Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Voluntary Termination question... car finance...  (Read 2662 times)

05omegav6

Voluntary Termination question... car finance...
« on: 02 December 2014, 14:26:35 »

Under a standard HP agreement and as detailed in Section 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974/2006, you can return goods once you have paid at least half of the agreement total and have taken reasonable care of the goods with no further liability.

In example...

Purchase price £10,000
Deposit £1,000
Finance £9,000
Payments 36 x £300
Total payable £10800

The 50% minimum would be (£10800/2) £5,400.

That is all fine, have done this previously on this basis, so understand how it works. But...

It has been suggested that you can Voluntarily Terminate at ANY point and only be held liable for the first 50% of the agreement value.

So using the example above, say 4 payments made of £300, given a paid to date total of £1,200. Car gets returned to finance company and sold at auction. Provided the car sells for £4,200 (£5,400-£1,200) or more, there's no further liability.

Is this correct? :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Voluntary Termination question... car finance...
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2014, 14:27:48 »

I thought it was a third, not half :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2014, 14:59:15 »

Under a standard HP agreement and as detailed in Section 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974/2006, you can return goods once you have paid at least half of the agreement total and have taken reasonable care of the goods with no further liability.

In example...

Purchase price £10,000
Deposit £1,000
Finance £9,000
Payments 36 x £300
Total payable £10800

The 50% minimum would be (£10800/2) £5,400.

That is all fine, have done this previously on this basis, so understand how it works. But...

It has been suggested that you can Voluntarily Terminate at ANY point and only be held liable for the first 50% of the agreement value.

So using the example above, say 4 payments made of £300, given a paid to date total of £1,200. Car gets returned to finance company and sold at auction. Provided the car sells for £4,200 (£5,400-£1,200) or more, there's no further liability.

Is this correct? :-\
No, that's not correct. The finance company would be losing out to the tune of £4600...£10000 minus the £5400 they had recouped. The whole idea of the goods being returned in a reasonable condition after half of the debt has been repaid is that they can recover the other half by resale.
Also, if the credit agreement is not settled to the lenders satisfaction, they will put a marker on your credit file.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2014, 15:02:43 by STMO »

The Sheriff

« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2014, 15:01:42 »

When I saw 'voluntary termination' I thought Gixer was gonna actually do it. Bah.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2014, 15:21:23 »

When I saw 'voluntary termination' I thought Gixer was gonna actually do it. Bah.
So did I as it happens  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2014, 18:18:43 »

I thought it was a third, not half :-\
Thirds apply to repossession... Cannot be repossessed without a court order once you have paid at least a third :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2014, 22:36:28 »

Right, voluntary termination is not allowed to mark your credit file, but the lender in question might 'choose' not to lend to you anytime soon...

Last car agreement I VTd had £8,375 left, and a retail value of £2,500 at most... in that case, the finance company received 64% of the agreement value in total...

Using my earlier example, 64% of the agreement value would be £6,921, so as long as the car achieves 50%, anything over and above is gravy for the finance company... so not sure that Stmos take on the maths holds water :-\
« Last Edit: 02 December 2014, 22:42:39 by Taxi Al »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2014, 08:07:18 »

Not sure yours does, I agree with STMO, your first set of calcs leaves the finance company out of pocket big time.....good luck with that one

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2014, 10:06:01 »

You can voluntary terminate at any time by requesting a 'settlement figure' calculated by the 'Rule of 78ths' which basically deducts the amount of outstanding interest from the total amount payable and in theory you pay back the remaining capital amount plus 'admin charges'.  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

The Sheriff

« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2014, 10:07:27 »

Right, voluntary termination is not allowed to mark your credit file, but the lender in question might 'choose' not to lend to you anytime soon...

Last car agreement I VTd had £8,375 left, and a retail value of £2,500 at most... in that case, the finance company received 64% of the agreement value in total...

Using my earlier example, 64% of the agreement value would be £6,921, so as long as the car achieves 50%, anything over and above is gravy for the finance company... so not sure that Stmos take on the maths holds water :-\
My figures are ok, it's only adding and taking away, even I can do that. I'm not sure if its come across the way you wanted it to, or if I've misunderstood what you're trying to say.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2014, 10:28:51 »

Your maths is fine :y, it was the wrong word...

I saw mention of the fact that it was possible to VT at any point (provided the finance company receive at least half of the agreement) on a money advice website.

You can voluntary terminate at any time by requesting a 'settlement figure' calculated by the 'Rule of 78ths' which basically deducts the amount of outstanding interest from the total amount payable and in theory you pay back the remaining capital amount plus 'admin charges'.  ::)

That's not VT, merely early settlement... I would keep the car in this case.

The aim is to dispose of both the car (in negative equity) and the agreement. If the car achieves £14.5-15k at auction, then they would be no worse off than if I VTd in 2 years/180k miles time... :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2014, 10:34:50 »

Thats where I suspect you are missing the point.....the worse of bit.

The finance company will not walk away with a loss.....unless you default and take the consequences associated.

If the calcs mean the finance company are fully reimbursed plus something for their trouble then its a different matter.

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2014, 10:40:53 »

Surely they lose out regardless whether the car goes back now or in two years time :-\

They aren't obliged to like or be happy about it, but they are legally bound by Section 100...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2014, 10:49:25 »

Surely they lose out regardless whether the car goes back now or in two years time :-\

They aren't obliged to like or be happy about it, but they are legally bound by Section 100...

If they lose out in anyway......do you think they will go quietly?

Or that your record will be unaffected in anyway?

Or that everyone would not be doing this?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2014, 11:03:54 »

Taxi Al......I would look more deeply into this. You may be correct but I very much doubt it.

As already stated, finance companies are not noted for their benevolence.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.