Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Scam Warning - BT  (Read 3394 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Another Scam Warning - BT
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2019, 18:25:30 »

I didn't press any buttons, it was obviously a nuisance call.

But I like pressing theirs, just in case it makes any difference, and I gather evidence to give to National Action Fraud. 8) 8)

The authorities MAY stop these people eventually! ::) ::) :P

you're too trusting  .... or naive  ::) ::)

Trusting? Me?!  If you knew me you would know that is not true, as I have been dealing with dishonest and plain criminally minded people all of my adult life.  I trust literally no one, even within the family! ;)

How do you think pressing a number on your phone with the absolute attention of obtaining information on what they are trying to do, then making it perfectly clear what I think of those scammers, is too trusting or naive?  I give them no information  and just interrogate them as I did in work, which leads to them putting the phone down.?

If no one tries to ascertain anything about them to give information to the authorities, the 'attacks' on the finances of very vulnerable people who have not got my experience and knowledge will continue. :( :(

I was pulling your leg ..... ;)

That's good Andy! ;D ;D ;D

I will take the opportunity to say that being naive and too trusting is when people believe a phone call from a 'police officer' stating their bank account has been compromised, then hand over ten's of thousands of pounds of cash to 'an officer' who arrives pre-arranged to "aid" the claimed "investigation" into an alleged fraud!  Now that is just plain stupid!  But it is happening all to frequently! :o :o >:( >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2019, 18:35:36 »

They are no more than a data collection centre, no one has time to investigate anything other than the largest fraud offences. Even the SFO have been criticised for lacking the teeth to bring a successful prosecution.

Now that IS very true and should be understood by anyone ringing them.  The police have, at the moment let alone in the future,  just not got the resource to investigate EVERY instance of fraud.  But, what happens is a file is built up with some very crucial information, amoungst the dross, which all together can at last give the lead the police require.

I believe that it has never been the case that more than a small percentage of crime is ever solved (like with Jack The Ripper), and not every criminal will be brought to book.  That is especially true after PACE 1984, when before if a copper could get the truth out of a criminal they would with a good cop, bad cop, approach with no softie approach allowed ( I knew high ranking police officers from pre 1984 who confirmed that was sometimes/all too often very true!!  But, we all know, that led to some grave injustice and the flourishing of a bent cop regime, now, I just hope, mostly illuminated - but as I am not too trusting and naive, I still am suspicious of what can go on.  However, usually now the culprit has more rights than the victim!! >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 09 September 2019, 18:39:29 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2019, 21:23:52 »

All frauds are based on pressuring people into taking an immediate action on a false premise to stop a disaster. Most of them are based on immediate short term actions, so you don't have time to rationally think about this & about the obvious flaws in their arguments, but not all. If it is a complex problem as climate fraud proves, which is why for the last 30 years we've had 15 months to save the planet from fatal thermal runaway unless societies spend vast amounts on expensive useless green things like intermittent energy sources that don't work & how we have all got to stop moving around & live on a diet of gruel, unless you are royalty or rich or privileged when you can pay a £5 CO2 penance to the appropriate CO2 offset god & continue as normal with your CO2 intense lifestyle. >:( >:( >:(

If you've got a BT account where it will be processed in India then all your details will be known where you preferred they weren't where this is extra bunce & a 'perk' of the job selling your data. About 15 years a go I had a phone call from 'BT' where they knew the payment date & Post Office where my last bill had been paid & would I like to give them my bank details to setup a DD. I said no thanks as you have called me, so I don't know who is calling. When I pointed out anybody, can call anybody & purport to be representing anyone, lets just say from that point onwards in the call the caller got increasingly assertive, then aggressive, so I ended the call, checked with BT & they confirmed that nobody had called me. Not long after that I read in the trade magazine Computer Weekly about BT data leak problems, which of course they have always officially denied. >:( >:( >:(

If you get a phone call on anything with 'suspicious' activity on an account, tell them to sod off & then call the bank / teleco, if necessary using either a different phone line / mobile to confirm it is a hoax, if the call needs to go that far as once it is an obvious fraud call I'm then normally very loud & very rude until they get the message & terminate the call. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2019, 21:39:49 »

I never answer the house phone,I let it ring until it goes to answer machine then I can either respond to the message left[perhaps not surprisingly not many of the calls I receive leave a message]or not as the case may be.I rarely answer my mobile unless it's from a number recognised by the phones memory.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2019, 21:49:06 »

... and it's not just little old ladies that get scammed by these scammers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7430695/Helen-Skelton-reveals-scammed-70K-fake-phone-call-bank.html

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2019, 08:22:05 »

... and it's not just little old ladies that get scammed by these scammers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7430695/Helen-Skelton-reveals-scammed-70K-fake-phone-call-bank.html

Yep, stupid people come in all age groups, and with the younger generations who should have heard all about telephone scams, giving away your bank details to someone who has cold called you I find absolutely amazing!  Now that is very naive! ::) ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2019, 08:25:22 »

I never answer the house phone,I let it ring until it goes to answer machine then I can either respond to the message left[perhaps not surprisingly not many of the calls I receive leave a message]or not as the case may be.I rarely answer my mobile unless it's from a number recognised by the phones memory.

The other phone scam is the call from an unknown number that comes through, you answer it and it goes dead. Or you do not answer it but are curious as to who it was.  Some, who are not scam aware, then ring the number back to find out who has called them!!  A person answers and keeps them talking, at premium phone calk rates!! ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2019, 16:43:14 »

Got this phone call last week, so much for being ex directory.

Same here!

With one call I challenged them to give me my name: they knew it!  So I, and no doubt you Steve, have all our details on the Darknet, all open to offers from these bastards, probably at just £1 a time!! >:( >:( >:( >:(
You aint worth that much.  If you was on a suckers list (and you probably are if you have *EVER* pressed a button on a recorded announcement call, or engaged in a bit of "fun" when scam called), you might be worth a few pence.

But a standard 600m list of names, addresses, numbers, partial card numbers etc is probably sub $1k now.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2019, 16:46:27 »

That is what it is to start with as that gets around your TPS registration if you have one, as I have, so at that point makes it a "legal" call (damn stupid!!), then you are prompted to press a button on your phone to get through to a 'real' person who does the scamming business. >:(
Which is essentially a database that marketing companies use to call with a recorded message ;)

TPS should not really be used. They are scum.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2019, 18:27:41 »

That is what it is to start with as that gets around your TPS registration if you have one, as I have, so at that point makes it a "legal" call (damn stupid!!), then you are prompted to press a button on your phone to get through to a 'real' person who does the scamming business. >:(
Which is essentially a database that marketing companies use to call with a recorded message ;)

TPS should not really be used. They are scum.

I could not agree more now as I have been very disappointed in their failure to stop the unsolicited calls we get because a machine sends the calls out so they are considered not illegal and something TPS cannot stop; like calls from abroad!! :o :o ::) ::) ::)

I now say, what is the point of TPS!! >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2019, 11:28:45 »

I now say, what is the point of TPS!! >:(
Its a great, authorised, legal list of active phone numbers your can spam with calls.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.