Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help choosing rear springs  (Read 1746 times)

TheSoulDoctor_123

• Tavistock, Devon, U.K.
    • Omega 2.6 V6, Mercedes 19
    • View Profile
Help choosing rear springs
« on: 03 April 2019, 10:15:51 »

Hi there,

Easter holidays coming up, so I'm looking at the list of jobs I've been banking up since buying the car a year and a bit ago, get stuck CD drawer out, stick door cards back together so I don't have to listen to that bloody rattling noise from  the door pins >:(  >:(  >:( , repair the glove box handle etc, etc.

Now for the important jobs. The new back box is here and waiting and while I'm under the back of the car, I need to deal with the "slightly corroded" ;D rear springs I was given an "advisory" on for the mot. (The verbal advice following the test was that one was very corroded, and the other was snapped in half). Seeing as we're going to tow a caravan, i'd best sort it and get it safe then.

I've been looking to get some new rear springs, ('51 plate 2.6 automatic saloon) and I'm not sure which ones it needs. Everyone on the forum recommends KYB springs, so I've been looking at those. But I'm not sure which. KYB rx5413 (250 length, 15mm thick, 153o/d), or KYB rx5414 (251l, 15t, 154.5o/d). There are longer springs too, KYB rj6226 (268l, 16t, 158 o/d) plus others. Am I right in thinking they're for a self levelling car? Or are they chunky springs made for towing?

I'd ideally like the car to be capable for holiday towing, but retain it's lovely handling and family ride comfort. Any help or recommendations would be hugely appreciated,

Thanks,

John.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Help choosing rear springs
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2019, 11:11:39 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2019, 18:11:48 »

I would definitely not recommend KYB, they are utter carp. Lucky to last the warranty.

If you have self levelling, keep that if towing. Else a HD.Plod spec rear spring.  For normal use, bog standard Sachs/Boge.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2019, 19:25:14 »

I would definitely not recommend KYB, they are utter carp. Lucky to last the warranty.

If you have self levelling, keep that if towing. Else a HD.Plod spec rear spring.  For normal use, bog standard Sachs/Boge.
Agreed re self levelling if Elite (won't be fitted on anything else) :y

Springs in link above will do exactly what you require of them... Had them on my last estate to good effect :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2019, 19:41:16 »

KYB are shite. Ive got Sachs rear springs on mine. Standard Omega spec rather than elite self levelling spec, even though Ive kept the self levelling dampers.. This makes the rear a little stiffer then .Elite spec which is a good thing.
So standard Omega spec, whether or not your car is an Elite.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2019, 19:46:35 »

My Omegas are Elites with S/L rear suspension, and whenever I have replaced rear springs on them usually due to the pigtail breaking off, I have found that correct aftermarket springs for self levelling are difficult to source in order to get the ride hright correct, and the companies that do list them, invariably the spec is incorrect and the ride height is wrong, being jacked up too high at the rear. Most parts suppliers have 'one size fits all' policy.
From my own experience, I have found genuine VX springs for S/L are the best option, and whilst expensive from VX, the correct ride height is guaranteed. Over the years, I have acquired new sets of genuine VX for little money from now defunct websites like Car Parts Connexion, but I'm sure genuine can be still be found without paying the earth from dealers.
If one size fits all, why did VX specify the large number of variants for the Omega range?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2019, 19:54:40 »

Funny you should say that. When I bought my car it had KYB springs on the rear and sat far too high. Once I fitted the non Elite spec Sachs springs it sits just right.
Elite springs are too soft imo. Standard CD spec springs are much better, although MV6 would be better still but as rare as rocking horse shit.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2019, 20:11:43 »

Varying the amount of junk you keep in the boot will alter the ride height of the rear  :y
though I do "do wheelies" sometimes  :P

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2019, 20:59:22 »

The last aftermarket springs I tried on my Elite saloon were Suplex 23380, mainly on recommendation. At the time, the listing catalogue stated they were for S/L, and off the car they looked right - the same height, correct number of coils and the pigtail finished as the original in a narrower wire diameter.
When fitted, the ride height was higher at the rear than it was originally; not ridiculously high, but enough to be noticeable. Maybe the supplier gave me duff gen to sell them, but they weren't quite right when fitted.
Although the same length, it transpired the coil diameter on the main body of the spring was thicker than the original, and compared to an original VX set, slightly stiffer - hence they wouldn't compress the same under load, resulting in the higher ride height. Useful for towing possibly on a car without S/L, but not necessary with S/L.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2019, 21:05:36 »

Plod springs and S/L were my preferred choice to keep the estate in check, closely followed by the springs I linked to with new Sachs shocks. Ride height was near enough identical between the two arrangements :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2019, 08:01:17 »

When the Elite failed the M.o..T. on a broken rear spring some years ago[must be 5 or 6yrs] I bought a pair of KYB springs[they were the cheapest I could find]and I've had no problems with them since.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2019, 10:45:01 »

When the Elite failed the M.o..T. on a broken rear spring some years ago[must be 5 or 6yrs] I bought a pair of KYB springs[they were the cheapest I could find]and I've had no problems with them since.
How many miles has it done since fitting?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2019, 14:48:48 »

Only about 3,500 I think.I used to use the XJ6 moreand these days it's the V70 that does the bulk of the mileage.

TheSoulDoctor_123

• Tavistock, Devon, U.K.
    • Omega 2.6 V6, Mercedes 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2019, 19:53:49 »

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Very kind of everyone to chip in. Now to order up some springs and get ready to crack on next week!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.