Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OBD2 compliance  (Read 1869 times)

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
OBD2 compliance
« on: 24 September 2006, 21:14:54 »

Can anyone ot there tell me whether the 2.2 TDI is OBD 2 compliant as I am thinking of buying one of these http://www.rwmotortec.com/product.asp?productid=192 as we now have a newer diesel as well and waiting weeks for diagnostic work is not ideal?

Thanks,

Steve

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: OBD2 compliance
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2006, 22:02:36 »

If it is OBDII compliant - I believe it is, but don't know for certain - there may be cheaper options. Generic OBDII engine scanners are usually much cheaper. If you have a laptop, check out www.scantool.net (ELM interface available from Ebay cheap).  Also, be aware there are different protocols to OBDII - some, such as CAN, are completely different. Whatever, the scanner need to support the protocol.
Grumpy old man

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2006, 22:09:56 »

I like the thought of one unit though rather than tramping about with the laptop. There are cheaper units but I need to confirm they will will work first.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2006, 22:17:12 »

I like the thought of one unit though rather than tramping about with the laptop. There are cheaper units but I need to confirm they will will work first.
Be aware that most generic OBDII scanners will only read the engine diagnostics. The ESP system on the Focus may not be classed as an Engine system (more likely ABS/TC), so still not be able to diagnose....
Grumpy old man

JONNYWAKEY

• Bilsthorpe Nottinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2006, 18:56:13 »

Guys

Try the following website, just bought a Code Scout OBDII/CAN code reader for £120.

Great piece of kit to have!

WWW.Gendan.co.uk

Also they sell the Vauxhall PC based diagnostic software & leads for £124

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2006, 19:06:34 »

I think their stuff uses standard ELM interface, cheaper elsewhere. If you have ELM interface, see www.scantool.net for decent software. All these generic ones tend to only do engine though...
Grumpy old man

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2006, 23:02:42 »

Thanks for the feedback, confirmation back that the Focus TC/ABS system is a dealer fix. I like the idea of the CCR Super as it is small enough to cart about in the car without having to worry about the laptop as well, plus there's no code book required as it is the same type of readout as Tech 2. Really tempted to go buy while I've got the cash and if I do I'll feedback on the results as I know I still have a fault code lurking from Saturday morning before I changed the glowplugs.

Steve

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2006, 23:22:36 »

Thanks for the feedback, confirmation back that the Focus TC/ABS system is a dealer fix. I like the idea of the CCR Super as it is small enough to cart about in the car without having to worry about the laptop as well, plus there's no code book required as it is the same type of readout as Tech 2. Really tempted to go buy while I've got the cash and if I do I'll feedback on the results as I know I still have a fault code lurking from Saturday morning before I changed the glowplugs.

Steve
Let us know how you go cos that CCR looks a handy piece of kit, as you say, it's nice and portable.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2006, 23:32:50 »

I've been looking at their kit for about two years but when they firstcame out the scanner was pretty basic and I was informed by the other forum members that it was not doing much more than the paperclip test. They have moved on a good bit and since we now have two cars that are computer literate it is a bit more worthwhile.
As far as I'm concerned if I can take the car in and show the numpties sorry main dealer technicians  ;) the fault, seeing as they are usully incapable at the garages I visit, then all the better.

Steve

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2006, 23:34:52 »

But with the help of that tool and the people on here you shouldn't really need to let the dealer loose on it again.  ;)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2006, 20:08:06 »

Well I'd love to be able to say that the scanner is the best thing since sliced bread but I can't. Both the Focus and the Meegas fault codes had cleared or in the case of the Meega the code was not being read. I disconnected the glow plug lead from one of the plugs and replicated the earlier fault and although the scanner was communicating with the car, KWP2000 by the way for anyone interested, no faults were picked up. I contacted the dealer and have now been informed that the emissions codes may well be manufacturer codes rather than OBD codes pretty much like the Focus TC/ABS codes. Can't find anything on the KWP protocol to give any clues as to what it can read or not as the case may be or if there is upgrade software available for individual manufacturers as the software can be upgraded by plugging into the pc, cables supplied for serial connection.

Any ideas what I can disconnect to throw up an engine fault so that I can check it out?

The unit is easy to use and read given that it is all in plain english so I hope it works and is worth keeping, I'll be trying it on an EVO7 at the end of the week as it has an engine code flashing up.

Any further updates will be posted.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.