Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 3.2 estate Starts but won't run  (Read 2204 times)

GrpB Tom

• Shefford, bedfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Omega 3.2 estate Starts but won't run
« on: 19 January 2015, 11:23:33 »

Hi All,

Just a quickie - car starts but doesn't run. Cuts out after a few seconds. Due to the amount of gizmos just wondering what I should check first.
The thermostat was stuck open so I decided to change that which meant taking off the plenum and inlet manifolds and uncoupling all sorts of connectors and hoses. Therefore my problem is more likely to originate from something I have fiddled with and failed to put back properly.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
regards

GrpB Tom

• Shefford, bedfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 3.2 estate Starts but won't run
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2015, 11:42:25 »

further to my last post I have go the engine to run but it's very lumpy and I can hear popping in the plenum. As the revs increase it smooth's out and sounds normal. Its idle that seems to be the issue.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2015, 15:06:45 »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2015, 15:08:13 »

Have you had anything apart at all lately? Sounds very similar to mine a bit ago - and was a vac leak, due to an ill-tightened EGR.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2015, 15:20:58 »

Have you had anything apart at all lately? Sounds very similar to mine a bit ago - and was a vac leak, due to an ill-tightened EGR.
No egr on the 2.6/3.2 ;)

Pedal trick is a far more useful diagnostic tool than the earlier paperclip one as the dbw ecus are able to reveal alot more information :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2015, 16:49:39 »

No, very true - but what I meant was if there was a leak with anything that is associated with the vac / intake system - for instance if he'd had the plenum off, and it hadn't seated correctly, or any other kind of vac leak. Just sounded very similar symptoms to mine. Also not helping and stuffing up the idle was a badly adjusted throttle body butterfly - but I can't imagine that being the case here.

Other culprit could be ICV - give it a clean out, but make sure all rubber bits don't get carb cleaner on them, as these will corrode/go sticky and soft.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2015, 16:52:11 »

Today's not your day... ::)

No ICV on DBW cars either ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2015, 17:02:23 »

Pull the plenum off and check that you have connected up the injector loom in the right order  ;)

Ant bets that your codes will say "multiple misfires"
« Last Edit: 19 January 2015, 17:08:35 by tigers_gonads »

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2015, 17:25:11 »

Pull the plenum off and check that you have connected up the injector loom in the right order  ;)

That's not a bad shout thinking about it... I hadn't occurred to me as there shouldn't be a need to unplug the injectors individually :-\

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2015, 17:45:31 »

That's not a bad shout thinking about it... I hadn't occurred to me as there shouldn't be a need to unplug the injectors individually :-\

Made that cock up myself when I fitted the LPG  ::) :-[

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2015, 17:47:05 »

Made that cock up myself when I fitted the LPG  ::) :-[
Ah... that would do it :-\

GrpB Tom

• Shefford, bedfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2015, 06:44:49 »

HI All,
Thanks for your comments. I have been head scratching a lot over this one and replaying what I pulled off when I dismantled the plenum and intake manifold. I noticed the rather flimsy rubber gaskets on the plastic intake manifold were flat and thought I could bodge it with some sealant and an extra tweak of the spanner. I suspect this has not worked and I now have numerous air leaks around that manifold. I have ordered new gaskets which should be arriving today. Will do the pedal check once gaskets replaced. I'm comfortable with the injectors as I did not detach the injector rail completely - there was a cluster of wires that disappeared into the bulkhead that did not have a connector. I have also had trouble in the past with vacuum hoses, mainly the rubber right angles perishing. The latest one to go was on MAF ( I do get confused between MAF and MAS) its the box on the air intake pipe at the back of the rads. Therefore I'll check the rubbers at the back of the plenum for leaks. Have also noticed the switch over solenoid has been bodged a good 'un. Its been broken off as one securing lug is missing and a bit of plastic pipe from a WD40 can has been glued in place of one of the vacuum pipe couplings. Not sure if this would also contribute but is been there some time. Anyway, will report once the gaskets are changed but thanks again for your help.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2015, 11:22:50 »

Today's not your day... ::)

No ICV on DBW cars either ;)

Oh, god, these blummin' swanky doo-dah 2.6 / 3.2s - you'll be telling me they have a poncy drive by wire throttle, not a proper cable next!!!!  :D :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2015, 11:27:12 »

HI All,
Thanks for your comments. I have been head scratching a lot over this one and replaying what I pulled off when I dismantled the plenum and intake manifold. I noticed the rather flimsy rubber gaskets on the plastic intake manifold were flat and thought I could bodge it with some sealant and an extra tweak of the spanner. I suspect this has not worked and I now have numerous air leaks around that manifold. I have ordered new gaskets which should be arriving today. Will do the pedal check once gaskets replaced. I'm comfortable with the injectors as I did not detach the injector rail completely - there was a cluster of wires that disappeared into the bulkhead that did not have a connector. I have also had trouble in the past with vacuum hoses, mainly the rubber right angles perishing. The latest one to go was on MAF ( I do get confused between MAF and MAS) its the box on the air intake pipe at the back of the rads. Therefore I'll check the rubbers at the back of the plenum for leaks. Have also noticed the switch over solenoid has been bodged a good 'un. Its been broken off as one securing lug is missing and a bit of plastic pipe from a WD40 can has been glued in place of one of the vacuum pipe couplings. Not sure if this would also contribute but is been there some time. Anyway, will report once the gaskets are changed but thanks again for your help.

Well I said symptoms suggested an air leak - so at least I got that right - even if every component I listed as suspect isn't ON the car!!!  :D ;D :D

PS: My teeth have been cut on PFL V6s and BMW Diesels, never been up close and personal on the slower save-the-whales 2.6/3.2s  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2015, 11:39:53 »

HI All,
Serious bodgery has taken place if there isn't a plug attached to the rear engine lifting point... just behind the 246 head.

The box you mention is a vacuum tank, as you say, it's common for the rubber connections to perish/split.

It would be churlish not to replace that solenoid while you're at it... a two minute job with the plenum off :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.