Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick mot question getting done just now  (Read 1068 times)

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
Quick mot question getting done just now
« on: 26 January 2015, 11:18:14 »

Well getting mot done just now but been told a failed on gator near side front wishbone so gonna cost 60 to fix does this seem about right me being useless thanks

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Quick mot question getting done just now
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2015, 13:06:50 »

Um... assuming they are referring to the 'boot' on the wishbone balljoint that's gone... you could get a whole wishbone for that! Appreciate that price is including labour (at least I hope it is). I am also assuming you're not a mechanically minded sort of person? As with anything car-related, the cost of parts isn't often where the real money is, it's in the labour and time involved in  doing the job. In theory you could replace just the rubber 'boot' for about a £5 note (exc. labour) but in real terms I think you'd be best drilling out and replacing the balljoint, which is about a tenner (again, exc. labour) most people on here tend to replace the whole wishbone when any one component fails (2x bushes or the balljoint)

Home mechanic would be able to do this in a couple of hours and as said, about a tenner. If I've read it right, can't think of anything else that could be described as a 'gaiter' ('gaitor' not 'gator' - a 'gator' is a bit like a crocodile, by the way  :y )
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2015, 13:34:00 »

thanks fort that got done anyway now got mot no advisories, and yes spelling is not my forte used to computer doing for me but such is life thanks oh and wishbones with poly bushes were replaced a short time ago by a member but guess gaiter ! just worn
« Last Edit: 26 January 2015, 13:35:52 by brian36 »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2015, 13:52:06 »

Yeah, they are rubber, and do go, sometimes with a perfectly serviceable balljoint inside - had it with a 6 month old wishbone once - it somehow got slashed (??) but managed to 'professionally bodge' a new gaiter on it, and it sat there perfectly happy for several years later. Glad you're sorted  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2015, 13:56:13 »

Yeah, they are rubber, and do go, sometimes with a perfectly serviceable balljoint inside - had it with a 6 month old wishbone once - it somehow got slashed (??) but managed to 'professionally bodge' a new gaiter on it, and it sat there perfectly happy for several years later. Glad you're sorted  :y

Is it damaged....or simply detached?

You may not need a new part.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2015, 14:45:49 »

The generally only have issues if disturbed or physically damaged.

The failure of the MOT for these little boots/gaiters is pretty new so it could have been like that a while but would have passed last time.

brian36

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
  • 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2015, 15:46:25 »

thanks to all, anyway just another wee niggle, now to sort others but anyway least I got a mot :y

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2015, 17:47:59 »

thanks to all, anyway just another wee niggle, now to sort others but anyway least I got a mot :y
Indeed  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.