Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio ampllifier power source  (Read 7138 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Audio ampllifier power source
« on: 27 December 2017, 11:38:50 »

Father Christmas got me a very nice amp for the omega's system i'm building.
Normaly when i've fitted this sort of thing, the main power supply comes from the battery with a inline fuse fitted.
Okay, the question is .............. is there heavy duty 12 volt busbar behind the dash that I can tap off to save me running a whopping big cable through the bulkhead of the car OR is it a case of tough titty   :)

The amp is a Focal Auditor 4 x 70 watts ( 4 ohms) RMS so its not exactly lightweight  ;D

TIA  :-*

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Audio ampllifier power source
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2017, 11:45:03 »

Think you're going to have to go, thro,the bulkhead into engine bay,  same way as the constabluary,use to wire up all the gubbins.
Hoof'land storeman.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2017, 12:52:58 »

Think you're going to have to go, thro,the bulkhead into engine bay,  same way as the constabluary,use to wire up all the gubbins.

Yeh, I was fearing that  :(

Oh well, its glove box out time again  :(

Cheers Griff  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2017, 13:13:46 »

The Amp is the heart of the Sound System in terms of Power Consumption and current drain, so needs to be run directly to the Battery using suitable power gauge cable and fuse (if not supplied).

Keep the Negative cable feed as short as possible (without it being coiled up) to a good clean Chassis / Earth point, also, unless instructed by the Amp Manufacture (for heat reasons), do not bolt to the Amp Chassis to the Car Chassis (Earth), use plastic / rubber grommets or a wooden baffle to secure it.   ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2017, 13:33:02 »

The Amp is the heart of the Sound System in terms of Power Consumption and current drain, so needs to be run directly to the Battery using suitable power gauge cable and fuse (if not supplied).

Keep the Negative cable feed as short as possible (without it being coiled up) to a good clean Chassis / Earth point, also, unless instructed by the Amp Manufacture (for heat reasons), do not bolt to the Amp Chassis to the Car Chassis (Earth), use plastic / rubber grommets or a wooden baffle to secure it.   ;)

My thoughts precisely Chris but I thought i'd pop the question anyway  :y

How good a earth is the boot floor or am I better off running the neg behind the side panelling and drilling / bolting it to the framework ?

The unit comes with 2 piece plastic mounting grommets  :y

Just popped into Halfrauds and relieved myself of 20 sheckles for one of there VIBE amp fitting kits.
Must say, i'm not a fan of anything audio wise that they sell but this kit seems pretty spot on even down to a LT trigger wire  :y
Shame its only got 2 RCA leads in it so that's something else needed on the shopping list.  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2017, 15:00:56 »

How good a earth is the boot floor or am I better off running the neg behind the side panelling and drilling / bolting it to the framework ?

Just popped into Halfrauds and relieved myself of 20 sheckles for one of there VIBE amp fitting kits.
Must say, i'm not a fan of anything audio wise that they sell but this kit seems pretty spot on even down to a LT trigger wire  :y
Shame its only got 2 RCA leads in it so that's something else needed on the shopping list.  :(

did yoo get some neons, and a jaunty angled baseball cap, init, for dem banging toons,,, :D :D :D   please don't take it seriously, and flounce :-X
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2017, 20:46:52 »

If you have a pikey hook fitted, can you not use the feed for the van socket... :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2017, 21:59:56 »

Best to install a suitably rated feed (will probably need to be 40+amps).
You can install an additional fuse in the Fusible link box that sits above the battery positive terminal, which makes a neat conversion.
Feed the wire through a hole poked in the big rubber grommet behind the cabin filter or on DBW cars you can put a grommet in the vacant hole that used to be used for the throttle cable.
About 7 metres of wire are required to get to the cubby hole in the rear IME.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2017, 10:42:42 »

did yoo get some neons, and a jaunty angled baseball cap, init, for dem banging toons,,, :D :D :D   please don't take it seriously, and flounce :-X

I'm that bad smell you can never get rid of  ;D
I'll never leave .............. and that wasn't a challenge yeh bulling bastards  ;D ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2017, 10:47:02 »

If you have a pikey hook fitted, can you not use the feed for the van socket... :-\

Too lightweight in this case Al
The amp has 2 x 15 amp blade fuses for starters so i'm looking at 10 or 8 awg cable and a inline 40 amp HRC fuse if my Vodka / Guinness / Pear Cider / Whiskey / Black Russian fuelled brain is working correctly  ;D ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2017, 10:49:30 »

Best to install a suitably rated feed (will probably need to be 40+amps).
You can install an additional fuse in the Fusible link box that sits above the battery positive terminal, which makes a neat conversion.
Feed the wire through a hole poked in the big rubber grommet behind the cabin filter or on DBW cars you can put a grommet in the vacant hole that used to be used for the throttle cable.
About 7 metres of wire are required to get to the cubby hole in the rear IME.

Hoping to get away with 5 meters that came in the kit Kev but I will soon find out 

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2018, 17:30:58 »

Okay, now its dry and a little bit warmer, I thought i'd better get on with running all the cables for this little lot  :)

All RCA's are in.
The 12 volt feed is in.
The amp LT trigger wire is in.
Just need to solder the new speaker cables into the exsisting loom.
I'm looking at soldering / heat shrinking the new cables at the point it travels up into the rubber conduit then into the doors.
Cables are laid in place, just need to find out which cables I need to cut  :-\

I'm looking for the cable colours / idents for .....................

Front nearside
Rear nearside
Front offside
Rear offside

Anybody help on this ?

Kev, 5 metres JUST was enough from the battery area to the amp  ;) :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2018, 21:00:13 »

Okay, now its dry and a little bit warmer, I thought i'd better get on with running all the cables for this little lot  :)

All RCA's are in.
The 12 volt feed is in.
I'm looking at soldering / heat shrinking the new cables at the point it travels up into the rubber conduit then into the doors.

Front nearside
Rear nearside
Front offside
Rear offside

Anybody help on this ?

Im in Brain Dead mode at the moment but isnt there a Colour Map of the Kick Panel Connector here on OOF somewhere (or maybe another Site :-\) that would help you?

Are you not running fresh Cable from the New Amp to each Speaker?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2018, 23:36:14 »

All RCA's are in.
The 12 volt feed is in.

Front nearside
Rear nearside
Front offside
Rear offside

Anybody help on this ?

Im in Brain Dead mode at the moment but isnt there a Colour Map of the Kick Panel Connector here on OOF somewhere (or maybe another Site :-\) that would help you?

Are you not running fresh Cable from the New Amp to each Speaker?

I'll have a nosey in morning Chris but green / green with a white trace rings a bell.
Not sure if its the same for all 4 doors. Its been a while since I have been in there  ;)

And yes, its fresh upgraded cable from the amp to the loom were it goes into the doors.
I'll see if I can get the new cable through the rubber conduit upto the cross over box that's cut into the back of the door cards.
If not i'll leave the last 2 foot of old cable in and solder the new stuff to it  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2018, 00:12:05 »

If you can get the driver's kick panel connector from an old Bose loom it's plug and play.

EDIT: and you can connect all 4 speakers there and not have to fight getting cables into the doors.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 00:15:47 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.