Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Codes 129 & 132 EGR valve voltage low  (Read 3948 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Codes 129 & 132 EGR valve voltage low
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2019, 21:04:34 »

If you are going to have to replace the cat ( or both) you don’t have to limit yourself to a good quality ORIGINAL omega cat ,a suitable dimension original factory cat from any other car would do the same job or better.
But the cat section is rigid, and has to join the exhaust manifold to the exhaust mid section. It has to be the right shape and the right length.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2019, 21:44:05 »

If the matrix is broken which would seem to be the case here then I don't believe there is any way to fix it. The broken ceramic can move and obstruct the exhaust which causes a sudden power loss.

It's not so much the cost of the car as whether it's worth it to you to fix it. The Vauxhall cats for the 2.5/3.0 V6 are reputed to be much more robust that the 2.6/3.2 version. And better than the aftermarket cats they sell now. If you can find a good used original that might be the way to go. However the youngest is going to be 10 years old at least.

I'd never buy a secondhand cat. New only. God knows what you lot do to your cars to get such poor life out of the parts.

The £70 one I fitted was excellent and lasted about 5 years. I wish I had replaced the driver's side as well.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2019, 12:45:56 »

If the matrix is broken which would seem to be the case here then I don't believe there is any way to fix it. The broken ceramic can move and obstruct the exhaust which causes a sudden power loss.

It's not so much the cost of the car as whether it's worth it to you to fix it. The Vauxhall cats for the 2.5/3.0 V6 are reputed to be much more robust that the 2.6/3.2 version. And better than the aftermarket cats they sell now. If you can find a good used original that might be the way to go. However the youngest is going to be 10 years old at least.

I'd never buy a secondhand cat. New only. God knows what you lot do to your cars to get such poor life out of the parts.

The £70 one I fitted was excellent and lasted about 5 years. I wish I had replaced the driver's side as well.
The last cat section I bought for my 2.2 looked like an original Vx part, I left it on the car and it did more than one year's service; I reckon it was old stock being sold off. The earlier ones fitted all right, but the catalyst bits were smaller and I imagine contained much less platinum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2019, 16:01:25 »

If a new cat passes the MOT and then fails it the next year it says to me that there is another problem with the engine that is poisoning the cat. If the mixture is miles out for some reason a new cat might well work, but will be quickly rendered useless.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2019, 08:20:17 »

Went to Wells last night, 20 mile journey, EML was on half the while. I have blanked off the EGR. What else can I do?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2019, 08:29:04 »

Codes were 129 and 132, same as before.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2019, 09:15:31 »

I could change the EGR if you think it worth while.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2019, 12:14:00 »

Did you clean the EGR before you put it back on?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2019, 14:01:50 »

I merely removed the top half of the EGR to enable me to blank it off. I cleaned it as much as I could. Would it have helped to remove the entire valve from the plenum and cleaned it more thoroughly?

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2019, 15:32:43 »

I merely removed the top half of the EGR to enable me to blank it off. I cleaned it as much as I could. Would it have helped to remove the entire valve from the plenum and cleaned it more thoroughly?

Remove egr, and blank it off.clean egr, replace, Should solve problem.

AIUI the valve still has to respond to the signals that instruct it to open/close, albeit the valve is no longer open to the exhaust. Yours is likely coked up with carbon and is jammed or jamming. Cleaning it should allow the valve to open and close and that will clear the fault code and light. Because it's now blanked off it can't get coked up again. Can't remember what I used to clean mine out. Might have been carb clean or diesel. Not sure.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2019, 08:43:26 »

EML was on half the time last Tuesday. I swopped the EGR for a spare, already blanked off, last Friday, since then it has not come on in 100 miles. Thanks to all for advice.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.