Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Internet  (Read 4494 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2020, 03:26:14 »

Can you wait ten?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2020, 04:51:01 »

Keep calm & carry on.

The travel & travel insurance is dead for up to 12 months.

Had a good meeting today discussing good insurance alternatives & where car insurance is a legal must will start exploring this later today as a new product line.

Economic & health survivors grind out results & I've done both with 2008 being an economic nightmare & 2015 being a health one but I fight to survive hard & will always die hard when needs must. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2020, 18:49:04 »

One plus from this CV19 is employers might just like saving office space and trusting their staff to work from home going forward
My boss had to call me this morning, to check that I had no issues with the enforced WFH that has been implemented.  He was laughing, saying he was forced to by personnel as a box ticking exercise...

...after all, he knows I've been in my actual office about a dozen times since last June ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2020, 19:19:50 »

Why wouldnt people self isolating be watching films during the day? What else are average people confined to their houses going to do?  This being confined hasnt really happened in the UK yet.
A bit of Netflix or iPlayer will have little impact on the Internet, apart from maybe some of the niche ISPs with limited peering capacity, although even these ISPs already have to cope with evening peaks.  And currently, so far this week, daytime traffic levels are significantly lower than the evening peaks on a normal day (pre hysteria, non match days, non new Apple update, non Red Dead Redemption 2 update etc).

The school closures will have more of an impact, as kids make extensive use of gayTube, and apart for the odd viral vid, no real deterministic pattern, making caching a problem.

But the reality is, even if self isolation would cause the same peak levels as the evening peaks (probably not), the additional working from home traffic, probably would not be enough to exhaust the additional safety barrier capacity that most ISPs have.

The big web conferencing companies have presence on most continents, and are well connected to peering points. Same applies to video streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon, Sky, BT TV, youtube and so on. Same applies to the cloud provides from the likes of Microsoft (Azure, and Office365), Amazon (AWS and S3), Google etc. So that dramatically reduces strain on the intercontinental routes.

The bigger ISPs will have one or more of these services either at their chosen peering points, or even at the point their customers are terminated at.

BT last week (pre the current even heightened hysteria) publicly reported a new record of 17.5Tb/s across its ISP network due to the aforementioned Red Dead Redemption 2 update. Considering the sheer number of (several million) customers - its by far the biggest ISP in the UK - that 17Tb is quite low when you think about it. If you did the maths on that, dividing the bandwidth by the number of connected users (a figure I don't think is public), it averages out to each line being almost idle.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2020, 19:33:51 »

About that closing schools bit, wifey will be in every day and will have to forgo her Easter holidays, as will quite a few teachers. The children of NHS staff, police, delivery drivers, etc. are still coming in, and wifey and others will be making packed lunches for the free school meal kids to pick up.
Closed but not really.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2020, 19:57:44 »

Granddaughter was sent home this morning as she was coughing. She is a head of year at a school in Reading. Seems the head of PE has tested positive for it. Why can,t i say Wok ing ham ?

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2020, 20:04:03 »

Reading, a throwback to Gixer, IIRC.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2020, 20:07:01 »

Why can,t i say Wok ing ham ?
Because its really Reading.  Certain ex members used to like to think it was not Reading, but you know damn well it was Reading, don't you Mr Gixer ;D
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2020, 20:26:50 »

Are the schools doing  or planning doing distance learning .?

Some Spanish schools are. I can i agine a parent sitting in to make sure the child isnt distracted and to be able to help with the mountain of homework
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2020, 21:00:23 »

Because its really Reading.  Certain ex members used to like to think it was not Reading, but you know damn well it was Reading, don't you Mr Gixer ;D

He's Not in Brackers either ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2020, 09:32:55 »

He's Not in Brackers either ;D
Damn right, we don't allow any ol' riffraff in, except for (the now defunct) Tiffins ;D
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2020, 22:57:11 »

My brother today said that Netflix have reduced the picture quality.

Seems You Tube have too to stop Internet from breaking.

Who would have thought.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2020, 23:04:35 »

Who would have thought.

Isnt Gen from the IT Crowd looking after the internet in that black box with the flashing light on it? ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 March 2020, 11:38:40 »

Who would have thought.
Netflix are indeed in the process of reducing the bitrate of their streams, though likely to be several days before Europe significantly gets the lower bitrates.

This is just one of the many, many, many things ISPs and "Internet companies" can and will do.

As it happens, it will have no impact on larger ISPs, who will have the most popular content served from their own networks, or at their peering points.  It may help some of the smaller, niche ISPs.

But, FFS, stop being so gullible, and believing everything on Arsebook groups.  The Internet isn't going to break.  Well, not unless somebody simultaneously ploughed the bed of the Atlantic, the Med and the Indian Ocean to rip up all the cables.  Your sources are all talking utter 'dangle berries'.

Yes, ISPs, Cloud providers, transit providers and so on are all working to add in additional capacity, but thats more to retain resilience than "its all going to break"

>:(
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 March 2020, 12:21:53 »

Calm down, you will bust abloodvessel.

It was a reasonable question and based not on social media but my own view of what might happen when people carry out their activities from home 24/7.

I invested in an Amazon firestick to take advantage of my free trial of Amazon Prime. Despite my dad having “ decent  BT internet” i have noticed two things. First is a sometimes degradation of picture and the dreaded buffering. The streetcab is right outside the house.

I agree that the Internet  will cope
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.