Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: not sure if hg problems now  (Read 4202 times)

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
not sure if hg problems now
« on: 16 January 2015, 09:40:24 »

so a few bits happening not sure if related and could do with some help, ok so today had look around car which is 2.6 mv6 fl. I have been having problems with temp guage sitting around the 80-85 when running then rising when sitting then fans on back to where should be 85-90 then after driving for a bit lowers to 80-85.
after school run this morning which is only about 3 miles I look under bonnet and noticed expansion tank level higher it was about 1/2 inch above line, anyway I checked oil dipstick and sitting about 1/2 way I then checked oil cap and it has a bit gunge not a huge amount but some , I then loosened expansion tank and it bubbled a fair bit and rose to almost pouring out , so put cap back on, I also noticed got oil leak right side under the wiring tray so maybe rocker cover but unsure and marks dtm who was kind enough to work on car is tied up at present so is there any members with mechanical knowledge around Milton Keynes please that can give this a look. would appreciate any help provided. :)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: not sure if hg problems now
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 09:49:52 »

I'm not sure any of that is unusual - temps sounds ok, gunge on cap normal - only thing I'm not sure about is expansion tank. If you took cap off when its hot though it is a pressurised system and so will expand.

Is it running ok?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 11:31:21 »

thanks for reply runs a bit groggy it seems slight splutter best way describe it I guess due mot in a week so maybe they can look over thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 11:42:28 »

Hot coolant level is higher than cold level, so might be slightly over filled...

Coolant temp behaviour sounds normal, but if temp gets much below 85 I'd be looking to change the thermostat :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2015, 13:48:01 »

Probably slightly lazy stat, but all sounds normal otherwise.

Short journeys in cold weather cause oil cap mayo
Grumpy old man

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2015, 17:51:56 »

thanks for all that can I ask one of you chappies taxi al or Jamie if someone fancies looking over my car before I go for mot? obviously can provide beer tokens let me know pm please and thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2015, 19:59:07 »

What date is the MoT? January is fading, but I might be going Luton way at somepoint before Easter :-\

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2015, 20:05:50 »

need done in next couple weeks ideally reckon if car ok will get oil change and coolant as I did coolant last time and maybe that has something to do with as i'm useless 

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2015, 20:14:38 »

need done in next couple weeks ideally reckon if car ok will get oil change and coolant as I did coolant last time and maybe that has something to do with as i'm useless
Lol... the only way to screw up a coolant change would be to either forget to put the new stuff back in or to put all ten litres in through the oil cap... ;D

Joking aside, the thermostats do get lazy over time, and it only really shows up as a problem when the temperature starts to drop nearer freezing :y

Not sure I could fit you in before February though :-\

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2015, 20:18:30 »

ok mate, will try get decent place in mk to do mot and maybe oil and coolant change at cheap price well try anyway thanks anyway would rather have like of you doing it, thanks for now though if things change will be in touch :y

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2015, 20:32:31 »

ok mate, will try get decent place in mk to do mot and maybe oil and coolant change at cheap price well try anyway thanks anyway would rather have like of you doing it, thanks for now though if things change will be in touch :y
Appreciated  ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2015, 00:23:59 »

thanks for reply runs a bit groggy it seems slight splutter best way describe it I guess due mot in a week so maybe they can look over thanks

If cam covers leaking oil, plug wells probably full of oil ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2015, 10:30:01 »

As long as you put in 50:50 coolant recently, that's fine, no need for that to be redone.
Grumpy old man

martin341

• Finland
  • I do my own stunts.
    • '00 3,0 MV6, '00 2,5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2015, 12:36:42 »

If cam covers leaking oil, plug wells probably full of oil ;)
+1. Been there..

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2015, 11:59:40 »

just a update although bloody cold been out checked right side spark plug wells all dry oil seems to be beneath that and front of engine certainly damp behind pulleys. also checked oil level which was weird bit low then revved a wee bit checked and all the way past top level seems a fair bit smoke coming out dipstick pipe and from exhaust. now the coolant I did fill 50/50 as best I could and the level was sitting right now still about a inch above top line even taken a wee bit out with syringe. this is going to sound silly but when making sure no air do you keep cap on or off? I know but some of you know I am useless with this. trying to burp to see if stuck, also the tempo gauge had heaters on max sat car temp went to about 85 then slipped down a tad when revving car got up to 90+ heaters seem fine could it be the needle? or still thinking thermostat. anyway thanks for support but if any keen mechanic around the area want to have a look I am happy to bring over. thanks :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2015, 12:53:36 »

Nothing you've mentioned points to a problem other than a slightly stuck open stat in my opinion.

Start the car from cold and keep your hand on't top hose. Does it get warm within a couple of minutes? If so change stat.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2015, 12:54:30 »

Ps, the top hose i refer to is the one on the right hand side as you look at the engine. this leads from thermostat to rad.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2015, 12:56:50 »

will check and get back to you thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2015, 15:01:19 »

When bleeding the Cooling system set both cabin temps to HI, leave the cap off, start the car and let it idle until the fans cut in twice. Switch off check the level, top up if needed and refit the cap.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2015, 16:50:31 »

When bleeding the Cooling system set both cabin temps to HI, leave the cap off, start the car and let it idle until the fans cut in twice. Switch off check the level, top up if needed and refit the cap.

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2015, 18:47:20 »

thanks taxi al  will try sort tomorrow, cars starting to do my head in. hopefully it will survive and get to Wycombe again this year.

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2015, 23:33:24 »

thanks taxi al  will try sort tomorrow, cars starting to do my head in. hopefully it will survive and get to Wycombe again this year.
Indeed :y

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2015, 12:59:06 »

Nothing you've mentioned points to a problem other than a slightly stuck open stat in my opinion.

Start the car from cold and keep your hand on't top hose. Does it get warm within a couple of minutes? If so change stat.

hi although cold this morning took a good few minutes before hose heating up

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2015, 13:30:47 »

hi mate, done what you said took a while to get up to temp for fans to cut in there was small bit overflow then sat there waited again till fans kicked in and again slight overflow, this time I noticed a couple small flakes that come out small hose running along side air filter box, and then went down to about a inch above max line. when switched off car level went no where left for few minutes went back started car level still same which is strange after loosing some still sitting same place would it be worth doing system again?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2015, 13:44:47 »

Brian.

It wont be head gasket (symptoms also confirm this), also, you will loose coolant if it heats to the point the fans come on as there will be areas in the engine at greater than 100deg C so you get local boiling (as the cap is off and there is no pressure in the system).

Out of interest, why did you change the coolant (as its only circa 1 year old so should be good for another 2-3 years)?

Key question is, with the cap on and under normal use, do you lose coolant?

Mark

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2015, 15:37:03 »

Brian.

It wont be head gasket (symptoms also confirm this), also, you will loose coolant if it heats to the point the fans come on as there will be areas in the engine at greater than 100deg C so you get local boiling (as the cap is off and there is no pressure in the system).

Out of interest, why did you change the coolant (as its only circa 1 year old so should be good for another 2-3 years)?

Key question is, with the cap on and under normal use, do you lose coolant?

Mark
hi mark,changed coolant cause sure someone said to try as temp gauge causing some ups and downs , anyway started writing this nearly at end and pressed wrong button anyway here goes, spent a while a car today, the start was fine but temp gauge takes a good few minutes to rise when it does it goes to about 85 ish and with air con on heat comes through, after running for few minutes the temp gauge drops to 80 or just above and remains there while on move until slowing down for r/bout or traffic then heads up to 90+ fans kick in and then drops to normal 85/90 but when driving on drops to 80+ again while this happening the heat often stops and you get bit cooler air coming through and then history repeats every time slowing etc until you stop and it sits anywhere between 85/90 but occasionally either heads up or down.
now the coolant, no loss when running etc and when changed I made sure over period couple days to check level was where it should be but around same time temp gauge started being funny the coolant started to rise in tank by about a inch or so above max,yesterday I took some out with syringe thingy back down to max level ran for while but then back to about a inch above max so today I opened cap and then red valve and let out a bit which took expansion tank to almost bottom  and then ran engine with blowers etc on hi  till temp up for fans kicking in I burped the hoses a fair bit and no difference to level so I filled to max then put cap on and tick over for few minutes till fans kick in again which takes ages with this temp guage not sure where to be, anyway it may be me but before and I mean before these happenings when you loosened off tank cap when hot you did so very slowly for pressure but today even with everything hot cap came off with no hiss etc  like no pressure. the level still sitting same at mo at max.
and just to add to the confusion the oil I have a leak somewhere to right side/front as wet behind pulleys and right side below black covers and just above heat shield. the oil level is weird also when checked it was in middle dipstick before but now its hard to get definite line it seems to be low but after running a while it the shows some above top level but again no definite mark there is a fair bit smoke coming out dipstick tube and when you open oil filler cap. I hope this makes sense to you thanks and can I just add since then fuel dropping to average 16 in town and run to Bedford and back on decent road 20.9
« Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 15:47:54 by brian36 »

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2015, 16:52:05 »

The temp behaviour is almost certainly thermostat related... It also explains the drop in mpg basically the engine doesn't warm up properly so the ecu thinks it is colder than it is and overfuels it :y

That bleeding process is simply getting any air out of the system. As Mark says, losing coolant when the system is sealed/pressurised points to a problem, but remember there's about an inch difference in level between a stone cold car and a hot one... So check it first thing before you start it.. If it's below the lower cold mark, top it up. Then once at work check again and it should be at the hot mark :y

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2015, 07:46:37 »

The temp behaviour is almost certainly thermostat related... It also explains the drop in mpg basically the engine doesn't warm up properly so the ecu thinks it is colder than it is and overfuels it :y

That bleeding process is simply getting any air out of the system. As Mark says, losing coolant when the system is sealed/pressurised points to a problem, but remember there's about an inch difference in level between a stone cold car and a hot one... So check it first thing before you start it.. If it's below the lower cold mark, top it up. Then once at work check again and it should be at the hot mark :y
thanks will check before heading out this morning :y

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2015, 14:59:26 »

ok so as far as coolant level did drop down overnight so checked before starting and topped up and rechecked later on all seems fine, now  is there anybody around the area feeling like helping to do the thermostat/housing etc on my 2.6 v6? Jamie I know if you look at this you have had it down a fair bit so you know you can if have the time, I know mark your busy so your out but any chance Jamie or someone close by can  please, taxi al are you far away?  :D

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2015, 15:33:20 »

About twenty miles past Guildford... How far from Woburn are you? Also do you have a driveway?

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 January 2015, 16:03:14 »

About twenty miles past Guildford... How far from Woburn are you? Also do you have a driveway?

about 7 miles or so and no drive, have a think if need be I don't mind driving down thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.