Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing original HID "bulbs" - worth it?  (Read 1508 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Replacing original HID "bulbs" - worth it?
« on: 12 September 2006, 15:33:06 »

Further to my previous moan about the HIDs in my Omega being pretty disappointing compared to the ones in my BMW, I'm thinking the "bulbs" may have dulled a fair bit due to them being 8 years old, with who knows how many hours of burn time but probably quite high too with the mileage on the car. HIDs are known to both dull, and get slightly bluer with age.

I am considering buying a brand new pair of genuine VX D2S "bulbs" and replacing the existing ones (which I can probably then flog on eBay, unless the new ones indicate that they are actually really worn out, in which case I'll be honest and bin them).

What I'd like to know is, has anyone replaced their ageing HIDs and noticed any considerable difference? Also, how much work is involved in it, I know they're not as easy to change as halogens! I've changed HIDs before in my BMW so know what to expect, but every headlight unit is different (and knowing how the Omega is designed, I wouldn't be surprised if a bulb change required removal of the engine ;)).

Cheers.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing original HID "bulbs" - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2006, 15:39:40 »

I wouldn't know where to start with replacing HID bulbs but I think Ronnie Mcb replaced one on a project of his he should have more knowledge of this.

Might be worth asking him :)

Sorry I couldn't suggest any better.

Good Luck with the fix.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2006, 19:05:38 »

I haven't tried changing the bulbs but I did remove the headlight unit on my old miggy which had HIDs (the adjuster mechanism had shattered). From memory, access to the rear of the units is poor. You'll need to remove the battery, but seeing as you're going to remove the bulbs that's a good thing - you need to leave the bulbs for a little while (10 minutes?) before removing them to give the ballasts time to discharge after disconnecting the battery. I think once you've done that, pull off the rubber caps at the back of the headlight - turn the wire connector from the dipped beam and it then pulls off (like a BNC plug), then I believe the bulb will come out in a similar way - I don't think it is held in place by spring clips like the main beam bulb is. You may need to remove the airbox to get good enough access to the other side!

Just remember to leave the battery disconnected for 10 mins or so before disconnecting the wire from the dipped beam bulb!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2006, 19:05:48 »

I'm guessing the HIDs on my car are original (seeing as I appear to have all receipts), but still OK. I noticed they are still set to continental (must have forgotten to change back last time, as the thing came back on low loader due to crank sensor failure). As good as my brothers old 3 series (probably around V reg?), or pretty damn near.

So, not sure that they do dull significantly to warrant replacing...
Grumpy old man

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2006, 12:25:00 »

These kind of HID bulbs get worse over time, I know with High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide HID bulbs they loose quite alot of efficiency in the first year or so...so definitly worth a replace in my opinion if they are 8 years old!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2006, 10:35:35 »

OK cheers guys, I might give it a shot depending on how flush I'm feeling  ;)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2006, 07:59:42 »

I don't know how much (if at all) they 'fade' or 'dull'. I had one that had blown effectively and was just a dim yellow glow, the other one was original as far as I know. The brand new replacement bulb looked exactly (brightness, clarity etc) the same as the older one, so I didn't see any great gain.

More likely problem is the lens. They cloud after time and can be brought back to life with some G3 or T-cut on the lense itself.

Also, considering the cost of the xenon bulbs, about £70 EACH, I would rather keep the dosh and make do. But then I am a tight bar steward!
« Last Edit: 15 September 2006, 08:03:32 by RonaldMcBurger »

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2006, 17:16:15 »

Cheers ronnie, the fact that you fitted a new one that didn't seem much different to the old one has put me off this idea, lot of work and cash for probably very little gain :(

I'll just need to drive only during daylight, which during winter in Scotland gives me about a 4 hour window each day ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2006, 17:22:52 »

I'll just need to drive only during daylight, which during winter in Scotland gives me about a 4 hour window each day ;D
LOL

But think of the long days in the summer... :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.