Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting Cruise to a 98 'baby' facelift...  (Read 1420 times)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
Fitting Cruise to a 98 'baby' facelift...
« on: 20 August 2006, 19:35:02 »

Think I'm right in baby face...  has the clear lights, the window switches are still next to the auto selector...  this right??  Either way, its a 98-R (non fly-by-wire)  Few more questions than the original fitting of Cruise control, so will see how it pans out...

Been looking at doing a fitting Cruise Control to it, over on the 'other' site, rpont posted this pic about the pump location when he was fitting it...

http://www.infohitsystems.ltd.uk/Gallery/dirwrap_photo.sh?rt=wrap&path=Car/P1010054.JPG

First of... is the pump needed for fitting cc the one with the 2 pipes going into it, on a 90-degree L bend??  if so, then my meggy already has this pump, although right by it there is another connector hanging down, has I think 4 or 6 wires on the plug?!? unsure as to what this is... is this also related to when fitting cruise control??

Also, checking the pollen filter, there is another plug which is just loose, not connected to anything, has 2 or 3 wires going to it, what is this used for?  Climate Control?

As my car doesn't have Climate Control, how easy would it be to fit?  Is it just a case of getting the control panel & console facia of one with it fitted? The car 'does' have air-con, although in need of a service (it stinks and doesnt work when turned on) so is it worth fitting climate or just leaving it?

Cheers

Paul
Humbugs...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Cruise to a 98 'baby' facelift...
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2006, 19:43:41 »

OK.

The pump is actually a hindrance in the fitting of cruise as the standard bracket uses the same mounting points as the cruise module. The location shown in the pic is not ideal as it touches the engine which will move and may chafe through the water pipes.

As well as the module you will need the indicator stalk and brake switch plus if its manual a clutch switch also, the wiring is all there and the main cruise wiring for the actuator will be in a plastic keeper mounted on the drivers side suspension strut.

Climate is a nightmare to fit and requires new looms, sensors etc so not a really possibility.

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2006, 19:55:05 »

Well least now I know that pump isnt related to the cruise, so will start attacking some Omega's in the local scrappers next week while also on the hunt for an ABS ECU...

Bus still curious as to what this plug is right next to the pollen filter...  there is nothing there to connect to it or anything!
Humbugs...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2006, 20:05:53 »

Well least now I know that pump isnt related to the cruise .....
That's the electric water pump isn't it? Mines on the radiator passenger side towards the top.(99 preface lift)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2006, 20:09:58 »

The cars that have the extra elec water pump also have the one on the radiator!

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2006, 20:22:19 »

Rpont's solution doesn't look too bad to me.

This is what I did:

Part no: 90469353, £3.83 + VAT

Some holes:

Circlips, part no: 11051532, 40p for 10.
Plus some rubber washers.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2006, 21:32:58 »

Thats how it should be done.......you can use the mount for the water pump on the end of the rad....easy to find in the scrap yerds.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2006, 13:19:11 »

OK.

The pump is actually a hindrance in the fitting of cruise as the standard bracket uses the same mounting points as the cruise module. The location shown in the pic is not ideal as it touches the engine which will move and may chafe through the water pipes.
I'm not happy with the location either. At first I thought I would tiewrap the center pump pipe to the coolant pipe but that is very close to the engine and the metal coolant pipe so it will put strain on the pump bracket as the engine moves.

I have a slightly different cruise module bracket to Jason and I don't think I have that extra bit to drill the holes for the pins. I think I would have put the rubber washers on the other side of the bracket to stop the c clips rubbing against the metal but it does make it a neat job. My bracket is pressed down where the bolts to fasten the cruise module fit so that the top of the bolts is flush with the bracket but it does mean I have room to put bolt heads between the bracket and the module.

I'll do some more pics once I've sorted things out but I think I'm going to chop my pump bracket up and bolt it to the cruise bracket.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2006, 21:18:39 »

I've moved the pump bracket and used the other hole. It's in a much better possition now and clear of the engine and pipes.

You can see it in this pic and the one after. The two before show where it was first fitted.

http://www.infohitsystems.ltd.uk/Gallery/dirwrap_photo.sh?rt=wrap&path=Car/P1010056.JPG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.