Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy costs  (Read 3765 times)

aaronjb

Re: Energy costs
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2013, 14:45:11 »

Sounds high to me, too..

4 bed house, 2 occupants (unless you count two cats and three hamsters) - most laundry is tumble dried, there are two 8-bay NAS's permanently on along with a Mac Mini and HP Microserver, the (electricity eating) kitchen lights get left on a lot and it's a 1970 build with next to no loft insulation and nothing in the cavity but fresh air - it does have double glazing, however.

I'm paying £145/mo combined..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2013, 14:48:14 »

Thanks all for your replies ...... Eon are doing a meter check in the next few weeks (another meter fitted parallel with ours as a comparison) so we'll see what happens.
Ta  :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2013, 15:03:14 »

don't confuse what you are paying with what is your actual consumption and cost. Check how much you have in credit - I bet it is a big figure they owe you.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 15:09:35 by pscocoa »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2013, 15:09:36 »

I live in a 4 bed detached house. In the main, there's just me & SWMBO along with guest appearances from my daughter.  ;)

I get both gas & electric from Eon and am currently paying what I think is an inordinate amount for them.(gas) a mon I pay £107 (leccy) & £86 th. We have two electric showers but don't ever use the tumble dryer. I can't think of anything unusual in our leccy usage compared with what others might use. In the last 12 months I use 18000 kWh of gas & 9000 kWhs of leccy

I'd be interested to hear what others are paying.  :-\

Might be worth switching, Andy.

It is far easier than it used to be.........about ten minutes. :y

We've just moved from EDF to Scottish Power and will save about £250 a year. :y
« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 15:11:10 by Mr. Opti »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2013, 15:21:41 »

As pscocoa said, maybe worth seeing what credit you are in, gas wise I got to £100 in credit, so they (British Gas) sent me £100 back last year  :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2013, 15:25:22 »

don't confuse what you are paying with what is your actual consumption and cost. Check how much you have in credit - I bet it is a big figure they owe you.

I'd need to find the last statement, but I usually get any large amounts of credit back when/if I notice

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2013, 15:26:53 »

I live in a 4 bed detached house. In the main, there's just me & SWMBO along with guest appearances from my daughter.  ;)

I get both gas & electric from Eon and am currently paying what I think is an inordinate amount for them.(gas) a mon I pay £107 (leccy) & £86 th. We have two electric showers but don't ever use the tumble dryer. I can't think of anything unusual in our leccy usage compared with what others might use. In the last 12 months I use 18000 kWh of gas & 9000 kWhs of leccy

I'd be interested to hear what others are paying.  :-\

Might be worth switching, Andy.

It is far easier than it used to be.........about ten minutes. :y

We've just moved from EDF to Scottish Power and will save about £250 a year. :y

I phoned them earlier asking re cheaper deals. They could knock off a massive £100 a YEAR from my bills!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'll wait till I see any result of my meter check & then see

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2013, 15:28:02 »

As pscocoa said, maybe worth seeing what credit you are in, gas wise I got to £100 in credit, so they (British Gas) sent me £100 back last year  :o

But this is the time of year when you'd expect to be in credit to some degree ie paying over the odds during the summer when the bills are likely to be lower  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2013, 15:29:14 »

True, but about 2 years ago I was still £100 in credit come summer. Just saying it's worth checking, as everyone else has indicated that is a very large bill.  :)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 November 2013, 15:33:40 »

I am owed about £400 but the billing model of the suppliers is variable - i.e. some do not adjust on monthly meter reading but wait for the end of a 6 month period - this causes a lot of confusion.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 November 2013, 15:37:55 »

Normally I'm falling over energy statements, but the last leccy I can find is for last Jan when I was about £20 in credit  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 November 2013, 15:40:05 »

Supplier aside, you are using the same amount of gas as my reasonably efficient house and loads more electricity, so this is where you need to focus, IMHO. Yes, cavity wall insulation is a good step if you don't already have but, but unless the lion's share of that electricity consumption goes on space heating, I can't see it addressing the real problem.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 November 2013, 15:56:08 »

Yes, insulation etc only generaly helps gas costs for most GCH houses.

Electricity consumption seems the area to focus, classic 'hidden' consumers can be older fridges/freezers (as the coolant leaks over time the motor ends up running 24/7 and guzzling energy), loft lighting, pond pumps etc, all lower energy users but running for long periods of time.

MR MISTER

« Reply #28 on: 25 November 2013, 16:00:12 »

Yes, insulation etc only generaly helps gas costs for most GCH houses.

Electricity consumption seems the area to focus, classic 'hidden' consumers can be older fridges/freezers (as the coolant leaks over time the motor ends up running 24/7 and guzzling energy), loft lighting, pond pumps etc, all lower energy users but running for long periods of time.
Hmmmm....what do you reckon a PlayStation, a Wii, a sky box, an LCD TV, a PC and a monitor would use on standby?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 November 2013, 16:37:54 »

The Fridge is a reasonably recent 7 or 8 yr okld Samsung RS21J??? half & half fridge freezer, my 'loft lighting' is a bulb in a cable that I plug in on the landing when I venture up there, no ponds or pumps
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.