Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Spanner warning light on after battery change  (Read 1773 times)

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Help! Spanner warning light on after battery change
« on: 26 January 2015, 10:42:17 »

Hi all

After the recent cold spell my battery was giving me so much problems so I changed it on Saturday. Prior to this, it it were dead or needed recharged, never got any warning lights.

Since the new battery has gone in, after about 5 minutes driving the warning light comes on - the one with the car and the spanner. Turn the engine off and on again, goes out but 5 mins later - back on!

Nowe, car is not in limp mode and feels like it is driving normally with no other warnings shown - its a 2000 Y 2.2 petrol and only has 65k on the clock - spookily, this has only happened after fitting the new battery.

any ideas?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Spanner warning light on after battery change
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2015, 11:51:35 »

Correct battery installed?  Same capacity etc..... :-\

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2015, 11:59:19 »

you need to get the car on a code reader  :y

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2015, 13:07:46 »

Hi- the old one was 64ah but I did some research and put in a slightly higher ah at 72 as I have Xenons, elec seats, heated seats etc so wanted that little extra just in case and with it being cold -

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2015, 14:44:51 »

Hi- the old one was 64ah but I did some research and put in a slightly higher ah at 72 as I have Xenons, elec seats, heated seats etc so wanted that little extra just in case and with it being cold -

Shouldn't be an issue mate ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2015, 15:23:22 »

Not that it helps you, but I did the same with no issues, upped the size of battery... how odd?

Isn't there something that you can 'zero' or 'buggerup' by trying to turn the ignition on with a battery off - cant remember any specifics, but have a feeling in the dark recesses of my mind there's something you shouldn't do with the battery disconnected - just wondering if you'd maybe done this without realising?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

SOPRANO999

• KIRKCALDY
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2015, 16:38:04 »

Not that it helps you, but I did the same with no issues, upped the size of battery... how odd?

Isn't there something that you can 'zero' or 'buggerup' by trying to turn the ignition on with a battery off - cant remember any specifics, but have a feeling in the dark recesses of my mind there's something you shouldn't do with the battery disconnected - just wondering if you'd maybe done this without realising?

Hiya - no I did a straight swap- last battery was really poor and had gone flat a couple of times. Made sure when I changed the battery that I had rubber gloves on and terminals connected correctly. It is very strange as I know the new upgraded battery shouldn't make a difference. The car only gets used at weekends and the only other time that light came on was about 2 months ago- restarted car and it went away.

I have an OBD2 reader which I understand wont be any use for a 2000 Y reg  Meggy! Wondering whether to just disconnect the new battery then reconnect it and see if it helps - could just be a coincidence? I had a Honda Accord prior which told you to start/switch off the car 3 times to see if that helped but cant see anything in the Omega manual.

Ill see if it cures over the next couple of days as Ill be using it

cheers - watch this space!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2015, 16:53:19 »

Hmmm...it's a stumper, that's for sure. All I can say is I hope that my run of bad luck means you get a run of good on your Omega  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2015, 17:47:43 »

Hiya - no I did a straight swap- last battery was really poor and had gone flat a couple of times. Made sure when I changed the battery that I had rubber gloves on and terminals connected correctly. It is very strange as I know the new upgraded battery shouldn't make a difference. The car only gets used at weekends and the only other time that light came on was about 2 months ago- restarted car and it went away.

I have an OBD2 reader which I understand wont be any use for a 2000 Y reg  Meggy! Wondering whether to just disconnect the new battery then reconnect it and see if it helps - could just be a coincidence? I had a Honda Accord prior which told you to start/switch off the car 3 times to see if that helped but cant see anything in the Omega manual.

Your understanding is incorrect ;)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2015, 21:25:05 »

Should work if yours is a 2.2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.