Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm fault soon after locking: Omega 2.6 2001  (Read 2006 times)

Ommie

• London
    • View Profile
Alarm fault soon after locking: Omega 2.6 2001
« on: 17 May 2007, 17:57:24 »

Dear experts,

I have a 2001 Omega 2.6 V6 CDX (Y Reg) Auto. Fantastic car - as you well know.  8-)

I seem to have developed an alarm fault over the past 24 hours.  :'(

Apart from the alarm refusing to activate the ONCE, months ago, never had a problem before. Now, when I park the car after a journey and 'blip' my central locking (which arms the alarm) very soon afterwards (about 5-10 mins) the alarm goes off. If I do not cancel it with the = button on my key fob, it will keep reactivating the alarm virtuously continuously - I can tell this as there is a very slight pause between alarm cycles, but it is as good as continuous.

To stop this from continuing, I have to press the cancel = button again and again until it stops setting off the alarm. E.g. Alarm. I cancel. Immediate alarm again. Cancel. Same again, up to half a dozen times or a little more, and then it's fine. Once I've done this and it has stopped, I can even lock and unlock the car (and boot separately) without incident, but the next time I drive off and park, same problem.

I have tried different variables: e.g. locking it with the key (this still seems to arm the alarm), turning off the internal alarm from the dash, but still it goes berserk shortly after parking.

I should point out this has only happened the past 24 hours! However, it seems to be here to stay!

I spoke with my local garage chap (trusted friend of the family and Omega aficionados) who put me in touch with his alarm chap - but he said it would be best to take it to Vauxhall with my card that has all the numbers on and get their computer to read the diagnostics. I fear expense - when the words 'main' and 'dealer' are used in the same sentence.

Therefore, has anybody had this problem, any advice for s.o who is not very technical (!), or / and am I better off going to my local Vauxhall dealer and preparing a large cheque?!!

Many thanks,

Jeremy.

Jeremy Hanshaw

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm fault soon after locking: Omega 2.6 2001
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2007, 18:02:30 »

A tech2 will read the alarm codes. Depending on the ECU fitted, can read without the PIN.

Bonnet switch is a common problem - do a search here for how to adjust :)
Grumpy old man

michael_de

• dumbartonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2007, 20:30:56 »

iv'e replaced and adjusted loads of bonnet ajar switches on vauxhalls seems like a very good place to start , if you press the lock button twice for deadlocks - are they all working ok

Ommie

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 06:47:42 »

Dear Experts,

Many thanks for the advice - that's great.  :y

I will indeed perform a search on this site regarding the bonnet adjustment and have a crack. Concerning the deadlocks, I wonder if you could clarify what you mean.

Many thanks.

Jeremy.

Ommie

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2007, 07:23:17 »

Me again!  :o

Have searched for info on 'bonnet switch', 'bonnet ajar' and looked at every page on the electrical forum also, however could not find anything except your replies to me. I wonder if you have a link to the info to hand?...

Thanks again,

J.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2007, 07:35:07 »

Me again!  :o

Have searched for info on 'bonnet switch', 'bonnet ajar' and looked at every page on the electrical forum also, however could not find anything except your replies to me. I wonder if you have a link to the info to hand?...

Thanks again,

J.  :y

The bonnet switch often gets bent over slightly when you're working under the bonnet & so the bonnet doesn't quite hit the switch properly when you close it. Make sure that the bracket isn't bent & the switch is fully vertical. As a test you can rule the switch out by unpluging the connection underneath it - the switch is normally open, closeing the bonnet closes the contacts, but as the bonnet is large it only takes a small amount of flex eg due to heat for the bonnet to lift off the switch a little.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2007, 07:37:20 »

Concerning the deadlocks, I wonder if you could clarify what you mean.

Many thanks.

Jeremy.

Press the 'close' on the key and all doors & boot lock, press it again within 10secs and you should hear all the locks lock again - ie dead locked. If a window is open you can not just lift the button to unlock the door.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2007, 08:12:06 »

Bonnet sensor looks like this:-

I like red cars

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2007, 12:36:17 »

Mine's been playing up the same way but disconnecting the bonnet switch didn't help. Disabling the internal sensors using the button on the dash does, however, so I guess it's the movement or vibration sensor on mine.

As yours seems unaffected by this, try disconnecting the bonnet switch, and have a look at each of the pin switches on the doors and boot. Take each one out and make sure they are clean and lubricated and also that the pin is striking the correct part of the door. I put some small felt pads at the striking point of each of mine to make sure they are being pressed well. I found a loose boot switch on mine but it didn't help.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ommie

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2007, 08:45:25 »

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the advice.

Turns out, after I finally plucked up the courage to take the car to Vauxhall, that it was the alarm siren that had failed. They replaced the part, and it came to a not-as-bad-as-I-had-feared £140.00.

So my neighbours have peace and quiet now!

Many thanks for the assistance and pics! What a service!!!

Yours in debt,  :y

Jeremy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.