Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Scam Warning - BT  (Read 3399 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Another Scam Warning - BT
« on: 09 September 2019, 16:12:56 »

Just to let you all know, so that you can warn your older relatives especially (including my age group!! ::) ::)) that today down here in Kent I have received THREE calls this afternoon from 'people' / bastards purporting to be from BT claiming that, due to "irregular activity" on my internet, my Broadband will be terminated over the next 24 hours unless "1" press to speak to an agent, or "2" to speak to their termination agents!

This is of course would develop to a scam, which I have of course reported to BT and the National Fraud Action lines. I also spoke to an "agent" each time, who all had American accents, and informed them I worked alongside Kent Police, they were scammers, of an evil parentage!!!

The numbers to watch out for are:
                  01224626310            03203498331            03265540870

I have of course blocked these numbers now ;)

Just all be careful, although this scam has been going some time now and they are after your bank details / payments to stop the internet problems / authorisation to remotely control your PC / "special programmes" to give your PC added protection (!!!) /  selling of all kinds of fake services / etc. :)
« Last Edit: 09 September 2019, 16:15:04 by Lizzie Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Another Scam Warning - BT
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 16:29:39 »

I've had a call 'from BT' too today, though it was a recorded message rather than a real person, I forget now what they said the problem was.
Coincidently SWMBO got a text message today about unusual activity on Pay Pal account ..... she doesn't have one.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 16:50:00 »

Got this phone call last week, so much for being ex directory.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 17:09:55 »

Got this phone call last week, so much for being ex directory.

Same here!

With one call I challenged them to give me my name: they knew it!  So I, and no doubt you Steve, have all our details on the Darknet, all open to offers from these bastards, probably at just £1 a time!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2019, 17:13:10 »

I've had a call 'from BT' too today, though it was a recorded message rather than a real person, I forget now what they said the problem was.
Coincidently SWMBO got a text message today about unusual activity on Pay Pal account ..... she doesn't have one.

That is what it is to start with as that gets around your TPS registration if you have one, as I have, so at that point makes it a "legal" call (damn stupid!!), then you are prompted to press a button on your phone to get through to a 'real' person who does the scamming business. >:(

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2019, 17:30:24 »

I didn't press any buttons, it was obviously a nuisance call.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2019, 17:33:26 »

But I like pressing theirs, just in case it makes any difference, and I gather evidence to give to National Action Fraud. 8) 8)

The authorities MAY stop these people eventually! ::) ::) :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2019, 17:47:35 »

But I like pressing theirs, just in case it makes any difference, and I gather evidence to give to National Action Fraud. 8) 8)

you're too trusting  .... or naive  ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2019, 17:54:18 »

Action fraud? Oh dear.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9725428/fraud-victims-mocked-moron-psychos-call-centre-staff-posing-police/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2019, 18:02:43 »

Action fraud? Oh dear.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9725428/fraud-victims-mocked-moron-psychos-call-centre-staff-posing-police/

Never have I had any Action Fraud staff claim that police will be able to "solve" anything, just the standard statement that the information you give will be assessed and provided to the police to aid enquiries.

I would not believe anything the Sun publish ::) :P

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 18:05:00 »

Action fraud? Oh dear.

Never have I had any Action Fraud staff claim that police will be able to "solve" anything, just the standard statement that the information you give will be assessed and provided to the police to aid enquiries.

The sun was the first I came across, it was all over your beloved BBC.  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 18:11:35 »

Trusting? Me?!  If you knew me you would know that is not true, as I have been dealing with dishonest and plain criminally minded people all of my adult life.  I trust literally no one, even within the family! ;)

How do you think pressing a number on your phone with the absolute attention of obtaining information on what they are trying to do, then making it perfectly clear what I think of those scammers, is too trusting or naive?  I give them no information  and just interrogate them as I did in work, which leads to them putting the phone down.?

If no one tries to ascertain anything about them to give information to the authorities, the 'attacks' on the finances of very vulnerable people who have not got my experience and knowledge will continue. :( :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 18:13:10 »

Action fraud? Oh dear.

The sun was the first I came across, it was all over your beloved BBC.  ::)

Whatever Steve, but that claim does not match my experience and the knowledge of the police.  If it turns out to be true, then changes will no doubt be made to no doubt a minority of staff involved  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 18:19:30 »

They are no more than a data collection centre, no one has time to investigate anything other than the largest fraud offences. Even the SFO have been criticised for lacking the teeth to bring a successful prosecution.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 18:20:00 »

Trusting? Me?!  If you knew me you would know that is not true, as I have been dealing with dishonest and plain criminally minded people all of my adult life.  I trust literally no one, even within the family! ;)

How do you think pressing a number on your phone with the absolute attention of obtaining information on what they are trying to do, then making it perfectly clear what I think of those scammers, is too trusting or naive?  I give them no information  and just interrogate them as I did in work, which leads to them putting the phone down.?

If no one tries to ascertain anything about them to give information to the authorities, the 'attacks' on the finances of very vulnerable people who have not got my experience and knowledge will continue. :( :(

I was pulling your leg .....  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.