Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VPN again  (Read 806 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
VPN again
« on: 14 November 2019, 23:24:17 »

I need an SSL VPN apparently.

My Satellite modem went faulty and when fixed will no longer have a UK IP address. I understand the reasons why..

However I will no longer be able to download UK TV , like BBC iplayer.

Provider says I need a SSL VPN  on my Linksys E1200 router.

Any recommendations please? Dont mind paying  but see below. Sorry for another VPN thread after the Nord zvPN thread last week.

I will also be looking at rural Unlimited SIM based internet soon now I have lost the UK I P address so will need a VPN on that too.when I ditch the satellite.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

Re: VPN again
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2019, 07:41:53 »

What do you want the VPN on - you said your router, but that's a route fraught with technical challenges usually.

With the stock firmware you'd need a VPN provider supporting PPTP (very few home use ones do) and your best bet is just to Google whoever has instructions for your router - PureVPN do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKdRSWnG0Y
Or you could flash dd-wrt firmware onto it and find a VPN provider supporting OpenVPN (like VyprVPN) and use that. No offence, but I suspect that might be a step too far :)

If you watch TV on "normal devices" like a laptop or phone then just get a-n-other VPN provider who offers an app for your platform and use that; I suggest PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN. I'd give you a link, but since all VPN providers are blocked on our corporate network, I can't look it up for you ;D

If you want to watch TV on a roku/NowTV box/Apple TV/Smart TV then your best bet is a VPN on the router itself, so back to the top option.

[edit] BTW - SSL is the transport technology used to tunnel your traffic. SSL VPNs are usually used on endpoints like a computer, phone etc (my company makes one, as do many others, that are used by large corporates) - they are simple to implement but only suited to endpoint traffic. Routers and the like are usually "network to network" VPN tunnels and those are PPTP, IPSec or OpenVPN which is a sort of hybrid between SSL VPN & PPTP.
« Last Edit: 15 November 2019, 07:43:40 by aaronjb »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2019, 09:22:31 »

Yes it would be a step too far.

Simplistically, I just wanted something that could easily install on the end of the satellite internet i.e.our router.

Apart from downloading as opposed to streaming bbc programmes due to 30gb monthly limit, everything else could just be normal internet.

Maybe the best way is to install a VPN on my ipad  or possibly one Windows10 PC.? Any TV downloads via those devices.

Maybe VPN Freedom or Smart DNS proxy?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2019, 11:17:14 »

When I'm abroad, as my router at home has a load of VPN options built in, I just run up the inbuilt VPN on my gayDevice, and all traffic appears to come from my home IP.

Mind you, I do pay my TV licence, so I am allowed to :D

If you have family in Blighty, and aren't going to constantly rape their bandwidth, having a (Spanish) router to (UK) router VPN should be trivial with the right gear...   ...but you need a firm understanding of routing to prevent unwanted traffic going over the (inefficient, due to the additional encapsulation increasing traffic size (and additional processing on the routers)) VPN.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.