and do whatever I want to.....within the constraints of my budget and hospital appointments - the downsides of retirement.  :(

T'was tongue in cheek really Ron ;) and jealousy! (Of the luxury part, not the hospital appointments, of course)

I'd say I'm looking forward to retiring but that seems a very far off prospect, assuming I don't end up working until they push me into a hole in the ground ;D (I'm only 38 so y'know.. a few years to go yet)

It was just starting to get lighter in the mornings for my commute on the days I'm in the office, now I guess it'll be back to being pitch black at 5:30am when I leave  :'(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 March 2017, 11:12:35 »

Yes, I did realise that; it's what I like about this site - the friendly p*ss-taking! And obviously the invaluable help, freely given. Where else......?  ;D 8) :y

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2017, 13:56:03 »

Ron.
Twenty weeks holiday a year hardly constitutes full time... ::)

Light the fuse and ruuuuuuuunnnn :D

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2017, 14:52:14 »

;D ;D

Careful Al, Big Ron might send his friend Big Winston round! ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2017, 15:57:06 »

DG, I don't need to smack you because you know better than that - NOBODY gets to have all of the FOURTEEN weeks holiday; we are far too busy catching up on the backlog of admin., preparation and a myriad of other things that working 12-hour days don't suffice, even after taking work home as well!
However, I've give Big Winston your address.....  >:(

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2017, 16:01:51 »

Just spotted that you said "full time". If you read me properly, I said full timeTABLE, which means every waking moment at college and due to cuts and limited resources, doing several jobs at once.
A colleague was once timetable inm THREE classes at the same time - he time-dhared like crazy!
Just before I retired, they were making plans to have all teaching staff fitted with socked up their ars*s so that they could sweep the corridors at the same time - saves on cleaners!  ::)

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2017, 16:02:39 »

Both my parents were teachers, so I know how much time they had off and how much effort was put into preparation/marking/report writing etc. Seven years incarceration helped to reinforce that, although we kids had less work to do during our 18 weeks of holidays ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 March 2017, 16:15:06 »

I KNEW you knew!
Ok, I'll call Big Winston off - but keep up the p*ss-taking, it's what makes this forum so special..... 8)

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2017, 22:00:29 »

T'was tongue in cheek really Ron ;) and jealousy! (Of the luxury part, not the hospital appointments, of course)

I'd say I'm looking forward to retiring but that seems a very far off prospect, assuming I don't end up working until they push me into a hole in the ground ;D (I'm only 38 so y'know.. a few years to go yet)

It was just starting to get lighter in the mornings for my commute on the days I'm in the office, now I guess it'll be back to being pitch black at 5:30am when I leave  :'(
I,m also retired Aaron and it,s bl**dy fantastic but don,t go wishing your life away. Do all you can now as some poor buggers don,t even make retirement. :(

aaronjb

« Reply #44 on: 28 March 2017, 07:36:34 »

Aye very true!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 March 2017, 09:53:19 »

We had double summertime during the war. GMT+1 in winter, +2 in summer. Lovely long summer days I recall, pity about the bombs. :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 29 March 2017, 09:02:14 »

Have you recovered yet Ron?  :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 29 March 2017, 09:33:03 »

We had double summertime during the war. GMT+1 in winter, +2 in summer. Lovely long summer days I recall, pity about the bombs. :(

I had a similar experience this week. Clocks went forward an hour on Sunday, flew to Switzerland on Monday (so another hour forward), then get told they work 7-5 here. Still not fully up to speed yet!  ???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.