Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel additives...  (Read 1437 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Fuel additives...
« on: 29 May 2020, 11:15:25 »

Hi... remember I know nowt about these odd diesel engines ..... this is the first one I've ever had in 50 odd years of petrol head enjoyment !! This is a 3.0 turbo V6 Allroad

Due to the present covid crisis, the beast is getting very few drives, and those that do occur are shortish - max about 10-15 miles, and that is going the long way round to get to the few places I must get to !! otherwise , for health reasons, we simply don't go out.

Everything I read tells me that short trips are bad for most bits of this engine from the Turbo through to the Cat to the DPF .. but I have no choice at the moment.

I am considering using a fuel additive in an attempt to reduce any problems, and the best I seem to find is "Archoil AR6400-D Max Professional" which claims to fix all the problems mentioned.

Question then, for you guys who "know" these things ... is this a "snakeoil" type claim .. or do these additives work ?? Is it likely to cause any damage or other problems to this engine ?? Is there anything else I should know/be aware of before going down this track ??

Regards and stay safe .... 

Nige

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel additives...
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2020, 13:13:36 »

A load of rubbish, just drive the 10-15 miles hard and get the engine hot.  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2020, 13:25:04 »

Got to agree with that good circulation & use of the components always the best way, a lot of these additives have no proven evidence of doing any good.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 16:23:57 »

My commute is 14 miles each way, with a large chunk of it stuck behind dawdlers on the 50 mph stretch, followed by either back roads or a short blast along a bypass, depending on which way I go. Both my diesel Beemer and my Audi regen just fine on this journey, although I'll admit I'd rather stretch their legs a little longer on the bypass. Being in an Audi or Beemer, your fans would be disappointed if you didn't relieve the stress of being stuck behind a queue of cars doing 38 mph in a 50 mph zone by gunning it straight from the slip road to the outside lane of the bypass to help the regen a little. I like to do my bit to help clear the air so to speak.  :)

Mind you, in saying that, I never suffered with the Omega emissions codes in my 3.2 that some people suffer either.  :-\
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 16:34:43 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 19:50:49 »

I always say a good ragging does the engine the world of good.  I let mine fully warm up for a good 3-5 miles, and let it nicely cool a bit for the last couple of miles.  The bit in between should involve properly exercising the mechanicals and knocking the rust off the brakes :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 19:52:07 »

My commute is 14 miles each way, with a large chunk of it stuck behind dawdlers on the 50 mph stretch, followed by either back roads or a short blast along a bypass, depending on which way I go. Both my diesel Beemer and my Audi regen just fine on this journey, although I'll admit I'd rather stretch their legs a little longer on the bypass. Being in an Audi or Beemer, your fans would be disappointed if you didn't relieve the stress of being stuck behind a queue of cars doing 38 mph in a 50 mph zone by gunning it straight from the slip road to the outside lane of the bypass to help the regen a little. I like to do my bit to help clear the air so to speak.  :)

Mind you, in saying that, I never suffered with the Omega emissions codes in my 3.2 that some people suffer either.  :-\
You must be close to being due another patronisation course from the local constabulary Mr YZ ;D
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2020, 20:00:35 »

Many thanks for that ... as the resident engine expert I take your point well ...  leaves me a tad concerned.....  last time I "drove hard" was in France and it cost me 200 Euros ..... I have a feeling that "driving hard" around here, even in 2nd gear, would quickly cost me my licence !!!  The beast goes far more quickly than the omega ever did !!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2020, 20:12:47 »

I do recall that DTM fella once telling me to take it "for a spirited ride" after he'd fixed it, then told me off for breaking it during said spirited drive ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2020, 20:13:41 »

Clearly forgot to define 'spirited'  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.