Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: not sure if hg problems now  (Read 4203 times)

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
not sure if hg problems now
« on: 16 January 2015, 09:40:24 »

so a few bits happening not sure if related and could do with some help, ok so today had look around car which is 2.6 mv6 fl. I have been having problems with temp guage sitting around the 80-85 when running then rising when sitting then fans on back to where should be 85-90 then after driving for a bit lowers to 80-85.
after school run this morning which is only about 3 miles I look under bonnet and noticed expansion tank level higher it was about 1/2 inch above line, anyway I checked oil dipstick and sitting about 1/2 way I then checked oil cap and it has a bit gunge not a huge amount but some , I then loosened expansion tank and it bubbled a fair bit and rose to almost pouring out , so put cap back on, I also noticed got oil leak right side under the wiring tray so maybe rocker cover but unsure and marks dtm who was kind enough to work on car is tied up at present so is there any members with mechanical knowledge around Milton Keynes please that can give this a look. would appreciate any help provided. :)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: not sure if hg problems now
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 09:49:52 »

I'm not sure any of that is unusual - temps sounds ok, gunge on cap normal - only thing I'm not sure about is expansion tank. If you took cap off when its hot though it is a pressurised system and so will expand.

Is it running ok?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 11:31:21 »

thanks for reply runs a bit groggy it seems slight splutter best way describe it I guess due mot in a week so maybe they can look over thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 11:42:28 »

Hot coolant level is higher than cold level, so might be slightly over filled...

Coolant temp behaviour sounds normal, but if temp gets much below 85 I'd be looking to change the thermostat :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2015, 13:48:01 »

Probably slightly lazy stat, but all sounds normal otherwise.

Short journeys in cold weather cause oil cap mayo
Grumpy old man

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2015, 17:51:56 »

thanks for all that can I ask one of you chappies taxi al or Jamie if someone fancies looking over my car before I go for mot? obviously can provide beer tokens let me know pm please and thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2015, 19:59:07 »

What date is the MoT? January is fading, but I might be going Luton way at somepoint before Easter :-\

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2015, 20:05:50 »

need done in next couple weeks ideally reckon if car ok will get oil change and coolant as I did coolant last time and maybe that has something to do with as i'm useless 

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2015, 20:14:38 »

need done in next couple weeks ideally reckon if car ok will get oil change and coolant as I did coolant last time and maybe that has something to do with as i'm useless
Lol... the only way to screw up a coolant change would be to either forget to put the new stuff back in or to put all ten litres in through the oil cap... ;D

Joking aside, the thermostats do get lazy over time, and it only really shows up as a problem when the temperature starts to drop nearer freezing :y

Not sure I could fit you in before February though :-\

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2015, 20:18:30 »

ok mate, will try get decent place in mk to do mot and maybe oil and coolant change at cheap price well try anyway thanks anyway would rather have like of you doing it, thanks for now though if things change will be in touch :y

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2015, 20:32:31 »

ok mate, will try get decent place in mk to do mot and maybe oil and coolant change at cheap price well try anyway thanks anyway would rather have like of you doing it, thanks for now though if things change will be in touch :y
Appreciated  ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2015, 00:23:59 »

thanks for reply runs a bit groggy it seems slight splutter best way describe it I guess due mot in a week so maybe they can look over thanks

If cam covers leaking oil, plug wells probably full of oil ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2015, 10:30:01 »

As long as you put in 50:50 coolant recently, that's fine, no need for that to be redone.
Grumpy old man

martin341

• Finland
  • I do my own stunts.
    • '00 3,0 MV6, '00 2,5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2015, 12:36:42 »

If cam covers leaking oil, plug wells probably full of oil ;)
+1. Been there..

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2015, 11:59:40 »

just a update although bloody cold been out checked right side spark plug wells all dry oil seems to be beneath that and front of engine certainly damp behind pulleys. also checked oil level which was weird bit low then revved a wee bit checked and all the way past top level seems a fair bit smoke coming out dipstick pipe and from exhaust. now the coolant I did fill 50/50 as best I could and the level was sitting right now still about a inch above top line even taken a wee bit out with syringe. this is going to sound silly but when making sure no air do you keep cap on or off? I know but some of you know I am useless with this. trying to burp to see if stuck, also the tempo gauge had heaters on max sat car temp went to about 85 then slipped down a tad when revving car got up to 90+ heaters seem fine could it be the needle? or still thinking thermostat. anyway thanks for support but if any keen mechanic around the area want to have a look I am happy to bring over. thanks :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.