Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: House prices  (Read 13431 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: House prices
« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2016, 12:55:00 »

My own experience is more mixed, amongst those I work with, and former colleagues, it's probably 90% remain. Guys at my rugby club is more mixed, perhaps 55-60% leave.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes, not just the headline figure, but how different groups vote. I noted a recent article that reckons that nearly 75% of under 30's want to remain, while 65% of over 60's want to leave.

This is because young people look to the future and old people look to the past.

On Newsnight the other day an 'oldie' from Eastbourne said she was voting to leave the EU because she wanted England to be like it was in the fifties.

I don't agree. Young people weren't born before we were in the EU, so have no idea of what life could be like without it. They have also often been educated in Universities which receive EU funding, and teach accordingly.
Older people by definition, have more life experience than younger people, and remember life before the EU. Older people are often less susceptible to the crap spoken by politicians, as they have seen / heard it all before, which is why those who remember what Wilson did in the 70,s will be harder to fool this time around. They are probably also more aware of the potential this country has as a stand alone nation.
Younf people tend to live in the present moment. Older people live in the present with the benefit of having learned from the past, and usually with a degree of concern regarding the legacy they will leave future generations imo.

Much of what you say is true, Mig.

Young people tend to see themselves as 'citizens of the world'. They think on a more global scale. This is good as the young should be adventurous.

Older people  tend to want to 'batten down the hatches' They like to conserve, to  keep things they way they are.......or alternatively, go back to a time when they felt more comfortable and in control.

ted_one

« Reply #61 on: 26 May 2016, 08:18:35 »

On a personal basis.....I sort of don't really care wether we stay or leave the EU,as already stated I would prefer an out vote as I think as a nation we have the backbone to strike out and stop hanging on to the coat tails of a bunch of parasites who in truth have very little respect for the british and really only need our financial input.As to one of the arguments relating to causing ourselves a year or so's recession if we leave,then all I can say is what country were we all in, a few years back, err when we had a recession then...must have been dreaming!obviously not here ..must have been another England in another EU in a galaxy far far away. ::) :)

05omegav6

« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2016, 08:30:42 »

On a personal basis.....I sort of don't really care wether we stay or leave the EU,as already stated I would prefer an out vote as I think as a nation we have the backbone to strike out and stop hanging on to the coat tails of a bunch of parasites who in truth have very little respect for the british and really only need our financial input.As to one of the arguments relating to causing ourselves a year or so's recession if we leave,then all I can say is what country were we all in, a few years back, err when we had a recession then...must have been dreaming!obviously not here ..must have been another England in another EU in a galaxy far far away. ::) :)
Telling too that the rest of Europe is still perilously close to that recession  :-X

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 May 2016, 08:31:15 »

The European Union is failing. Its common currency and its Schengen free movement policy are disasters. Whatever Britain does it must fall apart eventually. The referendum is Britain's chance to leave first.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2016, 12:54:26 »

The European Union is failing. Its common currency and its Schengen free movement policy are disasters. Whatever Britain does it must fall apart eventually. The referendum is Britain's chance to leave first.

Absolutely  agree 100%.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2016, 18:25:31 »

Me too.  :y
Immigration figures for the last year at a third of a million. Its completely unsustainable, and while we are governed from abroad, there is nothing whatsoever that can be done about it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2016, 19:05:02 »

Went into my local Wetherspoons yesterday and on the table i sat at was a copy of their magazine. In it was a twelve page E.U. referendum special with articles from both sides, (though their chief exec Tim Martin is a confirmed Brexiter). Must admit that i thought it was quite a good read and gave me some insights that the endless media soundbites don.t. If you get a chance to read it, do so and see what you think.

05omegav6

« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2016, 19:17:04 »

Went into my local Wetherspoons yesterday and on the table i sat at was a copy of their magazine. In it was a twelve page E.U. referendum special with articles from both sides, (though their chief exec Tim Martin is a confirmed Brexiter). Must admit that i thought it was quite a good read and gave me some insights that the endless media soundbites don.t. If you get a chance to read it, do so and see what you think.
Should be in one on Tuesday night, be sure to have a looksie :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2016, 20:59:38 »

Although it is labelled Brexit...This one gives a good insight on how the EU Works.  :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0
« Last Edit: 27 May 2016, 21:08:42 by BIGtime »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 28 May 2016, 11:14:31 »

Although it is labelled Brexit...This one gives a good insight on how the EU Works.  :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

.. and without any hysterical ranting about immigration, too. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 28 May 2016, 12:24:09 »

Democracy in action isn't very democratic.

In 2015 David Cameron and the Conservative party were elected with just 36% of the vote.

Almost two thirds, 64% of the people who voted, did not vote for the Tories.

Democratic, or not democratic?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2016, 12:29:19 »

The vote to either remain or leave the EU will be more democratic.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 28 May 2016, 13:06:09 »

In 2015 David Cameron and the Conservative party were elected with just 36% of the vote.

Dictionary definition of democracy: A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives

So yes, democratic. Your objection is to our first past the post system of electing a government, which usually leads to the statistics you state. But all of the other systems, like proportional representation or eliminating the weaker candidates through further ballots, do the same thing and often lead to impermanent coalitions that are even less satisfactory.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2016, 13:23:28 by Nick W »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 28 May 2016, 13:15:09 »

Dictionary definition of democracy: A system of government by the whole population or all the eligiblemembers of a state, typically through elected representatives

So yes, democratic. Your objection is to our first past the post system of electing a government, which usually leads to the statistics you state. But all of the other systems, like proportional representation or eliminating the weaker candidates through further ballots, do the same thing and often lead to impermanent coalitions which are even less satisfactory.

True.

It seems 'we the people' have democratically elected a government that two out of three of us didn't vote for. ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 28 May 2016, 13:32:24 »

As it happens, I also went into my local Wetherspoons yesterday, and I also took home copy of the said publication.

Looks interesting but not read it yet though  ::)
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.