Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy costs  (Read 3763 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Energy costs
« on: 25 November 2013, 13:16:31 »

I live in a 4 bed detached house. In the main, there's just me & SWMBO along with guest appearances from my daughter.  ;)

I get both gas & electric from Eon and am currently paying what I think is an inordinate amount for them. I pay £107 (leccy) & £86 (gas) a month. We have two electric showers but don't ever use the tumble dryer. I can't think of anything unusual in our leccy usage compared with what others might use. In the last 12 months I use 18000 kWh of gas & 9000 kWhs of leccy

I'd be interested to hear what others are paying.  :-\

MR MISTER

Re: Energy costs
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2013, 13:20:54 »

2 bed semi with EON. £109 a month duel fuel, but that will rise as I'm only one month into a two year fix and they haven't adjusted the DD yet. My heating is on constant, hot water as I need it (and thats lots with my two). Electric cooker.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2013, 13:27:10 »

Just left a 1 Bed flat in London, it was built in 1936 so about as efficient as TB's exercise.  The walls were feking freezing in the winter, the boiler was bit pants too, we had it on a fair amount. Also it was a combi, so on-demand for hot water.

Bills when I left, it was £40/m gas £30/m leccy.

Just about to move to a 4 bed detached house (assuming all goes well) - Met current owners last week, both gas and leccy combined were around £90/m

However, it is new build with solar panels.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2013, 13:33:30 »

Ours is around 120 a month for the combined bill.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2013, 13:34:17 »

I think I'm paying for the street  ;D  ;D  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2013, 13:35:57 »

Nah, it'll be that hydroponics setup you have in the loft ::) ;D

MR MISTER

« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2013, 13:36:57 »

When I lived in Liverpool we got all our leccy from the street. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2013, 13:47:32 »

Nah, it'll be that hydroponics setup you have in the loft ::) ;D

shhhhhhhhhh!  ::) ;)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2013, 13:50:27 »

I live in a 4 bed detached house. In the main, there's just me & SWMBO along with guest appearances from my daughter.  ;)

I get both gas & electric from Eon and am currently paying what I think is an inordinate amount for them. I pay £107 (leccy) & £86 (gas) a month. We have two electric showers but don't ever use the tumble dryer. I can't think of anything unusual in our leccy usage compared with what others might use. In the last 12 months I use 18000 kWh of gas & 9000 kWhs of leccy

seems expensive for size of house. Would have thought £130 a month combined. Do you have cavity wall insulation etc, double glazing - high ceilings?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2013, 13:56:50 »

seems expensive for size of house. Would have thought £130 a month combined. Do you have cavity wall insulation etc, double glazing - high ceilings?

Double glazing & some insulation in the loft, but no cavity wall. Just standard 7' 6" ceilings

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2013, 14:15:35 »

Double glazing & some insulation in the loft, but no cavity wall. Just standard 7' 6" ceilings

My parents had cavity wall stuff put in, it made a huge, huge difference! Combined with double glazing it was a vast improvement. Also had much better loft insulation put in, last time I went up there, it was warm in the house, but freezing in the loft. How it should be!

cleggy

« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2013, 14:22:43 »

When I lived in Liverpool we got all our leccy from the street. ;D

Why am I not suprised :y you probably still do ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

3 bed 1930's semi comes in at £100 per month for joint bill. No cavity walls(double brick), double glazing, masses of loft insulation and usual white goods, gas cooker and combi boiler.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 14:38:39 by Cleggy »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2013, 14:33:18 »

My parents had cavity wall stuff put in, it made a huge, huge difference! Combined with double glazing it was a vast improvement. Also had much better loft insulation put in, last time I went up there, it was warm in the house, but freezing in the loft. How it should be!

I've been dubious of cavity wall ......  :-\  :-\  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2013, 14:34:11 »

4 Bed house here with 2 occupants.

Currently on about 17k KWH gas for the last year and 5k leccy and it's just over £100 monthly IIRC.

House was built in 1998 and has whatever insulation was mandated at that time.

Your leccy consumption looks high given that we use it for all cooking, all laundry is tumble dried, lounge is often heated using an electric fire, I have a server that runs 24/7 and the place is plastered with "always on" gadgets.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2013, 14:40:55 »

I've been dubious of cavity wall ......  :-\  :-\  :-\

Can't say for every type of house, but with my parents (build 1989) it was the biggest single improvement, based on that I'd highly recommend it. If the house we bought did not have it, with first one that was the case, it was going to be fitted  :y

Fairly cheap too at the time, think it was via a grant thing, so peanuts to install. Although not sure if its so easy now  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.