Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated O2 Sensors  (Read 1635 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Heated O2 Sensors
« on: 26 October 2017, 11:33:44 »

I'm currently trying to sort out fuel trim issues on a 3.2l, acquiring knowledge and information from some very good (and some not so good) Youtube videos, and a cheap but seemingly good code reader which gives live data.
The O2 sensor No. 1 on bank 2 and its heater circuit seem to be non-working but I realise that further investigation is necessary before a new one is thrown in.
There is a wide range of sensor prices on-line, ranging from Circa £30 to £120, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what the best buy might be. Is there any advantage to be gained by spending top money?
Are both Sensors 1 and 2 the same?
Cheers,
Bill.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Heated O2 Sensors
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2017, 12:29:39 »

Electrically, all 4 sensors on the 3.2 are the same but the lead lengths differ from front to rear. One option is to buy generic sensors and to wire the connectors on yourself, splicing them in with soldered joints and heat shrink sleeving.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2017, 14:58:52 »

Thanks Kevin. I'll look into that.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2017, 00:18:25 »

You can measure the heating ccrt once disconnected, never done it but Im guessing it will be in the low Ohm range, say 6 to 10 ohms across the heater element, from memory the 3.2 are 4 wire so need to find the right pair to measure.

Personally there are some crap or cheap shit sensors around starting around 25 quid upwards, if it was me I would rather take my chance on some original second hand GM ones if your just trying to fault find or prove a fault.  ;)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2017, 14:22:07 »

Thanks Zirk,
I'm hoping to get underneath on Sunday and intend to remove the bank 2 No1 sensor to bench test the heater circuit and the main sensor voltage under heat conditions.
All the signs suggest a goosed unit, but it could of course be bad or damaged wiring connections. If I have to replace it I'll bite the bullet and go for a higher cost well known make, as this car is a 'keeper'.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2017, 14:26:27 »

The O2 sensors are the last place you wanna save money on. I bought some "cheap" but not so cheap ones, lasted about 2 months... Bought Bosch which cost twice as much but should last forever.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2017, 14:30:22 »

Yep, it's worth buying genuine Bosch, but you can still get "universal" genuine sensors without connectors on, which are a good saving over purchasing the Omega specific part.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2017, 14:41:08 »

Decision made on this if I have to replace, especially as I have a friend who can get me staff discounts at Halfords who stock Bosch sensors.
Thanks for your help.
Despite comments on here from time to time, I find Halfords' service in Southport to be top notch, and the normal Trade Card discounts are not to be sneezed at, even though not available on everything. And yes! You can get a Trade card just by asking nicely.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.