Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water bills to go up!  (Read 834 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Water bills to go up!
« on: 11 August 2008, 15:22:48 »

Why? Surely Ofwat ought to do like Oftel did with the phone companies (well BT) and say rises at LESS than RPI.

I cannot get my head around why Ofwat or the government would allow increases above inflation. If they need to invest in pipelines and so on then that needs to come out of turnover or shareholders profit or increased efficiency. How hard can it be to carry some (free) water from( free) reservoirs and to carry away and treat the waste in (free) pipes ?

Bad idea selling off the utilities in the long run. Electric, water and gas are going to bite hard in the coming years.

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

FRE07962128

Re: Water bills to go up!
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2008, 16:02:04 »

Why? Surely Ofwat ought to do like Oftel did with the phone companies (well BT) and say rises at LESS than RPI.

I cannot get my head around why Ofwat or the government would allow increases above inflation. If they need to invest in pipelines and so on then that needs to come out of turnover or shareholders profit or increased efficiency. How hard can it be to carry some (free) water from( free) reservoirs and to carry away and treat the waste in (free) pipes ?

Bad idea selling off the utilities in the long run. Electric, water and gas are going to bite hard in the coming years.

varche

But the water has to be gathered in resorviours and we need more of them; the water requires treatment, and then it has to be pumped out to all of us.  Many mains date from Victorian times so urgently require replacement, and to make matters worse the sewerage system is also falling apart in our great cities due to age and needs rebuilding. :(

All this will cost billions of pounds, and if we want our water supplies to continue (especially when the climate is warming up) then we must pay our contribution to keep it all going forward with new investment. ;)  Nothing is "free" exactly, well apart from going to your local lake and drinking the water from that........no thanks!!! :o :o

However, I do agree that the shareholders should be replaced by good old public investment, being back under our control! :y :y
« Last Edit: 11 August 2008, 16:04:30 by FRE07962128 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2008, 17:01:27 »

varche - you are forgetting that these companies need to put up prices to pay for the fines that ofwat keep imposing on them for poor customer service and not meeting leak targets....
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2008, 18:40:24 »

;D ;D ;D

varche

PS nobody cares really so long as the taps keep working and pay matches inflation.

PPS I think it is absolutely laughable that the water companies(sorry monopoly) trot out all this c$£p about infrastructure needs improving, its going to cost a lot blah blah. They should have thought about that at privatisation and done something before now. Pro rata water is cheaper in Med countries than it is in Britain and yet it barely ever seems to rain. The difference is that people in hotter countries treat it with more regard because it is a scarce commodity. How many Brits wash clean their teeth and leave the tap running the whole time?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2008, 19:38:13 »

varche - you are forgetting that these companies need to put up prices to pay for the fines that ofwat keep imposing on them for poor customer service and not meeting leak targets....

I emailed Ofidiot and asked for my share of the fine as I pay a water bill! They won't reimburse me >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2008, 22:00:02 »

I emailed Ofidiot and asked for my share of the fine as I pay a water bill! They won't reimburse me >:(
Of course they won't, and precisely why they will rubber stamp these rises.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2008, 23:17:53 »

Of course they won't, and precisely why they will rubber stamp these rises.

Same as all quangos - they forget the fines come from our pockets - the customers!

Just noticed my spellng of ofwat :-[

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2008, 23:24:35 »

varche

But the water has to be gathered in resorviours and we need more of them; the water requires treatment, and then it has to be pumped out to all of us.  Many mains date from Victorian times so urgently require replacement, and to make matters worse the sewerage system is also falling apart in our great cities due to age and needs rebuilding. :(

All this will cost billions of pounds, and if we want our water supplies to continue (especially when the climate is warming up) then we must pay our contribution to keep it all going forward with new investment. ;)  Nothing is "free" exactly, well apart from going to your local lake and drinking the water from that........no thanks!!! :o :o

However, I do agree that the shareholders should be replaced by good old public investment, being back under our control! :y :y

Allegedly ;)
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

FRE07962128

« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2008, 01:16:35 »

varche

Allegedly ;)

It is warming up, that is not disputed :y

But is it really mankinds activity that is causing it is the BIG question! :-/ :-/ ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2008, 06:53:07 »

varche

Allegedly ;)

But is it really mankinds activity that is causing it is the BIG question! :-/ :-/ ;)
Exactly, a few centuries ago, man use to inhabit Greenland before it froze...
Grumpy old man

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2008, 08:55:35 »

varche

Allegedly ;)

Exactly, a few centuries ago, man use to inhabit Greenland before it froze...

and with all this melting ice there should be plenty of water in the air i don't think we'll be short of rain...
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.