Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted Arial cable from blue connector in footwell backwards  (Read 2138 times)

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile

Could admin move please

I'm after a short length of arial cable with the blue connector that is located in driver kick panel going to back of car. I want to splice to another arial cable that is attached to an external arial but I dont want to damage the existing wiring as not sure it will give better radio reception or not.

My car is a 2002 CD saloon (not sure if this makes a difference)

Thanks

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Arial cable from blue connector in footwell backwards
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2018, 16:16:44 »

Why?, the Saloon rear screen aerial does a good enough job, assuming its working correctly?

Easiest way is to attach the external aerial into to the back of the rear Aerial Amp near the screen, if its for normal FM the whip needs to be for that Band, if per chance its for DAB, then forgot that as the Amp will not cover the DAB Band coreectly so you need to by pass the Amp.

To answer your other question, you should need to splice anything, theres an Aerial Connector at the Footwell as well as the rear of the Amp Loom, just a question of matching the Connector and correct coax cable if your extending it.

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2018, 17:00:27 »

Thats what I am intending to do splice at the footwell.

I have a non standard double din stero that is packed with wires and just about pushes basck into the space otherwise I would run the new cable up to the back of the stereo.

The signal is okay but cuts out if I am am travelling around outside of town and it is only for FM so am looking for a way of keeping the original aerial coax and connector intact and just splicing the new cable into another blue connector.

Have no idea if this will work hence the spare connector wanted as a test piece. I had the rear shelf off and couldnt see anywhere that a standard aerial connector would attach to the amp near the screen

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2018, 18:16:37 »

I have a non standard double din stero that is packed with wires and just about pushes basck into the space otherwise I would run the new cable up to the back of the stereo.

The signal is okay but cuts out if I am am travelling around outside of town and it is only for FM so am looking for a way of keeping the original aerial coax and connector intact and just splicing the new cable into another blue connector.

Have no idea if this will work hence the spare connector wanted as a test piece. I had the rear shelf off and couldnt see anywhere that a standard aerial connector would attach to the amp near the screen
Take the plastic cage out and butcher the back of it... Loads of room behind it ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2018, 02:11:58 »

Sorry, what is your exact terminology of the word "splicing" as said in my previous post the existing loom has several connector points, back of HU to Footwell, footwell to rear screen Amp and so on, so plug into that with the correct connector and cable, depending on what it is your trying to do and why? maybe Im missing something here.

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2018, 19:42:31 »

Sorry may not be making it clear

The existing blue connector in the footwell is a non standard aerial connector. I now have a standard male aerial connector which goes to the new external aerial.

I don't want to damage the existing coax or connectors as I may not get better reception with the new aerial so I want to get another blue connector and keep a short length of existing wiring from it and then splice a standard female connector to it which will connect with the external aerial.

I will then have two coax cables with ends that will connect into the existing blue connector and can choose which one works best

Hope this make sense. As I said I have no idea if it will work just looking for the easiest solution that doesn't involve damaging something that currently works in the hope of getting something better

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2018, 13:56:56 »

Sorry may not be making it clear

The existing blue connector in the footwell is a non standard aerial connector. I now have a standard male aerial connector which goes to the new external aerial.

I don't want to damage the existing coax or connectors as I may not get better reception with the new aerial so I want to get another blue connector and keep a short length of existing wiring from it and then splice a standard female connector to it which will connect with the external aerial.

I will then have two coax cables with ends that will connect into the existing blue connector and can choose which one works best

Hope this make sense. As I said I have no idea if it will work just looking for the easiest solution that doesn't involve damaging something that currently works in the hope of getting something better
See youve used that word Splice again, what year is the Car, from memory the Blue connector is for the GSM and SatNav, the Radio is on a Grey connector  :-\ having said that think they may have combined all three into a multi Three way one on the late Face Lifts, but I cant remember the colour.  :-\

End of the Day it will be a type of Connector inside a Farkra Housing Plug, so all you need to do is pull the Connector from the Housing then get a one piece adapter to suit whats there and whats on your Aftermarket Aerial so no splicing involed and can be put back to normal if needed.  :y

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2018, 14:34:39 »

Thanks Zirk

That is it exactly, its a Blue 3 way Fakra type connector with a gret aerial coax and a blacl wire that went to the old roof aerial but being a CD version I dont think the black was ever live.

THnaks for all the advice and sticking with me  :y

Cheers

Dave

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2018, 14:37:01 »

Thanks Zirk

That is it exactly, its a Blue 3 way Fakra type connector with a gret aerial coax and a blacl wire that went to the old roof aerial but being a CD version I dont think the black was ever live.

THnaks for all the advice and sticking with me  :y

Cheers

Dave

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2018, 15:02:04 »

Your welcome, as for the cables fitted being live or not, after around 2001 they started fitting most Looms in full, whether they were used or not.  ;)

Also just to confirm your HU Radio Coax cable will be the thicker of the three cables, possibly Grey on Colour.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.