Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lost key  (Read 4925 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: lost key
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2018, 21:32:40 »

Carefully drill it or swap the column out...

Of the top of my head, it's only held in by 2/4 bolts and a clamp to the steering box... All inside the car and top bolts readily accessed from behind the cluster.

Be easier to drill neatly on a bench/vice

Are the bolts not shear headed bolts?  :-\

The ones that hold the lock assembly to the column, or that attach the column to the car?

Yes and no in that order.

If working on the bench, I weld another bolt to the shear bolt and undo the assembly with a normal spanner.

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • 3.0 omega elite fl / 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2018, 10:37:22 »

OK drilled the barrel out,, so I just need a new lock set now and new wiring plug that fits on the end of the ignition barrel. Anybody got one
Thankyou

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2018, 11:16:28 »

If working on the bench, I weld another bolt to the shear bolt and undo the assembly with a normal spanner.

Did this recently on the Corsa column in the kit car (ditching the steering lock, barrel etc, though that does mean I need an electronic immobiliser for the IVA), I just dremmelled a slot into the head of the shear bolt and unscrewed it with an impact screwdriver; it wasn't all that tight..

..the welder was in the other garage and I CBA to carry the column down there  ;D

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2018, 12:02:45 »

Carefully drill it or swap the column out...

Of the top of my head, it's only held in by 2/4 bolts and a clamp to the steering box... All inside the car and top bolts readily accessed from behind the cluster.

Be easier to drill neatly on a bench/vice
right now i have removed the old barrel i need to temporarily make the car mobile so i can move it . but i broke the ignition switch any idea how to hot wire it
thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2018, 18:40:23 »

Are you for real?  ;D

Anyone reading this is going to assume that you have nicked the car and that the broken key is a mere ruse.

If you're working on them professionally, you should be able to work it out.  :-X
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 18:45:10 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2018, 18:56:38 »

Of course if you had actually bothered to follow the advice and remove the column, you would have stripped it down before you removed it ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2018, 19:43:04 »

;D ;D yes quite correct

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2018, 16:12:00 »

so does anybody know what wires i need to connect up on the ignition plug . i have tried a live from the ignition to the black and red starter wire  but  it still will not turn the engine over . i do have ignition lights but no power to the starter . i need to move my car before i purchase a new ignition plug and key set .
thankyou

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2018, 16:24:48 »

Posting about "hot wiring"  on car forums or any forum for that matter,  is an absolute No no  IMO . . as you see from previous posts on this thread .

So don't think you will get much response on this .  :o :o

Can only suggest that you try a flat bladed screwdriver in to the broken  plastic ignition switch slot, where the barrel "drive" would usually turn it . But that depends how "broken " it is .  :-\
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 16:26:29 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2018, 16:52:11 »

thanks ,, that's the part i'm trying to find as it got broken when removing the old ignition barrel all that's left is the female part of the plug that the  spades plugs into  :o :o

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 June 2018, 18:38:43 »

thanks ,, that's the part i'm trying to find as it got broken when removing the old ignition barrel all that's left is the female part of the plug that the  spades plugs into :o :o

IF   ignition switch ( the plastic bit with a "slot" one side & wiring going into the other side , is still one piece

Use flat screwdriver blade in the slot (female part ) to operate this . . . should be 3 positions . . . Position  . 2 being ignition & therefore dash board warning lights on . . position 3 being turning starter motor. the "slot" may well be a square drive , not sure  :-\

If you can get dash lights on & then starter turning  . .you need to hold the broken key with its chip near the immobilisor ring  in order for it to start & run .

This of course is just a temporary measure to get your car started & moved until you can aquire the new parts to repair the lock & switch properly

Can't be of much more help than that 
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 18:48:16 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2018, 19:00:01 »

thanks ,, that's the part i'm trying to find as it got broken when removing the old ignition barrel all that's left is the female part of the plug that the  spades plugs into :o :o

IF   ignition switch ( the plastic bit with a "slot" one side & wiring going into the other side , is still one piece

Use flat screwdriver blade in the slot (female part ) to operate this . . . should be 3 positions . . . Position  . 2 being ignition & therefore dash board warning lights on . . position 3 being turning starter motor. the "slot" may well be a square drive , not sure  :-\

If you can get dash lights on & then starter turning  . .you need to hold the broken key with its chip near the immobilisor ring  in order for it to start & run .

This of course is just a temporary measure to get your car started & moved until you can aquire the new parts to repair the lock & switch properly

Can't be of much more help than that

In hindsight  . . .I  maybe should have PM'd you that last post rather than on open show   . . . apologies admin  :-[ :-[

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2018, 19:12:33 »

I don't see a problem,
without the original key's transponder chip , "hot wiring" an omega will let you listen to the radio etc
which might be hard to hear over the alarm going off
you won't be driving anywhere  ;D

swordfish

• Intermediate Member
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 June 2018, 13:05:14 »

ok acquired a new ignition switch from an astra and  fitted. taped the key phob with chip to the under side of the immobiliser transponder   and it started no problem on off several times . now its just suddenly cut out and will not start .  ??? ???  is there somthing i haven't done correctly with the chip / transducer ??
thanks 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.