Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bl**dy a*sing b*st*rd bolt  (Read 2812 times)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
Bl**dy a*sing b*st*rd bolt
« on: 24 August 2006, 17:05:25 »

Yes, this bolt;

It's one of the bolts that holds the pulley to the water pump....It sheared when i was trying to torque it up....I couldn't find the torque figure in the haynes, just 'coolant pump 25NM' so i torqued it to 25NM! Well, actually i didn't because it sheared first! Luckily i managed to get it out. I suppose i should just go to Vaux and buy some new bolts?

Also, at some point one of the PAS pump thread's has managed to strip itself  >:( It's one of the bolt hole's that holds the pulley to the pump. The other 2 are fine though....Could i just use thread lock on the 3rd bolt? I don't really fancy replacing the pump just because of a stripped thread.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2006, 22:45:32 by admin »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody arsing bastard bolt
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2006, 17:16:57 »

You may be all right with thread lock.

By the way, the torque values are in the maintenance area....and the water pump torque is bugger all.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2006, 17:19:38 »

That's probably because it's a stretch bolt as are the ones for the power steering pulley. You should replace them with new ones.

The coolant pump bolts that are torqued to 25Nm are the ones holding the pump to the block. The pulley bolts are torqued to 8Nm then angle tightend a further 30 degrees then another 30 degrees. It's in Haynes just below the 25Nm for the pump to block.

The power steering pulley bolts are torqued to 20Nm then 30 and 15 degrees.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2006, 17:26:20 »

That could explain why it sheared then! lol

I didn't think the pulley bolts were that important/accurately torqued, it's not like they're under any/much pressure  :-?

I'll get new bolts for the PAS and water pump pulley then, but i'll go for thread lock on the stripped PAS bolt. Cheers for that info, i couldn't find/see the torque values anywhere!

I don't need new bolts for the crank pulley do i? Or the aux. drive belt tensioner? I still haven't got the bloody torque angle gauge  >:(

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2006, 21:17:32 »

ON a car many years ago I was replacing the head and a gust of wind blew the pagfes from engine A to engine B with a lot higher torque values - I did not notice (1/2 way down page) and snapped a head bolt

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2006, 21:38:29 »

I dont replace the bolts....but I dont over tighten them either.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2006, 21:51:41 »

That could explain why it sheared then! lol

I didn't think the pulley bolts were that important/accurately torqued, it's not like they're under any/much pressure  :-?

I'll get new bolts for the PAS and water pump pulley then, but i'll go for thread lock on the stripped PAS bolt. Cheers for that info, i couldn't find/see the torque values anywhere!

I don't need new bolts for the crank pulley do i? Or the aux. drive belt tensioner? I still haven't got the bloody torque angle gauge  >:(
It depends on how often the pulley bolts have been stretched before.

Crankshaft pulley bolts are to 20Nm and aren't angle tightened so can be reused if they are in good condition. I can't see a torque for the auxillary belt tensioner pully. Bolts are only a few pence (OK maybe 30 or 40) but a pulley coming off at 6,000 revs can do a lot of damage. I wouldn't expect one to snap once it's in use but I'd rather just change the bolts personally.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2006, 22:06:58 »

Just out of interest I wondered how fast the outer rim of a pulley would be going at 6000rpm.

Assuming a 4inch diameter pulley

circumference = 2 * pi * r so for a 4inch diameter pulley that would be 12.57 inches.

Multiply that by 6,000 (RPM) and by 60 (mins in hour) to get inches per hour. Divide by 36 and 1,760 to get MPH of 71.42.

Does that sound right? I don't know the diameter of any pulleys but I wouldn't like something doing over 70 miles an hour coming loose under the bonnet.

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2006, 22:42:37 »

Also, at some point one of the PAS pump thread's has managed to strip itself  >:( It's one of the bolt hole's that holds the pulley to the pump. The other 2 are fine though....Could i just use thread lock on the 3rd bolt? I don't really fancy replacing the pump just because of a stripped thread.

you could use a heli coil to replace the stripped bolt its basically a replacement thread downside it needs a special tool to fit which maybe u could borrow / rent. they are used in the aviation industry so its not a bodge job
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
Re: Bl**dy a*sing b*st*rd bolt
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2006, 07:38:04 »

Warning!!!!!!!!

from around 1998 the water pump pulley bolts had patch lock on them - these are the ones you will get from VM - make sure you tap the old patch lock out of the water pump first - or you will shear another bolt -  M4 thread.

rpont thread has the correct torque & angle value - original bolts were just done upto 8NM with no loctite - but they had warranty issues - pulleys flying off oops!!!!

Yes, this bolt;

It's one of the bolts that holds the pulley to the water pump....It sheared when i was trying to torque it up....I couldn't find the torque figure in the haynes, just 'coolant pump 25NM' so i torqued it to 25NM! Well, actually i didn't because it sheared first! Luckily i managed to get it out. I suppose i should just go to Vaux and buy some new bolts?

V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2006, 07:49:24 »

from around 1998 the water pump pulley bolts had patch lock on them - .....
:-? patch lock? Another term for loctite?  :-/

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2006, 08:07:14 »

Yes - but dry type already on the bolt - usually blue or green - also used on other V6 bolts, Adaptor - cylinder heads, splash plate - later oil pumps & thermostat housings.

from around 1998 the water pump pulley bolts had patch lock on them - .....
:-? patch lock? Another term for loctite?  :-/
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2006, 08:17:48 »

Yes - but dry type already on the bolt - usually blue or green - also used on other V6 bolts, Adaptor - cylinder heads, splash plate - later oil pumps & thermostat housings......
Ahh! That's what you call it. ::) It's not a term I've come across before.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2006, 09:57:16 »

You can make your own angle gauge.

Cut a circle of card, about 5" diameter.
Mark a bold reference line from centre to edge then use a school protractor to mark more lines at 15,30, 60 and 90 degrees anticlockwise around from the reference line.
Make a hole in the centre which is a snug fit on a short extension bar.

To use it, put the socket on the bolt and take up any slack or slop then rotate the card disc until the reference line lines up with some obvious feature, eg an adjacent bolt, the edge of a casting etc. Then tighten bolt until the required angle marking lines up with the same feature.

Just make sure that the card disk is not going to catch on anything as it turns (this also applies to the bought gauges as well)

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2006, 11:45:36 »

Warning!!!!!!!!

from around 1998 the water pump pulley bolts had patch lock on them - these are the ones you will get from VM - make sure you tap the old patch lock out of the water pump first - or you will shear another bolt -  M4 thread.
I've seen the patch lock on the new bolts but I wouldn't have thought about cleaning it out of the hole with an M4 tap so thanks for that.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2006, 21:27:06 »

Rpont, cheers for the torque values  ;)

I've got some new bolts, so i'll see if there's any left over 'patch lock'. With the new bolts, could i not just use thread lock?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.