Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Viessmann Boiler pcb failure  (Read 3234 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Viessmann Boiler pcb failure
« on: 19 March 2018, 20:00:33 »

Typical, boiler failed to start yesterday AM, on of the coldest days of the year! Unfortunately no fault codes, just no flame indicator. Last fault code from a previous temporary failure a while ago suggested a faulty ignition electrode, so changed that today with no luck. Very helpful guy at Viessmann talked me through the trouble shooting - the manual is 'somewhat tricky' to follow - to deduce it is the pcb, (at £360 and change) >:( However it is 9 years old, and he said that changing both electrodes was sensible at that age anyway. Bloody annoying as it is almost certainly one small twopenny item that's failed on the board, which is impossible for me to test. New board arrives tomorrow on overnight delivery.
Mrs S not pleased at having to rely on fan heaters and a gas fire.

STEMO

Re: Viessmann Boiler pcb failure
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2018, 20:10:44 »

If it's nine years old, Chris, you really should be thinking about replacing it. It will probably go on Christmas Day next time.
With this being OOF and all, most people will say I'm talking shite, and that their 37 year old boiler is fine..........don't listen.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2018, 20:44:08 »

If it's nine years old, Chris, you really should be thinking about replacing it. It will probably go on Christmas Day next time.
With this being OOF and all, most people will say I'm talking shite, and that their 37 year old boiler is fine..........don't listen.

You jest, but when we moved into our place, the boiler was exactly two months younger than me. Chewed through £120 gas each month and the only room you didn't have to wear a jumper in was the bloody boiler room. The new one was about a £3k install and now gets through around £55 pcm. Payback is around 4yrs, oh and that doesn't include wear 'n' tear on my sweaters  ::)  ;D

It's also been faultless (touch wood) and is only half way through its 8yr warranty  :o.

But yes STEMO, as you say, I'm sure the old one was much better, in oh so many ways...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2018, 08:09:04 »

Typical, boiler failed to start yesterday AM, on of the coldest days of the year! Unfortunately no fault codes, just no flame indicator. Last fault code from a previous temporary failure a while ago suggested a faulty ignition electrode, so changed that today with no luck. Very helpful guy at Viessmann talked me through the trouble shooting - the manual is 'somewhat tricky' to follow - to deduce it is the pcb, (at £360 and change) >:( However it is 9 years old, and he said that changing both electrodes was sensible at that age anyway. Bloody annoying as it is almost certainly one small twopenny item that's failed on the board, which is impossible for me to test. New board arrives tomorrow on overnight delivery.

Chances are its a few dried out electrolytics

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2018, 09:35:19 »

Shackeng, if you’re intending to keep the boiler long term, maybe worth hanging on to the old pcb, and testing m/repairing it so you have a spare you can drop in in future.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2018, 09:41:31 »

Chap I know makes a fortune from replacing these boards, he simply resolders the old ones joints and supplies/fits them as cheap replacements as he has a massive stash of spares
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2018, 09:44:19 »

Yep, they use cheap components and poor soldering techniques then mount the board where it gets hot. Replace the electrolytics with decent quality 105 C rated parts and check for cracked solder joints on the PCB, particularly on the heavy components like relays and transformers and it'll probably never give any hassle again.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2018, 10:32:02 »

Yep, they use cheap components and poor soldering techniques then mount the board where it gets hot. Replace the electrolytics with decent quality 105 C rated parts and check for cracked solder joints on the PCB, particularly on the heavy components like relays and transformers and it'll probably never give any hassle again.
Told ya  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2018, 11:01:02 »

Shackeng, if you’re intending to keep the boiler long term, maybe worth hanging on to the old pcb, and testing m/repairing it so you have a spare you can drop in in future.

Spooky, 2 mins ago I was looking up firms who repair them! Had it not been this time of year, I would likely have sent it off for repair and done without the boiler for a week or two, but it is still f****ng cold and the new board is due here today, so may send the old one off for overhaul. If only it was like the good old days when you could almost see what was happening on cct boards. Our first colour TV back in 1971 went bang a week or two after I bought it. As it was 160 mile round trip to return it, I had a look and found a burnt connection on a board, soldered a connecting wire, and jobs a good 'un. Very unlikely to  be able to do such with modern micro ccts. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2018, 11:01:52 »

Chances are its a few dried out electrolytics

Quite agree Mark, but beyond my skill to check it. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2018, 11:04:34 »

To be fair to Viessmann, due to the design, these boards don't get very warm, and given the quality of the construction of the rest of the boiler, I guess I'm just unlucky. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2018, 11:18:06 »

To be fair to Viessmann, due to the design, these boards don't get very warm, and given the quality of the construction of the rest of the boiler, I guess I'm just unlucky. :y

I was speaking in general based on the boilers I've worked on. If the rest of the boiler is bomb proof, it makes sense to keep a spare board to future proof it. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2018, 14:07:00 »

I was speaking in general based on the boilers I've worked on. If the rest of the boiler is bomb proof, it makes sense to keep a spare board to future proof it. :y

Not thinking of a Potterton Profile perchance?  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2018, 17:16:16 »

Collected pcb at midday (delivery slot booked by DPD for 4.30, but I managed to intercept him thanks to helpful DPD Local staff), fitted in 20 mins, we now have heat. :y :y :y :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2018, 17:21:50 »

Not thinking of a Potterton Profile perchance?  ;D
Well, now you mention it...  ::) Did you have a PCB you wanted me to repair, BTW?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.