Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedo and rev counter stopped working. Not the usual...  (Read 2928 times)

05omegav6

Trip counter, odometer and MID all working as normal and no ABS/TC lights. Both working as expected :-\ Any ideas :-\

TIA, Al :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo and rev counter stopped working. Not the usual...
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2012, 21:59:16 »

Obvious would be to try another panel, but I have a feeling it won't cure  :(
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2012, 22:47:57 »

That doesn't bode well :'(  Are you thinking ecu then :-\

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2012, 00:49:37 »

dose the speedo and rev move when you turn key they move abit up then back down.?
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2012, 22:32:43 »

seen this before , can't recall the component specific,  it's inside the panel....  think it's a signal amplifier off the top off my head.... 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2012, 09:07:31 »

seen this before , can't recall the component specific,  it's inside the panel....  think it's a signal amplifier off the top off my head.... 

Hmmm. If I open it up would it be an obvious item, and are they interchangeable? Could it have worked loose?Fault is intermittent, but mostly off. Worked perfectly for five straight hours last night.

Certain that it's not the ABS ecu as no lights, and the taxi meter, which is connected to the blue/red speed pulse wire, is still accurate.

Quick assumption, but if I swap the clocks with ones from a n other, will the speedo be accurate?  Thinking is thus:
unit from a v6 CDX, same size wheels, speedo gets a pulse from ABS ecu, which in turn gets its' signal from the wheel sensors, the rpm of which is directly related to the rolling radius :-\

Ta, Al :y

I could then perhaps send my original unit upto IRS to be refurbished and recalibrated ready for the MV6 wheels that I aquired last week, (cheers again Rob :y).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2012, 19:55:13 »

As long as same 'era' (pfl/mfl/fl) and same technology engine (desmond/v6/25td/22dti) and similar wheel size, :y
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2012, 22:53:41 »

As long as same 'era' (pfl/mfl/fl) and same technology engine (desmond/v6/25td/22dti) and similar wheel size, :y
Ta muchly  TB :y local breaker has/had an '03 2.6 CDX. Will go rummaging tomorrow :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2012, 15:04:52 »

Another job jobbed :y

Bridges had a 2.6 CD estate on a 51 plate. 20 mins and £20 later and it works a treat, even the handbrake light works, which it never used to ::) It even came with a free MID 8) which works, but needs the bulbs changing on :y

Anyone fancy a play with the old one for curiosity purposes  :-\ The measured mile that we use for meter testing was spot on inspite of no speedo, so the ABS ecu is obviously doing its thing.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2012, 00:26:26 »

Or not >:(

On private airfield place, Rev counter showing 3100ish, Speedo reading a ton and idiot box saying 85 FFS.  :-\

Seems to get worse the faster/further you go. :-\ Could this be an alternative ABS Ecu symptom? Rev counterr seems to be consistant with the idiot box.

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2012, 10:38:51 »

check the speed signal wire to the abs box. there may be a fault with the wires.
Solar charger fitted.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2012, 16:17:51 »

check the speed signal wire to the abs box. there may be a fault with the wires.
At risk of repeating myself... Speed Pulse signal is fine as the taxi meter that is connected to it is spot on ::)

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2012, 16:59:02 »

At risk of repeating myself... Speed Pulse signal is fine as the taxi meter that is connected to it is spot on ::)
was meaning the wire its self may work to the taxi meter but going wrong to the speedo. if the taxi speed signal is from the back of the dash display then the only other thing could be the earth wire to the dash but then every thing would be out to temp gauge rev etc.
Solar charger fitted.

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2012, 17:40:52 »

was meaning the wire its self may work to the taxi meter but going wrong to the speedo. if the taxi speed signal is from the back of the dash display then the only other thing could be the earth wire to the dash but then every thing would be out to temp gauge rev etc.
MID is also working as it should. Average speed is consistant with the sat nav and a trip is consistant with the odometer, its just that the speedo itself is over reading and the error increases the faster you go. Only seemed to happen after a thrash up Bury hill on the A29, so wonder if summat is getting hot and throwing the signal to the speedo :-\ As far as I can tell, there is only one speed output from the ABS ECU. Speedo is currently displaying a speed, which is more than the last one managed ::)

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2012, 18:55:03 »

I did read on vx site about alternator spike interfering with speedo signal dont know if that helps?
Solar charger fitted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.