Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reversing sensors  (Read 2154 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
reversing sensors
« on: 22 May 2007, 17:33:38 »

Hi all...has anybody had any good or bad experiences with after market reversing sensors? Against my better judgement let a female member of the family drive car yesterday and we now have a broken rear light!!!!silly me ahh..anyway thought it would be easier to get some reversing sensors than take out legal action so have been on fleabay and there are more than a sweet shop..so any advise on what works and what doesn,t would be helpfull..thank in advance

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: reversing sensors
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2007, 18:20:02 »

There's a 'How to' in the Maintenance Guides for DIY fitting.
I like red cars

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2007, 18:47:53 »

I used a set of Cobra ones on my last Vectra, and I've got another set going on my Elite.  I wouldn't recommend using anything but...never had any problems with them, 3 wire connection and self set up for the final solid tone of 1 foot away from a solid object.

Stay clear of the JML cheap and cheerful ones, really not worth it (and they look pants).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2007, 20:55:32 »

I put some cheapies on the MV6 - fortunately it was an 8 sensor one (4f, 4r, though only fitted rears), as one of my sensors failed after a week or so, so replaced with spare.  Work reasonably well, though possibly not quite as good as expensive units...
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2007, 21:01:54 »

Thanks guys..will check out the "how to guide "..also accept that the cheapies will be pants...will see what ebay has to offer on cobra style..thanks again

miggy

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2007, 22:55:26 »

Had a set of "SPY" ones from ebay over a year ago, had no probs and are very sensative, brilliant, only cost £25.00 but work well, the black colour matched very well to my miggy.

:y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2007, 23:58:35 »

Hi all...has anybody had any good or bad experiences with after market reversing sensors? Against my better judgement let a female member of the family drive car yesterday and we now have a broken rear light!!!!silly me ahh..anyway thought it would be easier to get some reversing sensors than take out legal action so have been on fleabay and there are more than a sweet shop..so any advise on what works and what doesn,t would be helpfull..thank in advance

???? :-? Doesn't your car have a mirror on each side & one stuck to inside of the front screen?  ::) I always think they look bloody 'orrible! I had to laugh WITH the neighbour opposite me, he has 'em fitted to the back of his Vovlo and he's not put a lovely scrape on the back/side of his rear bumper against his garden wall. :o  :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 07:14:14 »

???? :-? Doesn't your car have a mirror on each side & one stuck to inside of the front screen?  ::) I always think they look bloody 'orrible! I had to laugh WITH the neighbour opposite me, he has 'em fitted to the back of his Vovlo and he's not put a lovely scrape on the back/side of his rear bumper against his garden wall. :o  :y

They are an aid to parking, of course we all have a set of mirrors and can turn our heads, but, anything below boot level is invisible, a child perhaps?
I like red cars

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2007, 22:20:53 »

It was me who wrote the how-to, and while I agree that they're totally unnecessary, it just allows you to be a little more lazy when parking. I don't have any on my BMW and don't intend fitting them either as I'm not drilling holes in the bumper on that, so I certainly don't need them to park in tight spaces, but they're so damn cheap these days I thought "why not?"

Mine work fine BTW. They're not quite as progressive in their warning as the factory fitted ones on my dad's 330Ci but they do the job just fine. I don't "trust" them the way some people do, I just use them to confirm how close I think I am while still making my own judgement while reversing.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2007, 22:37:19 »

on my first miggy I fitted one of the Taurus systems - about £70 if I remember rightly - they use a metal tape that you stick to the inside of the bumper, this generates a magnetic field and detects obstacles ... worked pretty well and there's no need to keep the sensors clean unlike on the cheaper ones. Or drill any holes in the bumper. On the downside however it only works when the car is moving relative to a fixed object. Once you've stopped, the Vx park pilot sensor will keep beeping until you take it out of reverse - the Taurus one won't.

It's also pretty sensitive - once fitted if you put the car in reverse (with the engine off) so that the sensor is live - and wave your hand behind the bumper, that will trigger it ...

Didn't fit one on the second miggy (meant to though  ::)) and the current one's got the Vx park pilot fitted which is good enough  :)
« Last Edit: 24 May 2007, 22:37:50 by sounds2k »

hol666

• Lechlade, Gloucestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2007, 20:32:42 »

thats what a towbar is for isn't it?  ;)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2007, 07:38:21 »

Even if you've got them fitted, it doesn't stop muppets reversing into you on car parks. >:(
« Last Edit: 26 May 2007, 07:38:41 by Auto_Addict »
I like red cars

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2007, 14:51:18 »

i bought a set from ebay about a year ago, cost me about £35 and came with a small digital display that tells me in CM's how far away i am from the object.

mine is pretty accurate, i had to drill the bumper and paint them, but they look factory fitted and they are a brilliant AID to parking, especially in tight spaces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.