Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WIN 98 hard disk FAT32 or NTFS  (Read 766 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
WIN 98 hard disk FAT32 or NTFS
« on: 08 September 2008, 17:19:13 »

Only OAP's will know the answer to this Q. !!!

I am trying to fit a second 20 Gig hard drive into a PC running WIN98 (not SE)The first drive is FAT32. The second is NTFS. Is that why it won't "see it"? Do I need to reformat in the other PC ?

Is it possible that as it is fairly old (Celeron 433) that the 40Gig already in is the most it can take?

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: WIN 98 hard disk FAT32 or NTFS
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2008, 17:20:06 »

Windows 98 cannot read NTFS partitions.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2008, 17:48:13 »

Only NT based systems (Windows NT, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows Server) can read NTFS.

Withing the NTFS spec, there are different versions, so earlier NT systems cannot read later NTFS versions
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2008, 18:14:15 »

You need to put it on a machine with a newer O/S, Go into the management and delete all partiotions.

Then slave it back on win98 and prepare/format the hard drive.  :y

Unless of course you can delete the partition under Win98... Not done it for ages and cant remember.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2008, 18:23:34 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2008, 18:19:11 »

As posted Win98 cannot handle NTFS partitions..

If you are going to use the disk you need to

* Delete the Partition table , reboot the system

* Re-partition again

Theoritically FAT32 can handle volumes up to 127.53 GB..But thats dependant on bios and mobo..(bios upgrade will not solve mostly)

"Another solution to size barriers for a system that cannot have its BIOS upgraded is the purchase and installation of an upgraded hard disk controller card. Such a card completely replaces the on-board IDE/ATA controller hardware of your system, and in doing so, eliminates any BIOS size restrictions associated with the controller in your system."

Also add on SCSI coltrollers can handle really huge disks..

But in all cases you are limited to 127 GB with FAT32 per volume..

Bandit127

« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2008, 18:25:19 »

I've had success with partition management software on Win98 before.

There's a freeware one here.
Cute Partition Manager
I've not tried this one but it may do the job.

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2008, 20:42:03 »

Should be able to use fdisk on the '98 machine to delete the ntfs partion and create a new fat32 one. Type 'fdisk' in a command prompt window and I think it's option 5 to change the physical device to the spare one, then option 4 to delete non recognised partitions? (it's been a long time)

You should be able to create a new primary partition and then format it back in windows

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2008, 20:48:27 »

Should be able to use fdisk on the '98 machine to delete the ntfs partion and create a new fat32 one. Type 'fdisk' in a command prompt window and I think it's option 5 to change the physical device to the spare one, then option 4 to delete non recognised partitions? (it's been a long time)

You should be able to create a new primary partition and then format it back in windows
Depends on the partition layout - if its an NTFS logical drive in an extended partition, fdisk wouldn't delete it...
Grumpy old man

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2008, 21:10:16 »

Depends on the partition layout - if its an NTFS logical drive in an extended partition, fdisk wouldn't delete it...

Ah yes I remember it being funny about something like that. Could you not then just delete the extended partition containing the LD?
The sad thing is I almost contemplated digging out the 98 machine I know I've got in the atic to start playing with fdisk  :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2008, 21:14:30 »

Ah yes I remember it being funny about something like that. Could you not then just delete the extended partition containing the LD?
The sad thing is I almost contemplated digging out the 98 machine I know I've got in the atic to start playing with fdisk  :-[
No, fdisk couldn't get around that issue
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2008, 21:26:43 »

Sorry guys

James gave the answer, thanks. Formatted it on the more modern 30 year old machine running XP and copied files(well games) and installed it. Works a treat. I should have done a posting straight away.

Has anyone got a little fan for the socket 478 celeron processor? It is very slow and very noisy after a clean and lube. It is still goddam hot here. Pay by paypal or cheque!

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2008, 22:05:27 »

Sorry guys

James gave the answer, thanks. Formatted it on the more modern 30 year old machine running XP and copied files(well games) and installed it. Works a treat. I should have done a posting straight away.

Has anyone got a little fan for the socket 478 celeron processor? It is very slow and very noisy after a clean and lube. It is still goddam hot here. Pay by paypal or cheque!

varche

not necessary an original fan..you can use a bigger,faster 12 V fan with a good flow design ..(I accept I like those kind of jobs with some
plastics and hot silicone)

and by the way I solved neighbours PC crashing problem with a similiar solution..
« Last Edit: 09 September 2008, 22:06:57 by cem_devecioglu »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2008, 10:23:01 »

No, fdisk couldn't get around that issue

I normally resort to /sbin/fdisk to resolve that one.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.