Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chernobyl  (Read 3129 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Chernobyl
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2019, 22:42:24 »

Daughter and son in law visited it when they went to the Ukraine for the euros in 2012. Rather them than me.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2019, 00:04:26 »

Area my wife comes from is about 200 miles from Chernobyl but was affected by the radiation, especially their local town which is dominated by its granite quarry. Where the town is a designated area, they got a bit of extra funding, earlier retirement at 55 & a slightly higher pension but still around the average pension of £15pm. The real heavy pollution was confined to the exclusion zone & over the border in Belarus with further a field affected mainly by Caesium 137 which has a half life of 30 years. Radio active Iodine only has a half life of 8 days, but because no precautions were taken to stop milk production, some children did get Thyroid cancer. Harvesting wild mushrooms in the autumn which can have higher levels of radiation has carried on as normal with no statistically significant increases of cancer in those not directly involved in the near accident area or directly involved in controlling it.

Ukrainians are thousands more likely to die from industrial & car accidents or drinking themselves to death with Vodka with a average age span of 66 years, whereas for women it is the high 70's. A litre of village distilled vodka of up to 90% alcohol cost 3p & my MIL's  neighbour drinks at least one of those everyday & during the summer takes their milk cow to the local communal pasture, bottle of vodka in hand as he goes to spend the day 'looking after it' as he swigs the bottle. Village unemployment is high & even if there was any work a significant minority could not do normal work where the daily bottle always wins. Where in the UK male v female parity is reached at about 35 due to higher male mortality rate where it's reached at 18 in Ukraine with the number of women massively exceed the number of men by the time the women get into their 30s. Russian statistics are much worse than this & they also have a high incidence of AIDS so the average male only lives to 60. Ruaaian women has been voted the most beautiful & they certainly have more than average number of real beautiful ones.

Interviews I've read on Ukrainians who were directly involved in the disaster & have watched these programs is that the series in very different to what it was actually like there at the time, as it is a story & dramatisation based on what happened.

Background radiation varies considerably around the world & granite rock is naturally high where volcanoes have spewed it out from the highly radioactive earth's core. Some of the Black Sea black sand beaches in Ukraine are alarmingly so from natural radiation. In the UK Cornwall is high with radioactive Radon gas a hazard, so houses have to have ventilation systems to keep it at safe levels. We & other animals have to cope with background radiation & cosmic events so we do have a natural built-in amount of radiation hardness which also means that wildlife in the exclusion zone has risen massively where they don't have to compete against humans & have shown few affects to the much higher than natural radiation.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2019, 01:05:18 »

Yeah watched it when it came out, Was very well made fair play. Enjoyed it  :y

It’s also done some good bringing the dangers of Nuclear if/when one goes wrong for whatever reason to the spotlight. It’s been mentioned quite a bit since the release of this series on the news, newspapers etc.. Also educated some people who where previously oblivious.

Snowdonia North Wales area was pretty badly affected with the fallout from Chernobyl as mentioned above for the farmers / lamb etc... Plus who knows what affects this has had on people in the area.
I think the effects are plain for all to see  ;D
.                                                     Oi, watch it :y.    Yeah I saw it too all episodes at once, enjoyed it too, bit more of a drama than a documentary but better than most of the crap soaps etc being peddled these days.
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2019, 17:15:32 »

Just watched another two episodes. Gripping.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2019, 17:28:21 »

Just watched another two episodes. Gripping.

And horrific. Both visually(the 90 seconds throwing graphite off the roof :o ) and the attitudes of the people "in charge."

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2019, 17:53:34 »

Is this on Netflix, Amazon or something like that?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2019, 18:04:13 »

Sky Atlantic. Finished now so only available on catch up.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2019, 18:09:08 »

it's a SKY original production
so on sky or now tv
now tv can be viewed for free for a 7 day free trial (remember to cancel the subscription  ;) )
NOW TV clicky

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2019, 18:17:55 »

so on sky or now tv
now tv can be viewed for free for a 7 day free trial (remember to cancel the subscription  ;) )
NOW TV clicky
I'd keep it for £7.99 a month.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2019, 18:21:15 »

I watched via a dodgy app cast to my telly 🙄🙄

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 July 2019, 18:29:59 »

so on sky or now tv
NOW TV clicky
I'd keep it for £7.99 a month.
I have SKY ,as do many other people
I mentioned NOW TV for those who don't and it was a way of watching Chernobyl for free
some people are poor , those still in the EU for example Uncle Stemo   :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.