Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V6  HBV & Cam Cover gasket advice please ?  (Read 1176 times)

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
  • She who must be obeyed's motor !
    • View Profile
V6  HBV & Cam Cover gasket advice please ?
« on: 27 August 2006, 07:38:20 »

Hi,
     i am going to replace the HBV on my 99 2.5 V6 shortly. I could also do with replacing the cam cover gaskets and am wondering if i can save a bit of work..

Seeing as i will need to remove the plenum to do the gaskets , will i then have sufficient room to access the HBV without having to remove the wipers and false scuttle. I know that it is best to remove the scuttle when replacing the HBV with the plenum in place but mine will be off.

2. I seem to remember that one colour cam cover gasket set was better quality than another. Is it the black ones which are okay and the grey ones are to be avoided or the other way round?

3. I will be using the proper black sealant ( got the part number ) . Am i right in sayoing that  this only goes on the 90 degree angles of the gasket channel and not around the entire circumference.

Thanks Darryl
Darryl

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: V6  HBV & Cam Cover gasket advice please ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2006, 09:43:10 »

you'll need to whip off scuttle anyway. With plenum off as well as scuttle, HBV is fairly easy, if a bit fiddly.

AFAIK, only genuine cam gaskets are black?

And remember to clear out breather system whilst you're there!
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2006, 15:08:37 »

Darryl.

1. Remove the scuttle. It is a 5 minute job all in and makes life a lot easier. Actually with the scuttle and the plenum off, the HBV is relatively straightforward to change (well, compared to some jobs!)

2. ONLY get the gasket set from Vx.  Buying from elsewhere means a real chance of getting non genuine gaskets which are a waste of money.

3. Sealant should only go on places where there is a "sudden change in direction" (to quote Mark).

4. Make sure ALL the old gasket is removed and the surfaces are completely clean and dry.

5. Torque setting is just 8nm.

6. When cleaning the breathers, remember the throttle butterflies too, the cr*p they accumulate is impressive!

Good luck. It is a fiddly, messy job. But well worth it. :)  
The Administrator.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2006, 16:48:00 »

Yep.... what he just said.

Now, if you (like most people) don't have a torque wrench that goes low enough, 8Nm is basically like this. Using a screwdrive handle type 1/4 drive, and the small torx (or equiv. mm )socket, do them up in a circular movement. ie, there are 8 bolts so lets number them like this:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

Start with doing them all up hand tight first, then using this screwdriver handle jobber, start with 2 then 3 then 7 then 6. Lastly do 5, 1, 4 8. Do them up as tight as you can with that screwdriver type handle, basically a good hand tight.

Lastly go back around the lot using a 1/4" drive ratchet and give each one a 1/4 turn. Basically, 8Nm is just above hand tight.

Either that or borrow my low setting torque wrench.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2006, 18:12:08 »

Either that or borrow my low setting torque wrench.

Fin, what's the make of your torque wrench please?
I like red cars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.