Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ex-pod cars  (Read 3515 times)

3.2 CHARLIE

• View Profile
Ex-pod cars
« on: 14 August 2010, 03:14:09 »

Hello , Noticed a few ex-police Omega's Turning up at Auction .. Worth buying ? Most any good ? Regards  ::)

erubus

• blairgowrie
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-pod cars
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2010, 10:21:05 »

on the one hand they will have been regularly serviced and repaired over their lives.  On the other hand they'll likely have been driven hard and abused/broken quite a lot over their lives.  They'll also have poverty spec interiors, and possibly holes where special equipment has been fitted.  but they will also usually be quite cheap and for traffic cars (I think most would have been traffic cars anyway) they'll likely be fitted with the more powerful engines.  I'd say pot luck, but would probably be worthwhile.

Ploppy

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2010, 10:28:19 »

Well I cant complain, mine an ex arv , colour grey.
No holes what so ever , very powerful and drives like a dream.
The best car Ive had so far.
Best thing to do is try for an unmarked one, less holes etc....
Hope that helps.

Ploppy :y

erubus

• blairgowrie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2010, 10:54:24 »

i used to know a guy who had an ex-plod astra.  although just a panda car in it's former life and a diesel to boot, it was definately more powerful than a std one.  I always thought the irony of his evening job, which was shall we say in the supply and demand business, was always done in this ex police car.

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2010, 11:28:57 »

on the one hand they will have been regularly serviced and repaired over their lives.  On the other hand they'll likely have been driven hard and abused/broken quite a lot over their lives.  They'll also have poverty spec interiors, and possibly holes where special equipment has been fitted.  but they will also usually be quite cheap and for traffic cars (I think most would have been traffic cars anyway) they'll likely be fitted with the more powerful engines.  I'd say pot luck, but would probably be worthwhile.
Engines are standard. ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2010, 11:49:08 »

Engines are standard. ;)
But usually 3.0 or 3.2 (ie 'the more powerful engines'  ;) )
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

nordic

• Sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2010, 16:52:13 »

Having been employed by two police forces - both avoiding the omega - I can say that Motor patrol vehicles are given far better treatment and care by the Force than any panda cars.

They will be serviced more frequently and any problems will immediately result in the car being taken out of service.

The reason for this is that motor patrol vehicles are expected to be involved in high speed police pursuits where the likelyhood of a potential fatality is high.

On the other hand - no police officer treats such a 'tool of the trade' with much respect. They will have been accelerated very hard from stand still often and body work and interior trim is a regarded as a low priority.

Older motor patrol cars - particularly covert vehicles (Black Omegas) are often used as 'bandit cars' for training purposes towards the end of their lives. They will be chased and 'boxed in' during TPAC training and can get quite badly damaged. Tracking etc... will not be undertaken prior to auction for example. Pitted and opaqe headlamps will not be replaced.

Most police forces have a 'procurement department' responsible for purchasing. These talk to each other and will exchange details with regards the cost of running a particular vehicle. Volvo's are far cheaper than BMW's for example. Where Mondeo V6's give up the chase at 60k!

Driver training also impacts upon which car is chosen as a motor patrol vehicle. Volvo's require a front wheel drive course. To introduce a BMW to the fleet is very expensive with regards training for such a rear wheel driven car. If there is change there must be a course! Imagine a fatal crash involving a police car and the driver states he was never trained to frive a rear wheel drive car at such high speed!

Almost all forces undertake their own servicing approaching dealers only for computer help. My former Chief Constable had a Volvo S80 which was serviced entirely by the force from purchase. It was auctioned with its paper records of service within the Force. If you do buy one from auction the force it came from might be willing to provide you with such records? You can only but try!

As for re-sale value impacting upon a forces choice of purchase - this is largely a mith. It was the reason for some forces introducing silver patrol cars but now such vehicles are coming up to auction they have found colour still does not escape the fact that it is an ex-plod car! Values are low.

Andy

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2010, 19:56:13 »

A few people who I have spoken to are convinced that X police Omegas are faster than standard ones.

I suppose the only way to tell is to rolling road test them or to ask someone who works in the servicing department for the police.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2010, 20:45:13 »

They are sold when they need a service, not just after they've had one.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2010, 20:51:25 »

Not always, my most recent ex police vehicle bought direct from the police authority was serviced 365 before disposal, along with new tyres and fresh MOT along with PCO visual check. The vehicle has had 7 changes of brake fluid in 61k miles, along with many many services. I phoned the authority in question and they gave my a detailed account of what was done in each service.
I have bought numerous ex police vehicles direct from the police, and never ever had a problem. The only ex police vehicle's I've had problems with is the one's that have been in private ownership since.

It also depends which force it comes from; TVP and the Met are good, whereas some forces are just terrible.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2010, 20:52:02 by joshwyatt »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2010, 22:33:00 »

A few people who I have spoken to are convinced that X police Omegas are faster than standard ones.

I suppose the only way to tell is to rolling road test them or to ask someone who works in the servicing department for the police.
My theory is that the engines (and ecu's) are the same as everyone elses. Any differences being down to how the engine was  'run in'.

Modern production techniques result in engines that really need to be driven through a range of conditions soon after being put on the road. Maybe the Police ones are the only ones that get ever get used at full throttle for long enough to hit 140 ;D
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2010, 23:18:43 »

Not always, my most recent ex police vehicle bought direct from the police authority was serviced 365 before disposal, along with new tyres and fresh MOT along with PCO visual check. The vehicle has had 7 changes of brake fluid in 61k miles, along with many many services. I phoned the authority in question and they gave my a detailed account of what was done in each service.
I have bought numerous ex police vehicles direct from the police, and never ever had a problem. The only ex police vehicle's I've had problems with is the one's that have been in private ownership since.

It also depends which force it comes from; TVP and the Met are good, whereas some forces are just terrible.

Generally, they are sold when they need a service, not just after they've had one.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

Ploppy

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2010, 23:28:21 »

At the end of the day, it is luck of the draw.

I knew my current car when it started in service to its finish date  , so really lucky to have got hold of it... :D :D

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2010, 23:39:41 »

Everyone ex-police car I've ever bought and there has been a few, has been fantastic. I wish I could say the same about private cars I've owned. Most of them spend most of their lives on the motorway with a few being used around town, their service schedules are tip top. I always find they go better than standard cars too, may just be me but, I've always thought that. Then again my Dad always has said and still sticks by the fact that cars are generally quicker when they're given the beans most of the time  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2010, 00:00:01 »

As far as plod cars 'being faster' or 'more powerful'.

I think it's down to the drivers being better trained than Joe Public
Look at one make race series - exactly the same cars, and wired to stop any mods to engine and drive train internals, yet some cars are quicker than others.
Gotta be the driver...................
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2010, 03:26:24 »

I think it's down to a lower geared dif, which are sometimes LSD, and having driven an 03 ex plod that the plod never bought due to a cancelled order, and noticed the engine revs at set speeds like 50 and 70, the revs are about 400 rpm higher, and yes, it's noticeably quicker, and sits noticeably lower on it's springs btw.also noticed a tighter feel from the steering at straight ahead, like the steering box had been tightened a tiny fraction too tight.

Very basic spec, but it was great to drive. :y

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2010, 08:08:28 »

I thought the police used the MV6 spec / setup suspension?

Mind you if we see police Omegas wizzing around town, 70mph in a 30mph we're going to think they are fast.

My friend showed me his new Astra (the fast one, is it a VXR?). Anyway he asked what I was driving to which I showed him my car, 3.0 MV6 Omega, his first thought was 'police car, they're fast them.'

Even though his VXR would have killed my mig in a race.

So there is something in the air about Omegas and them being police cars and fast lol. A skooby wouldn't race me the other day, can you believe it?

I'm thinking it is around 8 seconds to 60, super unleaded makes a difference.

Very fast after 70 lol - raced a merk over 70 and he shit it lol.

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2010, 15:07:20 »

So there is something in the air about Omegas and them being police cars and fast lol

Anyone of a certain age spent about 10 years thinking that there was a good chance of any dark coloured Omega on the motorway being an unmarked police car.. it's still the first thought when one creeps up behind me on the motorway today, even though they long switched from Omegas around here.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2010, 22:44:56 »

i have two ex-plod Omegas. Whilst I can say that they've been serviced regularly, the quality of the work done to both cars is the worst I've ever come across.

as an idea, one even had a bunch of live wires toed together and shoved under the carpet - still live.

police cars make great transport if you don't mind a thorough overhaul before you use them, and don't want toys - both ideal for me. But I'd shudder at the thought of getting one with the intention of getting straight into it as a "daily-driver"

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2010, 23:24:57 »

i've had 2 ex plod 3.2 migs.
first one showed 115k and came from devon and cornwall, with no history. when i contacted them to get the mileage of any belt changes i was told, and i quote:
'i have to confirm that we owned that vehicle, as it was registered to us. i cannot confirm any history of that vehicle as that would imply some sort of guarantee'.  :-X
second one came from thames valley, with 99k and a full printout, including new battery and alternator 2 months previously, and 100k service just carried out. oil was still clean. :)
as i understand it, WA51YNG is still going strong at 180k+ :), OU54AEW is awaiting suspension work and a cambelt service, both time and money dependant. :-/
would i buy another? of course. :y

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2010, 10:09:47 »

I think I saw one for sale on ebay once with all the kit still on it, even had the flashing lights.

Not sure if it was a copy of a police car though.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2010, 16:41:45 »

I think it's down to a lower geared dif, which are sometimes LSD, and having driven an 03 ex plod that the plod never bought due to a cancelled order, and noticed the engine revs at set speeds like 50 and 70, the revs are about 400 rpm higher, and yes, it's noticeably quicker, and sits noticeably lower on it's springs btw.also noticed a tighter feel from the steering at straight ahead, like the steering box had been tightened a tiny fraction too tight.

Very basic spec, but it was great to drive. :y

I think the basic spec makes them faster as well,all the toys in the elites,leccy seats and suspension pumps and self levellers and such like all add weight
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2010, 17:11:17 »

Been told most forces used to re chip them, my thinking is a lower ratio diff with a remap would have the edge over standard.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 17:14:56 by zirk »

harpersimon

• Marlow, Bucks
  • Live fast, Die young - leave a good looking corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 August 2010, 18:03:14 »

My uncle had one as an unmarked plod car for years. I remember it being v quick and it was serviced and maintained to an insane level - new wiper blades when the oldones got wet sort of thing... however now I own one, I can't say it was any quicker than mine. I don't think they are anything more than well looked after production models with some more radios:-) - but well looked after is a plus point. Go for it.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2010, 18:44:00 »

Been told most forces used to re chip them, my thinking is a lower ratio diff with a remap would have the edge over standard.

Bet they didn't.....   Not by the force concerned, that is.  Perhaps a different map from the manufacturers (and thats doubtfull, in my experience).  That said, I do know of at least one T5 that was chipped by a couple of Trafpol simply because they knew a man that knew a man....

Best bet is simply that they are poverty spec and got The Big Stick right from day one week one as opposed to slowly steady running in procedures.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2010, 19:36:22 »

I was always told run a new car in as you're supposed to and get a long lived engine, rag it from new and it will be faster but may not have as long a life. But as new engines are supposed to be run in on the bench I wonder if this is as relevant nowadays?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2010, 20:34:28 »

I was always told run a new car in as you're supposed to and get a long lived engine, rag it from new and it will be faster but may not have as long a life. But as new engines are supposed to be run in on the bench I wonder if this is as relevant nowadays?

Fair point and well made.   :y

All the Police want is it to be cheap at the first instance (normally circa 30% of standard book price!) and then last a couple of years and 100k plus miles or so.  Then, await it to be eagerly snapped up by folks who want one 'cos its been chipped and faster than a fast thing, innit......

Police dont care if it lasts or not, TBH.  If it breaks, it will be fixed.  If it doesn't then, at end of life, will be used as a T-pac training car, skid correction, bandit car whatever before it will be sent to the block and they will happily take what they can. ;D
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 20:36:15 by hotel21 »

Iain

« Reply #27 on: 16 August 2010, 20:52:31 »

I know a guy who got a 'G' reg Senator from Strathclyde Police,   G*** TYS i believe,
It was based at Greenock and he got it because his mate was a mechanic there and this particular Senny had came in new, its factory 24v engine removed and wrapped up on a pallet and put on a shelf and a replacement engine installed(i dont know anything about the replacement plant).
When it was de-commisioned, the original engine was taken out the pallet and returned to TYS...
So he got a ragged Senny with an factory engine which had only done a few miles!

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 August 2010, 10:51:14 »

Hey, i've got a little question... :)

take a look at this one
http://otomoto.pl/opel-omega-omega-mv6-3-2-anglik-kombi-v5-C14684855.html

it seems to be ex-pod (3.2 manual)

but interesting is it has mechanical throttle and egr, so it has to run on motronic 2.8.1

Does any 3.2 ex-pod manual miggy run 2.8.1, or there's something wrong with this car (engine swap?)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2010, 10:57:00 »

strange, early for a 3.2 as well I think

someone has added the roofbars, they are not standard on ex-police...

just checking EPC...

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 August 2010, 11:00:58 »

EPC confirms that to be an X30XE engine, so the advert is wrong.

It does confirm it was a police car, and that it left the factory with a limited slip diff  (3.9 - 1):y

I guess it could have had a 3.2 put in, but with the old ancilliaries added to keep the ecu happy  :-/
« Last Edit: 17 August 2010, 11:06:19 by jimbob »

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2010, 11:12:31 »

That's interesting Jimbob, I never knew EPC could tell you original specs in so much detail. Without meaning to be too cheeky, what does EPC say about OY52 YOG and EN52 KSK?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2010, 11:13:58 »

how did I know I was gonna open myself up to that...

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 August 2010, 11:18:09 »

your 1st is a 3.2 with LSD, your 2nd a 2.6 without LSD.

cant copy and paste the data it would appear....having a play

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 August 2010, 11:48:25 »

Many thanks for the PM's, most interesting...especially about the 3.2 police variant  :y

Squatch

• Belfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 August 2010, 12:06:36 »

From my admittedly limited experience (I've only had the one) I would say go for it albeit with caveats..all of which have been covered in other posts. My car has given no trouble and has needed only routine servicing. The spec is very basic but that does not bother me. It is certainly quick - which I would attribute to the manual box and lack of heavy gadgets - the stories of special engine mods are total guff! Good luck :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 August 2010, 15:26:09 »

That's interesting Jimbob, I never knew EPC could tell you original specs in so much detail. Without meaning to be too cheeky, what does EPC say about OY52 YOG and EN52 KSK?
Hasn't DLK told you about that yet Josh?
I usually get a phone call when he wants a car checking up. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 17 August 2010, 16:34:48 »

There's a nice looking grey 3.2 Elite on fleabay at the moment that's ex police.. Rather tempting at the price..

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 August 2010, 15:45:13 »

From my admittedly limited experience (I've only had the one) I would say go for it albeit with caveats..all of which have been covered in other posts. My car has given no trouble and has needed only routine servicing. The spec is very basic but that does not bother me. It is certainly quick - which I would attribute to the manual box and lack of heavy gadgets - the stories of special engine mods are total guff! Good luck :y

but they would have big chunky lights and cameras etc. so probably weigh the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.