Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas going up 35% and electric 25%  (Read 588 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Gas going up 35% and electric 25%
« on: 31 July 2008, 17:44:00 »

When will it stop? Some guy on the box this morning said the problem is that the price of gas is toxically linked to the price of oil!

I can see nothing but gloom in the future for Britain as those sort of increases are bound to be reflected hugely in the cost of virtually everything. Will pensioners get a 20% increase in pensions to be able to keep their heads above water and their feet warm enough? Will your company pay you a 6% increase next pay talks? I don't think so.

The electric company here in Spain wanted to raise prices 11% and can't unless the Spanish government approve it!

I have always thought that nuclear power is the answer despite the huge unresolved issues with the byproducts and security. Imagine my horror to find that "Darth Vader" had been to see the Saudis over funding them. Now there is an interesting proposition. They support Osama Bin Laden and will potentially have their finger on the switches. But it is alright as they buy loads of arms from us! What will there be to stop them raising the price of electric in the future by 30% a go to bolster their coffers as oil runs out?

It is a truly mad world but it is alright as we all have fast Internet, bilberries, McDonalds, cheap clothes and stuff from China and a thousand channels of wonderful entertaining TV. ;D

Methinks essential services ought to be nationalised and run efficiently now people know what is expected. The Russians aren't daft they have just done exactly that.

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: Gas going up 35% and electric 25%
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2008, 17:50:15 »

Rip Off Britain.

Similar but different example .

Auto Express today reviewing the new Dodge Challenger 6.1SRT

$40000 in USA, would cost around $4000 to import. Brand new price Bought in USA and Imported to UK about £25,000.

Left hand drive version of same car available in selected Dodge UK garages. Price £49,995.

Rip Off Britain.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2008, 17:50:59 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2008, 18:50:51 »

Apparently the wholesale price of gas has actually dropped quite a bit in recent weeks,but the energy companies say they are passing on the price rises from a few months ago.
Apparently we dont have enough storage capacity to store the gas in this country otherwise we could be self sufficient.
we sell it cheap to other countries in the summer and then buy expensive european gas in the winter.
European gas is so expensive because it is linked to the orice of oil. Apparently it doesnt need to be it is just a tradition in the gas industry.
If the government seriously wants to help U.K. consumers why cant it pressurise or even subsidise the building of more storage capacity ,so that this country can use its own gas .?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2008, 18:57:17 »

Government has been talking about a "windfall tax" on the energy industries. Surely this is a good stick to beat them with. Here are our objectives - invest to meet them or get taxed. After all, everyone else's job seems to revolve around government targets these days.

We have lost public control of all of our infrastructure to mostly foreign investors. They won't care if the lights go out or the UK becomes uncompetitive due to the price of energy. They will run their business to be profitable now at the expense of future energy security in the absence of any controls.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2008, 18:59:57 »

When will it stop? Some guy on the box this morning said the problem is that the price of gas is toxically linked to the price of oil!

I can see nothing but gloom in the future for Britain as those sort of increases are bound to be reflected hugely in the cost of virtually everything. Will pensioners get a 20% increase in pensions to be able to keep their heads above water and their feet warm enough? Will your company pay you a 6% increase next pay talks? I don't think so.

The electric company here in Spain wanted to raise prices 11% and can't unless the Spanish government approve it!

I have always thought that nuclear power is the answer despite the huge unresolved issues with the byproducts and security. Imagine my horror to find that "Darth Vader" had been to see the Saudis over funding them. Now there is an interesting proposition. They support Osama Bin Laden and will potentially have their finger on the switches. But it is alright as they buy loads of arms from us! What will there be to stop them raising the price of electric in the future by 30% a go to bolster their coffers as oil runs out?

It is a truly mad world but it is alright as we all have fast Internet, bilberries, McDonalds, cheap clothes and stuff from China and a thousand channels of wonderful entertaining TV. ;D

Methinks essential services ought to be nationalised and run efficiently now people know what is expected. The Russians aren't daft they have just done exactly that.

varche

Well said Varche!! I also live in Mallorca (or at least I am here hiding away!)  8-) I agree that new nuclear power stations should have been implemented years ago and kept going. What really gets up my nose is these greenies think that electricity comes from outer space! Electric cars are the least efficient of all the modes of transport. As you probably have read on other threads I work in the oil business worldwide. I have heard that the price of a barrel of oil will go to $200 and beyond  :'( I hope not!!
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

stuart30

« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2008, 19:16:57 »

I do feel extremely sorry for the poor sods who have no choice but too bend over and let the government (s) shaft them right up too the day they die.

If its not people being able too retire its people not being able too afford the spiraling bills....people not being able to get on the property ladder and the list just goes on and on.

I count myself as incredibly lucky having a second home overseas....the Philippines is classed as a 3rd world country (hmmm yeah right lol.)....i wonder how long before this country will be classed the same. :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.